Electric Ph Meters

tbradway

I use a portable pH meter manufactured by HANNA Instruments, battery powered. It measures pH and Conductivity very well, provides pH measurement to 3 digits (i.e. pH 7.45). I purchased this unit because I was getting false pH reading from the paper test strips, and pH is extremely critical for maintaining water quality. I know this because I am a Chemist with over 12 years of experience taking pH measurements.

I bought the unit off of Ebay for $123 with no problems. You can get a HANNA pH only meter for much less money, $50 to $70. I think this device is a must have for any Hot Tub or Pool owner, it takes the guess work out of a very critical measurement. It's also a good idea to buy pH 7.01 calibration solution from HANNA (or Ebay seller) as the pH probe will drift over the course of a year and requires a simple calibration procedure.

By the way, the unit is waterproof so you can dip the measuring end directly in the hot tub to take a measurement, although I wouldn't suggest dropping it into the tub!

• I would suggest the HANNA pHep4 (model number HI98127) for $56, it measures pH to 2 digits (i.e. pH 7.5)
  • A little bit more money and you might try the HANNA pHep5 (model number HI98128) for $69, it measures pH to 3 digits (i.e. pH 7.45)

To find these on Ebay, just type in "HANNA pH" in the Ebay search field.

Good Luck!

• 11 years later...

I recommend using HANNA HI98127 pH tester. This is a product that is highly appreciated by people for pH test requirements. HANNA HI98127 has the ability to measure with a range from -2 pH to 16 pH. It also has heat compensation to ensure stability for results. Designed with a compact size, waterproof and able to float, the device can measure pH in any environment

Our company is currently distributing this product. Please contact Techmaster Electronics J.S.C to receive the preferential price.