Arctic Spa Question For Tom

Boonzer

Hi Tom,

and all.... long time no posts. It's been a long winter here in NS.

Still tubbing, still loving it... after a year of ownership I think I almost have chemicals figured out (that's a realitive term)

Arctic has a great new salt water/ozone system out. I have an 06 Frontier legend extreme, will this new system be costly to retro fit? Will it have to come with a new motherboard?

I asked my dealer today and he had the same questions.

Next question. I have always used a closed cell 1 micron spa filter (MF-170). I have found that these begin to break down into filter cunks quite quickly...(within the first 2 months.... )do they make a tighter weave micron filter? Is this break down common?

last question: I have had to replace two of my jets due to tabs breaking off, the dealer has been great about switching these out... I see there is a new screw in design jet... is there a change over grace period? As I mentioned my tub was a 2006, purchased in 2007, with all the new design changes, I'm afraid my once state of the art tub will be put out to pasture due to obscene conversion prices and new jet design non-compatibility?

Any thoughts?

Great forum..... awesome for new buyers, and soak lifers

Thanks

Hi, Boonzer, good to hear from you again!

Arctic has a great new salt water/ozone system out...will this new system be costly to retro fit? Will it have to come with a new motherboard? I asked my dealer today and he had the same questions.

One Arctic advantage is upgradability, so it's good that you are thinking of taking advantage of this.

Your dealer can be forgiven for not knowing the answers. "In the future you will be able to order this system as a retro kit for tubs already in the field. You will be notified when these kits are ready." - Information Bulletin 484-080227. Retrofit kits for Onzen will not be available until further notice, and details of cost and mechanics have not yet been released.

Next question. I have always used a closed cell 1 micron spa filter (MF-170). I have found that these begin to break down...(within the first 2 months.... ) Do they make a tighter weave micron filter? Is this break down common?

I spoke with one of our techs about this. He said that the breakdown is likely due to your water. Not that you are doing anything wrong in your water chemistry if your numbers are within limits, but just that some kinds of water work better with these filters. If you have hard water and need to use a descaler, for example, that will break the filter down faster. If you and your dealer cannot find a solution for this, his advice is to switch to regular filters. Might not be the answer you wanted, but you did ask. :ph34r:

I see there is a new screw in design jet... is there a change over grace period? ...with all the new design changes, I'm afraid my once state of the art tub will be put out to pasture due to... design non-compatibility?

Remember, an Arctic is adaptable! The threaded jets are 100% backwards compatible and are available for warranty replacement (parts only, installation not included) or for purchase, subject to availablity.

Boonzer, that very question will be addressed in the next issue of Arctic Splash, our customer newsletter. Please go to our web site and subscribe now. And remind your dealer to subscribe ALL his customers!

Thanks Tom,

I knew you'd respond quickly..... I think if the hot tub biz ever gets you down, a career in politics awaits :huh:

Your welcome. Politics? No thanks.

Please DO sign up for the newsletter, it's full of good information.

• 4 months later...

New to this forum, and this question really hit home with me.

Next question. I have always used a closed cell 1 micron spa filter (MF-170). I have found that these begin to break down...(within the first 2 months.... ) Do they make a tighter weave micron filter? Is this break down common?

I spoke with one of our techs about this. He said that the breakdown is likely due to your water. Not that you are doing anything wrong in your water chemistry if your numbers are within limits, but just that some kinds of water work better with these filters. If you have hard water and need to use a descaler, for example, that will break the filter down faster. If you and your dealer cannot find a solution for this, his advice is to switch to regular filters. Might not be the answer you wanted, but you did ask. :ph34r:

I've had an Arctic Kodiak since 2003. We started with Bromine; went to Nature2; developed White Mold so we switched to chlorine (after my dealer told me that my issue was Nature2, although I think it was bad chemistry on my part). My water is not hard, but it does contain lots of iron and manganese. We switched to the MF-170 filters which took some adjusting to because of the way the spa water turns green with chlorination. Prior to the disposable filter, I used mineral treatment to keep the water clear. Now I need to be patient and let the filter do it's job.

My issue is that of filter cartridge life. When I switched over I was so bummed because I thought I was still fighting white mold. Over the course of time and multiple super-chlorinating/draining/refilling etc, I discovered that what I thought was a re-occurrence of white mold was really breakdown of the filter. If I replace the filter every 6 or 8 weeks I can go 3 - 4 months without refilling, as opposed to what seemed like drain/refill ever month. This post confirmed what I had suspected but was never sure of (white mold vs filter particles).

My follow up question then, is whether the chlorine might be adding to the shortened life of the filter. Should I switch back to bromine? I do have an Ozonator, although it is not functioning at the moment.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks.

John

ps - Very new to this forum. My apologies if this should be a new post, or belongs somewhere else. I found this via google. jc

My follow up question then, is whether the chlorine might be adding to the shortened life of the filter. Should I switch back to bromine? I do have an Ozonator, although it is not functioning at the moment.

Hello, John, and welcome.

I don't think the type of halogen sanitizer should have an effect, but I don't know for sure.

Visit the manufacturer's web site, http://www.micropure.ca/ or you might do a search here on the forum for "micropure filters", "micron filters" or "disposable filters".

Sorry, not as helpful as I'd like. If I learn more I will let you know.