Cement Pad Not Level

drevan

Hi Everyone

I am having a spa delivered in 10 days and was wondering what you would do. The cement pad where the spa is going to be installed slopes away from my pool leaving a 2 1/4 differerence water level side to side. Would you level the area or would you just leave it and live with it ?. The Caldera people said if it were their spa, they would not hassle with leveling it as it won't be that noticeable. But to me that seems drastic. and since it is going to be on cement, what would the easiest and least expensive way to level the area?. Thanks for your input!

This is a Caldera C45 I bought used off craigslist and is a 2006 model , I paid 3k. Good Price ?

Hi Everyone

I am having a spa delivered in 10 days and was wondering what you would do. The cement pad where the spa is going to be installed slopes away from my pool leaving a 2 1/4 differerence water level side to side. Would you level the area or would you just leave it and live with it ?. The Caldera people said if it were their spa, they would not hassle with leveling it as it won't be that noticeable. But to me that seems drastic. and since it is going to be on cement, what would the easiest and least expensive way to level the area?. Thanks for your input!

This is a Caldera C45 I bought used off craigslist and is a 2006 model , I paid 3k. Good Price ?

That is too much slope but there is a simple solution. Build a frame using 2x4 PT wood that is just a little larger than the xy of the spa pedestal (maybe 1" wider in each direction). The key though is to rip the wood in the sloping direction so that once you put it on the pad it is level. You then fill that frame about 3/4 full of pea gravel and level it with a rake. Carefully set the spa on the gravel and it will be level. If you paint the frame the same color as the pedestal it won't even be noticeable that its there.

Spatech's solution is definately the most economical solution. There is another thread on this forum regarding the same issue. I would use treated wood and treat the area you have cut with a wood preservative and this pad will last for years. I would also lag bolt your frame to your existing concrete pad

I have the same issue but with a drop of 4"!!! I was considering pouring a leveling concrete cap over the area but am now starting to lean in the direction of Spatech's method. I feel this will work fine but will discuss with dealer - warranty concerns...

For my 4" drop however, a outer frame of 2x4's standing on end won't even be tall enough (since 2x4's are really 1.5" x 3.5"), so I will have to rip 2x6's. Rather than bolting to the concrete through the lumber standing on end, I am considering bolting down some 2x4's (laying them flat) and then bolting or screwing the 2x6's to the 2x4's. This should be rock solid.

Seems like a good deal on the Caldera. I really liked the Caldera we wet tested except I couldn't fit in the lounge or under the neck jets in the other seat - so I had to go elsewhere. We are ordering this week~!!

Good luck!!

Does sound like a logical and economical alternative except 1 thing. Where I live, there is no place to purchase pea gravel. :(

I might just have to bite the bullet and rent a concrete saw, cut out the area, make sure it is completely level, and install a Hot tub pad.

Does sound like a logical and economical alternative except 1 thing. Where I live, there is no place to purchase pea gravel. :(

I might just have to bite the bullet and rent a concrete saw, cut out the area, make sure it is completely level, and install a Hot tub pad.

No big deal, just get the closest you can to pea gravel; just don't go baseball sized stones. BTW, I assume you realize that in my description PT= pressure treated, which is important though you should also paint it for further protection.

If you can not find pea gravel you can always use a 3/4" minus material or "navvy jack" as this material packs well due to the different sizes of aggregate and also levels well. Being from Canada I did not recognize PT as pressure treated. We are scared of the symbols PT as this could mean you are now part time.

OK, I re-measured the exact spot, it's not 2 1/4 uneven like I thought "dumb me". it's actually only 1 1/2 inches. Would you still level the spa or leave it ????

this is a big spa measuring in at 7'5 x 7'5, so would an inch and a half be really that noticeable ?. the neck jets are going to be on the low side so that's not going to be an issue. the filter however will be on the high side. I forgot to look at the filter inlet when I was there to see how much difference the slant would make.

any thoughts ?

OK, I re-measured the exact spot, it's not 2 1/4 uneven like I thought "dumb me". it's actually only 1 1/2 inches. Would you still level the spa or leave it ????

this is a big spa measuring in at 7'5 x 7'5, so would an inch and a half be really that noticeable ?. the neck jets are going to be on the low side so that's not going to be an issue. the filter however will be on the high side. I forgot to look at the filter inlet when I was there to see how much difference the slant would make.

any thoughts ?

As long as water is able to enter the filter side and the height of water into the filter compartment meets with the manufacturers recommendations you will not have any issues. This will now make the water higher on the neck jet side but you should have enough freeboard. The only issue you may have is some splashing over when the tub is full of people but this should be minor.

The above being said the fix is fairly simple so it is more a matter of how you feel about a tub that is slightly out of level.

As long as water is able to enter the filter side and the height of water into the filter compartment meets with the manufacturers recommendations you will not have any issues. This will now make the water higher on the neck jet side but you should have enough freeboard. The only issue you may have is some splashing over when the tub is full of people but this should be minor.

The above being said the fix is fairly simple so it is more a matter of how you feel about a tub that is slightly out of level.

I agree completely with what Waterboy said but would make one point; I think you will hate that much slope. I know you may be tempted to say "close enough, let me try it" but I would take care of it now because 1½" is very noticeable and annoying with water splashing out and you having to have the filter on the high side and the other end being low and …

BTW, if you go with the simple and effective frame/gravel method with that much slope you'd obviously need to use 2x6s.

Wow, I had this very same problem. I hired a landscaper to install interlocking concrete pavers as a patio, part of which would be space for my hot tub. The landscaper installed pavers with a 1.5 inch slope over 8 feet, sloping away from the house. It was noticeable to the eye and I immediately was worried about the impact on my "soon to be delivered" hot tub. I asked the landscaper why the pavers were sloping away from the house and his answer was "for proper rainwater run off".

I called the hot tub dealer and they indicated this slope *might* be trouble down the road if the hot tub develops a leak. As it turns out, the dealer was not comfortable with me accepting delivery of my new hot tub to a sloping base.

Luckily, I had not specified the need for a sloped patio to my landscaper. I discussed the issue with my landscaper and he luckily was able to pull up the pavers and re-grade to level (less than 0.5 inch over 8 feet).

I am very glad I did this because my water level in the tub is nearly perfect. This is important for my tub as some of the jets are just barely below the water line when the tub if filled to maximum water capacity. If the tub was not level, the jets would be spraying water in the air and possibly outside of the tub!!

Call your concrete installer and tell them what happened. They might be able to do something for you.

Looks like a possibility if someone is in your area. Spatech's solution is still the cheapest solution if your slab supplier will not remedy the situation. The other option if self levelling concrete which will bond to your concrete if you scarify the existing concrete and this is posted under another "levelling" thread.

After all is said and done, I think we are going to live with the 1 1/2 dip for atleast 4 months. till our 1st drain. Better to try it out and see if we are not bothered by the difference than shell out more money and effort than it's worth. I really should have posted pics so you all could get a better perspective on the decking and the surrounding swimming pool area. "ME BAD", I truly do appreciate all your input in this situation and respect your views. I hope you are all having great nights soaking and enjoying your spa 's & magarita's

After all is said and done, I think we are going to live with the 1 1/2 dip for atleast 4 months. till our 1st drain. Better to try it out and see if we are not bothered by the difference than shell out more money and effort than it's worth. I really should have posted pics so you all could get a better perspective on the decking and the surrounding swimming pool area. "ME BAD", I truly do appreciate all your input in this situation and respect your views. I hope you are all having great nights soaking and enjoying your spa 's & magarita's

For the cost of 4 pieces of 2x6s and some pea gravel I think you're making more work for yourself later but I'm used to epople thinking they can live with teh slope issue until they try it and pretty much always hate it.

For the cost of 4 pieces of 2x6s and some pea gravel I think you're making more work for yourself later but I'm used to epople thinking they can live with teh slope issue until they try it and pretty much always hate it.

Man...........and I was concerned that we sloped our 8 ft. pad about 3/8 " for drainage.

BTW........great ideas everybody. We just recieved our 08 Sundance Cameo last night. I can't wait!!!

Man...........and I was concerned that we sloped our 8 ft. pad about 3/8 " for drainage.

BTW........great ideas everybody. We just recieved our 08 Sundance Cameo last night. I can't wait!!!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried mud jacking?

I have an older place (30 years) and the concrete apron around the back porch has settled. Probably have 3 1/2 to 4 inches. Spa is a 2003 Hot Springs Highlife. I know it can be shimmed, just don't know the limits. May be cheaper to pay dealer to shim and then I build an apron for it out of treated lumber.

I have the room but hate to spend money pouring a new slab and like where the tub is now. I've read about mud jacking but don't knowhow reliable it is.

• 2 months later...

I have a sloped concrete pad, the water level is about 1" difference from side to side, about 5', it doesn't affect the operation of the pump and I don't even notice it anymore.

Dave

The filter is in the "deep" side of the tub, but on my spa, a Caldera Kauai, the water level could be 4" lower than full and the pump would still get suction.

Dave

• 13 years later...

Hi all!

I have a similar issue but slightly different. Our concrete contractor installed the concrete level. The SwimSpa (15ft by 8ft) was installed and now there is constant “pooling” in front and under the Swimspa.

Any advice? Anyone know a tool or a type of drain we should use?

A8CBFF95-4FEF-4E72-B08E-B63874556D06.jpeg

98EEF85E-D10B-4A41-B8BD-7EE409A72DA3.jpeg

Edited by SwimSpa4488
Added photos