Costco Oc 850l Delivered

pdampier

Thanks, I may go back tommorrow and see if its still there.

What does this tell you about Costco's mark up. They are paying less than 2500 bucks for these things from Cal. And starting out selling them for 4 grand. About the same as a dealer mark up.

Well, there is only one priced at this price. It is pushed way in the back side isle of the store and says originally 4,999 now 2,500. It looks a little beat up and has one small hole in the side of casing and lots of scratches on case. Maybe it was a customer return or a floor model. I think thats why it is priced so low. Seems like a good deal for someone who is not picky.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I may go back tommorrow and see if its still there.

What does this tell you about Costco's mark up. They are paying less than 2500 bucks for these things from Cal. And starting out selling them for 4 grand. About the same as a dealer mark up.

Well, there is only one priced at this price. It is pushed way in the back side isle of the store and says originally 4,999 now 2,500. It looks a little beat up and has one small hole in the side of casing and lots of scratches on case. Maybe it was a customer return or a floor model. I think thats why it is priced so low. Seems like a good deal for someone who is not picky.

Theres no dout 2500 is cheap. You may be able to find a good quality used tub for around that price also.

It doesn't tell you a single thing about Costco's markup. What it says is that Costco floor space is extremely valuable. Having any item that doesn't move, for any reason, is costing them money. Costco, like any reasonable business, understand the concept of 'opportunity cost' and will mark things down and take a loss if the (floor space x time) is potentially worth more than the loss - or if they have stuff coming in and need a place for it - remember, Costco hasn't got a warehouse, the store IS the warehouse..

Costco doesn't mark anything in their warehouse up more than 14%. This isn't a secret, the CEO Jim Senegal, has been very open about their policies. They generate their $$ through volume & membership fees. The item that generates the larget profit for Costco is toilet paper (this is a fact), not spas.

You folks getting the spas at Costco - Enjoy! I have a Hydrospa Legend from Costco, which if you believe everything you read here (heaven help you!) is the worst disaster in the civilized world. But I love it, it works every day and other than a minor issue when new hasn't had a single hiccup.

Wow $2,500 is a killer deal for this.

I've had 3 months worth of electric bills now and despite increases in electric rates since last year my bills for April, May and June have been basically $8 to $13 extra each month of which the rate increase would account for $5 or so at least. April was also a very cold month here in Seattle - we had snow!

I also noticed that when I turned off the Spa prior to a refill in early July I turned it off on Wed PM at a 100 degree temp. By Sat when I went to empty it the temp was still 99! Outside air temp had prob been 50 at night and 75 or so during the day. I thought that was a pretty good temp hold!

Cal Spa has also been extrememly responsive. They shipped me a new cover when the one I had developed a bubble underneath it - not a serious defect but it caused a werid "bounce" where I was concerned the seal would not be a good as it should be in winter etc.

I also just noticed that one of the air control valves would slowly shut off after you opened it - they're shipping replacements for all of them and arranging for a tech to install. I've been very pleased with how responsive their customer service dept has been - they actually return email and phone calls which I've found to be unheard of these days!

I'm curious as to where you found it. Here in the Phoenix they were 4599. I'd love to get one even if it was a floor model as we finally got our pad poured and can't find the spa. :( That price is awesome. Looking at the other models Costco has online I'm not sure which to go with. Nothing seems as good. We looked at some Jacuzzi spa's as well as some Sundance spa's and their price just seems crazy compared to the Costco spas. Any recommendations? Any we should run away from? The discussion boards seem to be about equal for pro's and con's for the one's I've gone through so far.

It doesn't tell you a single thing about Costco's markup.

You are allowed to believe what you want about Costco. The rest of us can revel in the fact that we said all along it was a 2500 dollar Hot Tub. Like any other business they ARE NOT selling it for a loss. And if you want to believe the spin the CEO puts on the store for it's members go agead. I personaly will choose normal coorperate America.

You are allowed to believe what you want about Costco. The rest of us can revel in the fact that we said all along it was a 2500 dollar Hot Tub. Like any other business they ARE NOT selling it for a loss. And if you want to believe the spin the CEO puts on the store for it's members go agead. I personaly will choose normal coorperate America.

Roger, loss leaders are a fact of life in retail. Discounting damaged, slow moving items or floor models to below cost is also a fact of life in retail. Get over it. Costco offers great deals. Sometimes they offer REALLY great deals.

Roger, loss leaders are a fact of life in retail. Discounting damaged, slow moving items or floor models to below cost is also a fact of life in retail. Get over it. Costco offers great deals. Sometimes they offer REALLY great deals.

Let me just clarify this a bit. Costco offers great deals on inexpensive merchandise, not top notch merchandise.

Let me just clarify this a bit. Costco offers great deals on inexpensive merchandise, not top notch merchandise.

Roger, you're shameless. Obviously your comments are driven by your bias and not by any objective rationale.

Roger, you're shameless. Obviously your comments are driven by your bias and not by any objective rationale.

Went back today to buy it and it was already sold..... I guess you snooze you lose.... I am so bummed.

Biased towards what Water???

I have seen dozens of inexpensive tubs of different brands. And the same amount of more expensive spas. I have never tryed to steer anyone towards any brand. So inform me of my bias. An inexpensive spa is not the same as an expensive spa. It will not last as long and will be more trouble over it's shorter life expectancy. Essentialy giving you exactly what you pay for...less.

Roger, you haven't recommended any brand, but you consistently talk down Costco spas in dozens if nt hundreds of threads on this forum - even spas you have never seen or evaluated. So, it seems to me that you're clearly biased against Costco and other big box retailers.

You ARE however dead right - an inexpensive spa ISN'T the same as an expensive spa. For one thing, it costs less! And I bet there are plenty of cases where that is in fact the ONLY real difference. I buy lots of stuff at Costco that costs less than identical stuff at the supermarket or department store. Of course, a lot of the time I get a bigger container at Costco, but frequently the bigger container costs less than the regular size container at the other retailers. Compare price of Pantene shampoo, Patron tequila, Roundup concentrate weed killer, Cheerios..... we could be here all day. Is my bottle of Jack Daniel's from Costco inferior to the smaller bottle that costs more at the liquor store around the corner? Your seem to inexplicably argue that because Costco charges less, the product must be inferior. Absurd! In my world, it's just plain dumb to pay more for something than you have to. We've gone round and round about why Costco can charge less than spa specialty retailers.... you don't seem to buy any of it, or maybe you just choose to deny the reality that Costco's business model and overhead structure allows them to sell items - sometimes very good items - for lower prices.

To be clear, I am NOT saying that a $3000 spa is comparable in design, performance, features or quality to a higher end spa costing two or three times as much. I'm also not saying it isn't comparable. What I am saying is that any product should be evaluated based on more than the store it came from and/or the price tag - neither of which have much to do with anything.

I haven't looked at the spa these folks are talking about in this thread. Have you? If you know there's something wrong with it, what would that be? I suspect you haven't seen it, so it is perplexing as to how you can be so sure that it will give more trouble or have a shorter life than another one based solely on its price and the fact that it came from Costco. Oh, and of course your assertion that you've seen hundreds of these things and the differences are obvious. But again, have you even seen THIS tub? Seems like you're really just saying, "It came from Costco so - trust me - it must not be too good". That's what I call anti-Costco bias.

By the way, my Hydrospa Legend that you think is a cheap low end spa even though you've never seen a Legend... still working, still looking good, all the features still work. I'm heading out there right now. Maybe tonight will be the night that it finally falls apart. After all, it's from Costco.

Way to give it to 'em Hot Water! I bought this very tub (as posted earlier in this thread) I love it, it is Manufactured by Cal, and it works, works, oh and ya, I almost forgot it works! I paid for mine when the price originally started to come down (it was a limited run, and won't be back) Every costco within driving distance was "sold out" except for one, and I got the last sealed unit from the warehouse. This is a great tub! This forum is full of "Big Box Haters", and I automactically discount anyone who immediately puts down products from costco. Anyone who shops there regulalry knows that most of their products are very good quality. This is the only spa I have purchased from them, so I can only speak to this particular model, but it is a great tub!

Roger, you haven't recommended any brand, but you consistently talk down Costco spas in dozens if nt hundreds of threads on this forum - even spas you have never seen or evaluated. So, it seems to me that you're clearly biased against Costco and other big box retailers.

You ARE however dead right - an inexpensive spa ISN'T the same as an expensive spa. For one thing, it costs less! And I bet there are plenty of cases where that is in fact the ONLY real difference. I buy lots of stuff at Costco that costs less than identical stuff at the supermarket or department store. Of course, a lot of the time I get a bigger container at Costco, but frequently the bigger container costs less than the regular size container at the other retailers. Compare price of Pantene shampoo, Patron tequila, Roundup concentrate weed killer, Cheerios..... we could be here all day. Is my bottle of Jack Daniel's from Costco inferior to the smaller bottle that costs more at the liquor store around the corner? Your seem to inexplicably argue that because Costco charges less, the product must be inferior. Absurd! In my world, it's just plain dumb to pay more for something than you have to. We've gone round and round about why Costco can charge less than spa specialty retailers.... you don't seem to buy any of it, or maybe you just choose to deny the reality that Costco's business model and overhead structure allows them to sell items - sometimes very good items - for lower prices.

To be clear, I am NOT saying that a $3000 spa is comparable in design, performance, features or quality to a higher end spa costing two or three times as much. I'm also not saying it isn't comparable. What I am saying is that any product should be evaluated based on more than the store it came from and/or the price tag - neither of which have much to do with anything.

I haven't looked at the spa these folks are talking about in this thread. Have you? If you know there's something wrong with it, what would that be? I suspect you haven't seen it, so it is perplexing as to how you can be so sure that it will give more trouble or have a shorter life than another one based solely on its price and the fact that it came from Costco. Oh, and of course your assertion that you've seen hundreds of these things and the differences are obvious. But again, have you even seen THIS tub? Seems like you're really just saying, "It came from Costco so - trust me - it must not be too good". That's what I call anti-Costco bias.

By the way, my Hydrospa Legend that you think is a cheap low end spa even though you've never seen a Legend... still working, still looking good, all the features still work. I'm heading out there right now. Maybe tonight will be the night that it finally falls apart. After all, it's from Costco.

Yes I consistantly talk down Costco's choice of tub to retail because they choose low end manufacturers to build them price point specific tubs for them and them only and sell with absolutly no knowledge of Hot Tubs what so ever. True or not true Water?

And you are absolutly dead wrong if you can not see any other difference between the brands sold at Costco (tubs that is ) and an 8000 dollar (insert quality brand here) Your blind, or way out of the loop on component manufacturers and plumbing design and effieciency!! It will never be the only difference between a Costco tub and a dealer tub...as you stated in your post. However Costco does a great job (like hundreds of other big box stores), on Cherrios and Whisky.

But you don't know if it is comparable or not yet you think yours is just as good or are you just being wishy washy?? I guess I am confused because when I say it is what it is a low end inexpensive tub you dissagree.....Huh.

And I, just like you, hope and wish for some magic from a secret spa factory someplace that allows a super quality, no problem, long lasting tub to come out for the public to purchase for half or one third the price of a qaulity tub...but guess what Water. I'm a realist.

Yes I consistantly talk down Costco's choice of tub to retail because they choose low end manufacturers to build them price point specific tubs for them and them only and sell with absolutly no knowledge of Hot Tubs what so ever. True or not true Water?

And you are absolutly dead wrong if you can not see any other difference between the brands sold at Costco (tubs that is ) and an 8000 dollar (insert quality brand here) Your blind, or way out of the loop on component manufacturers and plumbing design and effieciency!! It will never be the only difference between a Costco tub and a dealer tub...as you stated in your post. However Costco does a great job (like hundreds of other big box stores), on Cherrios and Whisky.

But you don't know if it is comparable or not yet you think yours is just as good or are you just being wishy washy?? I guess I am confused because when I say it is what it is a low end inexpensive tub you dissagree.....Huh.

And I, just like you, hope and wish for some magic from a secret spa factory someplace that allows a super quality, no problem, long lasting tub to come out for the public to purchase for half or one third the price of a qaulity tub...but guess what Water. I'm a realist.

Ok, so now we're getting to the truth. You admit that you are, in this area, just a Costco basher. So, thanks, that places your comments in context.

Yup, Costco has no spa experts like you... or Jimmy Jim. And I'm not trying to offend you by mentioning you in the same sentence as that guy - but when you speak about items you haven't seen, you are guilty of trying to manipulate opinion based on your agenda. There's a little bit of a parallel there - get my drift?

I'm not wishy washy, Roger. I merely saying that I haven't seen every model of Costco spa, and therefore cannot really have ANY sort of legitimate opinion. I try not to speak out of my derierre. When I offer an opinion, I have reasons. You or anyone else don't have to agree. I won't comment EITHER WAY on the OC850I because I haven't seen it. I did, on the other hand, research the spa I purchased - I could care less what you think, but you're simply wrong. It's a good spa with good name brand parts in it. In my case I'm lucky enough that I don't have to buy based on low price. But part of the reason that I have that fortunate circumstance is that I've always spent my money with my eyes open - I don't waste money. You can claim that I am blind and all that, but you can't point to what exactly is wrong with my spa... or this OC850I. You argue that "you get what you pay for", but most people who live in the real world have figured out that this saying is just dead wrong!! It is NOT a fact that you "get what you pay for". The world is full of over-priced rip-offs. The fact is you have to evaluate the product ON ITS MERITS, not its price or the fact that it comes from Costco. If Costco (or Home Depot or ....) did in fact discover the secret spa factory you refer to, it wouldn't matter because the negative people would disparage it and discourage people without ever seeing it.

Bad news, Roger. Most dealer spa salespeople don't know squat about spas, either. They just know their sales pitch. Every shopper out there reading this has experienced this first-hand. Dealers push what they have and they have what they can make the most margin on. A shopper gets a lot of confusing, conflicting info and about as much useful information from a dealer as they get from...... a Costco basher that has never seen the spa in question. Your advice seems to be, "Spend Lots". No, no no! You do offer some of that but it's buried under all the anti-Costco rhetoric. When folks above talk about getting the OC850I for $2500, why not say, "here's how to evaluate this spa" instead of "It's a $2500 spa, you get what you pay for". Silly comments, Roger.

Why do I care about this? I am not in the industry, and I don't work for Costco. Your posts get my irish up becasue they serve no purpose other than to discourage people and make them feel bad or doubt their purchase. Sorry, I don't see the helpfulness there. You seem to be in the FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) business on this topic. On the other hand, if you actually did have some info about problems with these spas then that would be good. But I've read a bunch of these Costco threads and the Costco bashers don't ever seem to pony up anything that seems real.

Hey Hot Water, just to add a little third party perspective, I thought I'd add a couple of thoughts. There are a lot of people on these forums that bash the big box stores without hearing much. But there are also LOTS of horror stories about SOME of the tubs that Costco and the other big box stores have sold. And a lot of naive consumers that say: "The spa I bought at Costco has 45 jets and a stereo, and is the exact same tub you bought from your dealer for $9,000 and I paid only $4500." Several of the manufacturers that Costco used have gone under, and have been found to use inferior parts compared to the major manufacturers. Most of the big box tubs have inferior insulation (although, the new Cal tub looks pretty decent), and have caused their customers to run up huge electric bills until they realized they had to further insulate the tubs themselves. I don't think it's a stretch to say that most of the tubs Costco has sold in the past are nowhere near the quality you're getting if you buy from what are conceded to be the best manufacturers -- Arctic, Caldera, HotSpring, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Marquis, D1 and a few others. I agree that this new CalSpa tub looks like it might be decent. Time will tell. But, also don't forget the value inherent in having a local dealer that will allow you to wet test, will help you with water chemistry and will be there in person to repair your tub, should there be any problem. Just my opinion. And I do shop at Costco. But I didn't even consider buying my spa there.

Parrot, I tend to agree more or less with your post. I am the last person that would make the (absurd) assertion that all Costco spas have been top-of-the-line or that none of them have been out-and-out poor. I've read some of the horror stories. But I also have a spa from Costco and it's been real good. So the blanket negativity doesn't jive with my firsthand experience. This doesn't mean that I (or anyone) should extrapolate to say that all spas from Costco are good. That is as silly as saying that all spas from Costco are bad. They are products from different manufacturers, and they should be judged on their merits as machinery. I'm all for sharing information here, but it seems to me that bad-mouthing things that a person hasn't even so much as seen doesn't do much other than discourage some folks from buying - possibly at all - and depress those that might have already bought. This whole spa business is supposed to be fun, no?

Well, I'm done. I've had my say. Good luck to you new OC850I spa owners, it looks like a winner and I hope you have a blast.

I think we're mostly on the same page. I do realize that there were people that bought some of the low price spas from the big box stores that otherwise wouldn't have jumped into spa ownership. As long as they knew what they were getting, and weren't comparing apples to oranges, that's great! And, after a few years of ownership, they would then realize whether they were best suited by those spas, or whether they would want a more full featured spa. I don't slam all big box tubs, and I think this new Cal tub looks promising. All in all, I hope everyone enjoys their spa -- regardless of make.

• 6 months later...

OK, so maybe I'm the victim of a little viral marketing here. Bought the OC 850L at Costco. Got the second to last one for $1,997 - screaming deal it would seem. Crappy touch screen, very basic and faulty on startup. OC customer service was delightful and handled immediately so very happy with customer service. Love the tub, good water pressure, reasonably nice jet configuration and adjustment, overall quite comfortable, good stereo, fair cover, inspected the guts and found pretty good construction.......But, and this is a big one, electric usage in moderate central California climate is off the charts. I used the spa for 15 minutes every other day or so, water temp kept at 100 in Economy mode and electric usage is costing $100 bucks a month. $20 in winter? Yeah, right.

Still, tub overall is an overall good value given price and has many wannabe features. Costco did what it always does; approaches a manufacturer with a product they want to market, offers a big order, but at a unit price that makes the manufacturer have to cut costs\corners to make it worthwhile. And that's why most items at Costco have a "special" model number. Probably got some different inside components than the same unit you would buy elsewhere or maybe built at a different factory\country. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt in favor of the consumer.

OK, so maybe I'm the victim of a little viral marketing here. Bought the OC 850L at Costco. Got the second to last one for $1,997 - screaming deal it would seem. Crappy touch screen, very basic and faulty on startup. OC customer service was delightful and handled immediately so very happy with customer service. Love the tub, good water pressure, reasonably nice jet configuration and adjustment, overall quite comfortable, good stereo, fair cover, inspected the guts and found pretty good construction.......But, and this is a big one, electric usage in moderate central California climate is off the charts. I used the spa for 15 minutes every other day or so, water temp kept at 100 in Economy mode and electric usage is costing $100 bucks a month. $20 in winter? Yeah, right.

Still, tub overall is an overall good value given price and has many wannabe features. Costco did what it always does; approaches a manufacturer with a product they want to market, offers a big order, but at a unit price that makes the manufacturer have to cut costs\corners to make it worthwhile. And that's why most items at Costco have a "special" model number. Probably got some different inside components than the same unit you would buy elsewhere or maybe built at a different factory\country. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt in favor of the consumer.

Something sounds odd with the energy usage. I have ours set to 101 degrees - we use it far less often - maybe once every 2 weeks now the novelty has worn off. I monitor my electric bill very carefully and the electric bill shows me the variance each month over the same month the year prior. My electric bill has gone up anywhere from $10 to $20 per month

We live in Seattle so its been colder here than California - Even for December where Seattle had a crazy cold snap (20f or less at night) my bill for that month was only $20 higher than Dec the previous year when I didn't have the tub. My home heating is gas.

I also use economy mode and have it set to F2.

I have been considering the Infinity Columbia sold through Costco - and following the pictures and positive buying experience described in this thread, I went back to Costco to pull the trigger. It appears that Costco has dropped the Infinity Columbia line, and has a statement saying that the Sun Peak is 'sold out'. Not sure what this means (i.e. did Costco have a bad experience with Infinity?) - but what ever will this Forum do without the Spa Community vs. Costco venting?????XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

Infinity went bankrupt after good old costco held back 3 million dollars. Dave would still be selling hot tubs if it wasn't for this reason. I have been fixing hot tubs sold by costco in Washington state for 3 years and costco is one of the SLOWEST payer out there. Now if you want your tub repaired by me then the tub owner pays me direct and they can go thru the BS getting paid by costco. 10 weeks waiting to get paid is too long.

(i.e. did Costco have a bad experience with Infinity?) its costco wouldn't pay infinity , Keys & Hydrospa. all three of these tub makers were put out of BIZ by costco. I hope that CalSpa's

has read the writing on the wall cause costco will be screwing that company soon.

• 2 years later...

Just thought I'd update this post. We've owned this Spa for going on for 3 years now and not had a single new problem. The first couple of months we had a couple of the air valve switches replaced as if you turned on the air for the jets it would slowly turn off again.

So three years of good low cost spa ownership so far for us on the OC Spa. Montly bills have been $15-$30 extra a month (I keep spa at 100 and on the F2 cycle). Anyway just thought I'd update folks.

I unpacked the cover package and found that the vinyl had a small rip in it. Since the cover was way to big to drive back to Costco and the delivery company had left I thought I was in for a problem since OC (CalSpa's I think) would have to ship a replacement out. However we called the local Costco warehouse back and they went above and beyond (actually looked into it and called as back as they said they would) and are dropping off a new cover to us today.... Very happy.

I wish my customers considered replacing a cover I tore as going above and behond!!! Why does Costco get all these customers?

• 4 months later...

Had mine for about 3 years now as well. This winter the primary pump starting making quite a bit of noise and got louder as time went on.

It took a while to actually get the calspa costco rep on the phone. I finally got support through email and they shipped out a pump. Had one of their authorized service places in Everett, WA come and fix it.

Paid her trip fee and tub is working perfectly.

Still very happy w/ my purchase.