Installing Tub On Sloped Patio

ed3120

The patio where I want to install my tub is purposely sloped away from the house for drainage. I know the tub needs to be perfectly level. How has everyone else dealt with this issue? It probably slopes around 2-2.5 inches across 8 feet.

Options that I can think of are:

1. Pick up patio blocks and try to flatten the patio area out where the tub would go.

2. Put the tub on some pressure treated wooden shims. This may not provide the support the tub needs.

3. Build a small wooden structure (like a 7' x 7') deck that is angled and place the tub on that.

Thanks for any help!

-Ed

The patio where I want to install my tub is purposely sloped away from the house for drainage. I know the tub needs to be perfectly level. How has everyone else dealt with this issue? It probably slopes around 2-2.5 inches across 8 feet.

Options that I can think of are:

1. Pick up patio blocks and try to flatten the patio area out where the tub would go.

2. Put the tub on some pressure treated wooden shims. This may not provide the support the tub needs.

3. Build a small wooden structure (like a 7' x 7') deck that is angled and place the tub on that.

Thanks for any help!

-Ed

Link to solutions is attached

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...c=10987&hl=

If it is just patio blocks (pavers) you can do the following

1) remove the patio pavers

2) build a level 4x4 treated wood frame where the hot tub is going, fill with compacted sand, level and reinstall pavers

3) keep the slope for the rest of your pavers outside of the tub and your will have a slightly raised area formed by the teated 4x4s

4) place spa and enjoy

Your other options are wood deck or concrete pad which can also be searched for on this forum

If it were me i would probably remove the pavers and pour a new level conc pad of varying depth the same size as the tub with a min of 2-2 1/2" to 4" or more on the low pitched side. Then place pavers around perimeter to screen the reveal. Personally, an uneven water level would bother me. good luck with whatever you decide to do.

My patio (poured concrete) slopes away from the house very slightly, but enough for me to notice (1/2" in 8 feet or so.) So far I just placed the tub and have been enjoying it. Nobody notices the slope unless I point it out to them. If I were going to compensate, I'd get a couple pieces of medium density foam with the foil face, useing a wire wheel on an angle grinder I'd scarf it into a big wedge (time consuming and messy :( ) Then I'd place the wedges under the spa at the next water change. The insualtion on the bottom might not be a bad idea, and the foam should compress at any pressure points so that the weight is distrubuted nice and evenly.

I've used foam core boards in the past under aquariums when the surface it was being placed on was a little uneven. It's worked quite well and I've never had any trouble.

After some measuring, I've realizes the that slope under the 7 foot tub would only be 1.5 inches end to end. Assuming I could live with a 1/2 inch slope, I would only need to raise the side up by an inch.

That being said, can I get away with building a frame made out of 4x4s and then adding an inch of gravel to one side? (Smoothing the gravel across to a level plane of course) Or do I really need to go the concrete route? The gravel route seems like it would be very easy.

After some measuring, I've realizes the that slope under the 7 foot tub would only be 1.5 inches end to end. Assuming I could live with a 1/2 inch slope, I would only need to raise the side up by an inch.

That being said, can I get away with building a frame made out of 4x4s and then adding an inch of gravel to one side? (Smoothing the gravel across to a level plane of course) Or do I really need to go the concrete route? The gravel route seems like it would be very easy.

From a link a couple posts above:

"You build a frame using PT 2x4s (slightly wider than the spa bottom length/width) but rip it on the two sloping sides so that its top sits level. Then you simply fill it (¾ filled) with pea gravel and set the spa on top of the gravel, just inside the frame. Paint the frame the same color as your spa bottom so it’s barely noticeable and you have an inexpensive yet effective solution and works like a charm."

BTW, if you have 1½ of slope why would you make a frame but leave ½ slope on the spa. The spa needs no slope so go ahead and bring it back to level using this approach and make sure you use PT wood (pressure treated ;) ).

• 12 years later...

I am buying a hot tub, my backyard has a 5" slope where it needs to go. I am planinv on buying 4x8x16" concrete slabs.

On side is ground level installing slabs at ground level. Then the other 2 corners I have 2 slabs high all are level.

After installing I am adding those slabs inside in the center then buying a EZ Pad to put on my slabs. How can I do the sides to keep critters out.

I will have a 5"  open area along one side and half the other sides.