Cost Of The Electrician

Momski

Just got the bill. Boy was I shocked.

When I bought my house it was wired for a hot tub. By that I mean there was a post on where the previous owners thought they would like a hot tub. All the wires were run to this post. The proper amps, number of wires, grounding, etc. were in place.

I dug a trench from the post to the hot tub. The electrician needed to place the pipes and wires approximately 20 feet from the post to the hot tub. In addition he had to replace the temporary box with the box provided with the spa.

The electrician came out no less than three times to look at the area, pull the panel off the front of the hot tub, measure to make sure he had all the supplies. He took both the box and the manual so there was no doubts. When he finally showed up, it took him 8 hours with himself and two apprentices to do the job.

He charged me $1000 and told me he was giving me a huge discount. I belong to this group called BNI (a networking club). He is a member.

I totally feel like I was taken for a ride, especially since the wires were previously run from the house.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

THANKS

When I bought my house it was wired for a hot tub. By that I mean there was a post on where the previous owners thought they would like a hot tub. All the wires were run to this post. The proper amps, number of wires, grounding, etc. were in place.

I dug a trench from the post to the hot tub. The electrician needed to place the pipes and wires approximately 20 feet from the post to the hot tub. In addition he had to replace the temporary box with the box provided with the spa.

The electrician came out no less than three times to look at the area, pull the panel off the front of the hot tub, measure to make sure he had all the supplies. He took both the box and the manual so there was no doubts. When he finally showed up, it took him 8 hours with himself and two apprentices to do the job.

He charged me $1000 and told me he was giving me a huge discount. I belong to this group called BNI (a networking club). He is a member.

I totally feel like I was taken for a ride, especially since the wires were previously run from the house.

THANKS

Are you SURE he wasn't a plumber? Too much money and time.

R.K. Electric Michigan

Ouch!! Normally I don't like to post on items like this because it would usually only make someone feel ripped off, but if you have some recourse through the group you belong to I would say you need to take that.

I paid 800 to have power ran from the main box to a sub box just for the backyard. That included all the materials, the burying of the wire and the hook up. The sub box even is set up for extra power and breakers to run other electrical for the backyard. I got two quotes from two electricians the one I didn't choose was 850 for the same work.

FYI I am in So Cal where these guys are getting ALL the MONEY.

Oh holy shiz! You were taken for a HUGE ride!

I wired my hot tub myself (Caldera Niagara). Cost about $150 for all the materials and about 4 hours for the work, which included drilling through the concrete foundation to the breaker box.

I'd put a stop payment and call the BBB. You just got F'd in the A -

The person who we just bought our hot tub from recommended an electrician that they use all the time. He came out and installed the circuit all the way from the breaker panel all the way to the tub. This included the sub-panel for $570.00. He was here for maybe an hour and a half. The total length was approximately 50 foot. Now all we need is for our hot tub to be delivered. It should be here within a week. Sorry to hear how much you had to pay. I would say you definitely got ripped off.

THANKS

I just did my own wiring for my future hot tub. Cost me about $450.00 for 80 ft aluminum 6 gage wire to the sub box, 20ft copper 4 gage wire from sub box to tub and sub box this was for a 220 line with GFI breaker. Aluminum runs about .80 per foot, but copper runs about $2.86 per foot, this was my cost as a home owner. The electician cost and extra $100.00 to wire electric box in basement and sub box near tub, about 1 and 15 minutes work for him. When I contacted some electician they quoted between $850.00 to $1350.00 they install the wiring. I saved by doing the main work myself but still need to have the underwriter to guanantee the house from electric/fire about $80.00. Like a Plumbers, Electicians are costing alot these days. When they hear it a hot tub going in they think you have money to burn.

I just did my own wiring for my future hot tub. Cost me about $450.00 for 80 ft aluminum 6 gage wire to the sub box, 20ft copper 4 gage wire from sub box to tub and sub box this was for a 220 line with GFI breaker.

It doesn't make sense to me to put a larger wire to the hot tub than to the sub panel. Are you sure that is what you wanted

THANKS

8 damn hours, holy crap! $1000 dollars for 8 hours is fabulous, but what would take 8 hrs? Usually $1000 for new amp. box with a higher capacity. The most I've seen for a GFCI, up to 30ft. run is 800 dollars and I am in NY.

I just did my own wiring for my future hot tub. Cost me about $450.00 for 80 ft aluminum 6 gage wire to the sub box, 20ft copper 4 gage wire from sub box to tub and sub box this was for a 220 line with GFI breaker. Aluminum runs about .80 per foot, but copper runs about $2.86 per foot, this was my cost as a home owner. The electician cost and extra $100.00 to wire electric box in basement and sub box near tub, about 1 and 15 minutes work for him. When I contacted some electician they quoted between $850.00 to $1350.00 they install the wiring. I saved by doing the main work myself but still need to have the underwriter to guanantee the house from electric/fire about $80.00. Like a Plumbers, Electicians are costing alot these days. When they hear it a hot tub going in they think you have money to burn.

Aluminum wire is cheaper, but may not be safe. Please check the lugs on service panel and sub panel and see that they are rated for Alum. wire. Many are reated for copper only.

I paid $175 for the subpanel and $488 (including tax) for all the electrican work, including the main panel breaker, ~25 ft. of wire and flexi conduit, as well as a separate 120V outdoor plug. The quote was $75 less without that.

So my costs were about the same as Patty's, less than $600 from nothing to done. Same period of time too, two guys for 1.5 hours.

• 2 months later...

THANKS

Did you not get a bid prior to having the work done? This would be my suggestion and an obvious one for anyone needing to have electrical work done, get two or three bids from reputable electrical contractors. This should give you an idea of what a fair cost would be, choose the one you feel most comfortable with. Having anyone perform work for you without first obtaining a bid is just asking for trouble.

• 3 months later...

I too did my own, running 6 THWN in liquidtight Flex conduit from main panel to $100 (Home Depot) subpanel. Then ran same 6 THWN from sub to hot tub in same liquidtight flex conduit.

I think it cost me about $120 in wire, 100 for subpanel and about $25 for the liquidtight flexible conduit. oh yeah, $15 for the main panel breaker. The GFCI in the subpanel came with the panel.

I DO NOT SUGGEST YOU DO THIS IF NOT FAMILAR WITH LOCAL CODES AND HOME ELECTRICAL. It is somewhat hard to work with and took me a good 6-8 hours to finalize everything. It isnt trivial, you just need to make sure grounds are handled properly.

• 9 years later...

I paid $860 today in Michigan.  There were two guys on the install, they made two trips, and I'm fairly rural, and the wire ran the whole length of the house, diagonally.  They also installed a switched floodlight, and the disconnect box.  It was on the high end of what I expected, but I'd decided in advance I wouldn't complain if they kept it under $1000.  Seemed like nice guys, and they were recommended by the hot tub company.  I got a good deal on the refurbished hot tub, so that helped.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 2010 I had to pay (I think) $700 to extend the line three meters away from the house - a new line from the kill switch to the tub,  wiring the tub up,  and a new breaker (codes changed from 1996 on the first tub install).... and that included pulling his permit.