Newbie Question About Filter/valve

Good day all,

First post. Curious question. I've got a saltwater system. Water looks great. Levels seem right. Only thing is, the "sight glass" on my valve is green. I've backwashed, and it goes away, but comes back. Of course, green is a scary color, and I am starting to worry a bit.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Phil

Pool specs:

30000 gal. saltwater

Pentair filter

Aquapure cell

Phil,

the sightglass is for backwashing...if there is moisture in that line and its starting to get warm out again you will see algae growth in it...of course you will see it go away when you backwash...the algae in this line will not make it into your circulation system....

in the future remove the sightglass for a minute after you backwash...it simply unscrews....it will drain down the water in the backwash line and you probably wont see any algae growth in it anymore

Thanks so much. I will try that. Followup question regarding backwashing and chemicals.

After I backwash, all I need to do is add the DE, right? I have been adding 6 scoops each time I do that. Is that too much? Too little? The pool is about 30000 gallon SWG.

Also, all I add to the pool is acid, salt, the purple stuff and shock. Should I be adding anything else? I'm in Houston, so it gets hot and humid. Pool was built in December 07. I am afraid of all the horror stories about algae I've read, but I also don't want to be adding thousands of chemicals that all just might balance each other out (or do more harm than good...).

Thanks again for any assistance,

Phil

it depends on what filter you have...give me the make and model and I'll let you know how much de you need to add after backwashing

Thanks so much. I will try that. Followup question regarding backwashing and chemicals.

After I backwash, all I need to do is add the DE, right? I have been adding 6 scoops each time I do that. Is that too much? Too little? The pool is about 30000 gallon SWG.

Also, all I add to the pool is acid, salt, the purple stuff and shock. Should I be adding anything else? I'm in Houston, so it gets hot and humid. Pool was built in December 07. I am afraid of all the horror stories about algae I've read, but I also don't want to be adding thousands of chemicals that all just might balance each other out (or do more harm than good...).

Thanks again for any assistance,

Phil

hi Phil.

what is this "purple stuff" you're adding? also, how often are you adding these things?How often do you test your water?

The Purple Stuff Salt Solution from Jack's Magic (it was recommended by my builder). it is a sequesterant that prevents staining, scaling. Not absolutely sure if I need it or not. I put it in once a week. I add acid when I need to, and I "officially" shock the pool once a week and throw some extra in after we have a pool party or a heavy rain. Brings up another question... I use Litho Shock. How much of that should I use on 30K gal.?

And I test about every day. (I've had the pool for 4 months now, so I still find all this incredibly fun!)

Thanks again,

Phil