Leveling...

Question;

My tub is on a conrete patio that has a slight decline so that water runs away from the house. If I wanted to level my tub by lifting it about 1.5 inches on one side would supports along the corners be sufficient or would it require continous support all along the bottom of the frame?

Happy Tubbin'

You are going to want to support the entire tub, not just the corners, doing just the corners can cause the tub to crack. Water is heavy!

The support would have to be on all of the structural members under the tub and not just on the outside edges. It may be difficult to support the middle members. I would suggest that you fabricate a 4 sided form slightler larger than yout hot tub dimension with zero inches on the high side whatever is needed on the low side and pour a self levelling concrete topping mix into your form.

Your can lag bolt the form to your existing concrete, remove the bolts and fill the holes afterwards. Your local building store can recommend the required concrete mix.

You really should have full support but there is a simple, effective alternative. You build a frame using PT 2x4s (slightly wider than the spa bottom length/width) but rip it on the two sloping sides so that its top sits level. Then you simply fill it (¾ filled) with pea gravel and set the spa on top of the gravel, just inside the frame. Paint the frame the same color as your spa bottom so it’s barely noticeable and you have an inexpensive yet effective solution and works like a charm.

You really should have full support but there is a simple, effective alternative. You build a frame using PT 2x4s (slightly wider than the spa bottom length/width) but rip it on the two sloping sides so that its top sits level. Then you simply fill it (¾ filled) with pea gravel and set the spa on top of the gravel, just inside the frame. Paint the frame the same color as your spa bottom so it’s barely noticeable and you have an inexpensive yet effective solution and works like a charm.

Definately sounds like a more economical solution. I would still anchor your form to your existing concrete and because this form is now permanent instead of temporary use treated wood. If you are in a cold climate or " nearer to nature" make sure rodents can not get under your spa as they love the warmth and like to chew on your spa. A mouse can squeeze through almost any opening.

• 11 years later...
On 3/13/2008 at 5:17 PM, spatech (the unreal one) said:

Hi

Sorry for digging this topic up all these years later but I am encountering the same problem now and can do with some advice. I built a 2x6 frame (I don’t have the tools or DIY skills to rip it so will just level it within the 2x6) and will put the tub within that:

https://m.imgur.com/3F7KgxX

In order to protect the flagstones underneath I bought a plastic grid that will take most of the weight of the tub, rather than resting it just on the pea gravel. 

https://www.hottubbase.co.uk/en/jacuzzi-hot-tub-bases/10-6-7-seat-square-base.html

My question is...what material would you use to level the slope within the frame before I fit the grid? Would compacted building sand do the trick or do I need something firmer?

Any advice would be appreciated.