Are You Kidding Me? Bubbles Bubbles Everwhere! Help

JackVa1

Ok, experts.

We have soft water because I am on a well and we had to eliminate rust. Apparently when you eliminate rust in your home water, you have to eliminate everything....So when we filled out new spa, we had soft water.

We added the "Hardness up" and it seemed ok. We tested it and it had improved.

On Sunday my son, his wife and daughter and a 6 year old friend all had an hour soak (and splash). Of course they all wore bathing suits.

Since Sunday, the wife and I have noticed more and more bubbles. I added more hardness last night because the hardness was slightly low.

tonight we get in and more bubbles. I blambed oursoft water and she blamed the bathing suits and shampoo of out guests. After we exited, I tested hardness and it was 450 ppm. Very hard.

Is my wife correct? Guests make foamy water because of their clothes??

Wife googled and says we need a teaspoon of FOAM OUT. I told her that "my " forum would have the answer. Has she beat me to the punch??

Thanks guys

Jack

I have to cast my vote for the bathing suits. You'd be suprised at how much soap residual is left in them. We purchased a new front loading washer and you have to use a special low suds soap. There is so much of the old stuff left in clothes that you get tons of suds at first. I ran my clothes through the new machine without adding any detergent and still got tons of bubbles the first time. When we have friends over in the tub it drives me insane. The bubbles get soooooo high. Of course if I have to weight the evil of bubbles or seeing my friends naked, I'll take the bubbles! :) Be careful using too much foam control product. It's a great idea to put it in a spray bottle and just mist the bubbles. It's only going to break their surface tension, but the cause will still be in the water.

I have to cast my vote for the bathing suits. You'd be suprised at how much soap residual is left in them. We purchased a new front loading washer and you have to use a special low suds soap. There is so much of the old stuff left in clothes that you get tons of suds at first. I ran my clothes through the new machine without adding any detergent and still got tons of bubbles the first time. When we have friends over in the tub it drives me insane. The bubbles get soooooo high. Of course if I have to weight the evil of bubbles or seeing my friends naked, I'll take the bubbles! :) Be careful using too much foam control product. It's a great idea to put it in a spray bottle and just mist the bubbles. It's only going to break their surface tension, but the cause will still be in the water.

Swimsuits are a huge factor, next time ask them to rinse them out first before they use the tub. Chidren and teens are also a big factor. Small kids do not get all the soap off their bodies/hair when taking a bath and teens (and some adults) were lots of makeup, hair stuff, lotion, deoderant etc. The other cause is more people in the tub equals more sweat. Each person sweats about a pint in a normal tub session. High PH also causes the tub to foam more.

As Tiny bubbles said, foam down will help, but the foam will keep coming back. If you Super shock the tub (you did not say what chemical sysytem you were using, MPS/non-chlorine shock works best if you are using bromine or chlorine) let filter for 24 hours, pull the filters and rinse them well. Let it filter another 24 hours and rinse the filters again. A claifier that coagulates and floculates may be helpful. It will collect all the smaller unfilterable particles and make them larger so the filter can pick them up and you can rinse them off.

Plan on shocking and rinsing filters for a bit when you have guests. If you do not do this the stuff causing the foam will stay in the water and continue to be an issue untill you do a water change.

Swimsuits are a huge factor, next time ask them to rinse them out first before they use the tub. Chidren and teens are also a big factor. Small kids do not get all the soap off their bodies/hair when taking a bath and teens (and some adults) were lots of makeup, hair stuff, lotion, deoderant etc. The other cause is more people in the tub equals more sweat. Each person sweats about a pint in a normal tub session. High PH also causes the tub to foam more.

As Tiny bubbles said, foam down will help, but the foam will keep coming back. If you Super shock the tub (you did not say what chemical sysytem you were using, MPS/non-chlorine shock works best if you are using bromine or chlorine) let filter for 24 hours, pull the filters and rinse them well. Let it filter another 24 hours and rinse the filters again. A claifier that coagulates and floculates may be helpful. It will collect all the smaller unfilterable particles and make them larger so the filter can pick them up and you can rinse them off.

Plan on shocking and rinsing filters for a bit when you have guests. If you do not do this the stuff causing the foam will stay in the water and continue to be an issue untill you do a water change.

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the help

When I get a lot of foam in the spa, I use a pool net and scoop it out by skimming the surface of the water. It takes a few times and I will put jets on high with air venturis open to create as much foam as I can, but it works.

I agree, use foam down sparingly.

I also agree, its from the suits.

All good advice IMHO.

Last time I had major bubble infestation I used a metal mesh splash guard normally used for frying pans to remove the foam. Only 12 inches in diameter, slow but effective.

When I get a lot of foam in the spa, I use a pool net and scoop it out by skimming the surface of the water. It takes a few times and I will put jets on high with air venturis open to create as much foam as I can, but it works.

I agree, use foam down sparingly.

I also agree, its from the suits.