Ozonator Safety

m3722

I am new to hot tubbing and I read somewhere, that you have to be careful with the ozonator running while you are in the spa. It specifically said to be especially careful with young children. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read it. Our spa is a 110v-2 speed pump and the ozonator comes on when we have it on the high speed. Has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks in advance.

I am new to hot tubbing and I read somewhere, that you have to be careful with the ozonator running while you are in the spa. It specifically said to be especially careful with young children. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read it. Our spa is a 110v-2 speed pump and the ozonator comes on when we have it on the high speed. Has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks in advance.

What model do you have. It is unusual to have it on high speed. Most spa's with circulating pumps that run 24 hrs give you no choice but to be exposed to ozone. You are absolutely right about ozone being harmful if exposed to long periods of time. If ozone kills bacteria what can it do to someone young when exposed for long periods of time? Some spa's have the ozone going on only during automatic filter cycles for short periods of time like Marquis or Coleman and automatically shuts off when you go in the tub.

03 is a safe santizer in hot tub applications.

ozone itself can be harmful, but I have not seen any crediable reports that the amounts of ozone in a hot tub are a concern. It quickly reverts to back to 02, and dead organic material is suspended in the water. (unlike air purifiers that people are putting on thier desk, that blow ozone and dead organic matter into one's face.

Don't worry about it.

I Guess i would worry

type in (dangers of ozone) in a search engine and do a lot of reading the make your choice . Just always remember Keep one eye allways open.

and after you're done worrying, actually read the articles.

They deal with indoor ozone gernators for air purification. People with respitory problems probably shouldn't put a an ozone generator attatched to a fan on thier desk, just a few inches away from thier face.

Ozone water purification systems have been used for years and are effective and safe.

Want to worry about something?

Legionaires desease

Heat exhaustion

Drowning

eEectrical shock

Hot tub lung

Slipping on a wet patio

Chlorine gas

Your wife catching you in the tub with the neighbors wife.

and after you're done worrying, actually read the articles.

They deal with indoor ozone gernators for air purification. People with respitory problems probably shouldn't put a an ozone generator attatched to a fan on thier desk, just a few inches away from thier face.

Ozone water purification systems have been used for years and are effective and safe.

Want to worry about something?

Legionaires desease

Heat exhaustion

Drowning

eEectrical shock

Hot tub lung

Slipping on a wet patio

Chlorine gas

Your wife catching you in the tub with the neighbors wife.

lol that can be very dangerous.

I Guess i would worry

type in (dangers of ozone) in a search engine and do a lot of reading the make your choice . Just always remember Keep one eye allways open.

What specifically made you worry? I went through 3 pages of the google search engine and still did not find one thing relating to ozones in spas.

If you really want to be worried, check out these searches:

dangers of hot tubs

dangers of spas

dangers of chlorine

dangers of water

Anything can be dangerous if used incorrectly

The ozone generators used in spas nowadays have a hard time keeping any sort of residual in the spa itself, so ozone levels never have a chance to get to levels where they are harmful.

What specifically made you worry? I went through 3 pages of the google search engine and still did not find one thing relating to ozones in spas.

If you really want to be worried, check out these searches:

dangers of hot tubs

dangers of spas

dangers of chlorine

dangers of water

Anything can be dangerous if used incorrectly

The ozone generators used in spas nowadays have a hard time keeping any sort of residual in the spa itself, so ozone levels never have a chance to get to levels where they are harmful.

Like the song says, "Don't worry, be Happy!" in your hot tub :D

Actually, the best way to use ozone in a spa is with bromine. The ozone will constantly regenerate hypobromous acid (the active sanitizer) from the bromine bank in the water keeping the sanitizer levels constant!! Ozone should not be depended on as a primary sanitizer since it has no residual effects to speak of and it is not effective with chlorine sanitation since they tend to destroy each other.

Bromine and Nature 2 system with chlorine negate each other but I never heard of it interfering with Ozone.

What you are saying doesn't even make sense! Bromine is not compatible with N2 (this info can be found on the N2 website) but chlorine is essential with a N2 system even if you are using MPS shock.

The N2 website states that when you first fill a spa with an N2 system you need to add dichlor!!

Bromine does NOT interfere with ozone. Ozone will convert the bromine ions in the 'bromine bank' into hypobromous acid in much the same way chlorine or MPS will. Study up on the chemisty of bromine!

Chorine and ozone tend to destroy each other with chlorine breaking down ozone and vice versa as follows:

1. The chlorine atom attacks an ozone molecule (IPB Image), breaking it apart and destroying the ozone.
  2. The result is an ordinary oxygen molecule (IPB Image) and a chlorine monoxide molecule (ClO).
  3. The chlorine monoxide molecule (ClO) is attacked by a free oxygen atom releasing the chlorine atom and forming an ordinary oxygen molecule (IPB Image).
  4. The chlorine atom is now free to attack and destroy another ozone molecule (IPB Image). One chlorine atom can repeat this destructive cycle thousands of times.

What you are saying doesn't even make sense! Bromine is not compatible with N2 (this info can be found on the N2 website) but chlorine is essential with a N2 system even if you are using MPS shock.

The N2 website states that when you first fill a spa with an N2 system you need to add dichlor!!

Bromine does NOT interfere with ozone. Ozone will convert the bromine ions in the 'bromine bank' into hypobromous acid in much the same way chlorine or MPS will. Study up on the chemisty of bromine!

Chorine and ozone tend to destroy each other with chlorine breaking down ozone and vice versa as follows:

The chlorine atom attacks an ozone molecule (IPB Image), breaking it apart and destroying the ozone.

The result is an ordinary oxygen molecule (IPB Image) and a chlorine monoxide molecule (ClO).

The chlorine monoxide molecule (ClO) is attacked by a free oxygen atom releasing the chlorine atom and forming an ordinary oxygen molecule (IPB Image).

The chlorine atom is now free to attack and destroy another ozone molecule (IPB Image). One chlorine atom can repeat this destructive cycle thousands of times.

You can not use Bromine with a NATURE 2 system. They recomend a trichloral occasionally anotherwords a weaker chlorine. You have to use some other form of shock other than the peroxymonopersulphate when using the N2 system.

You can not use Bromine with a NATURE 2 system.

I said that.

They recomend a trichloral occasionally anotherwords a weaker chlorine.

THey recommend DICHLOR, not TRICHLOR on startup and refills. And what do you mean a 'weaker chlorine'? Weaker than what?

You have to use some other form of shock other than the peroxymonopersulphate when using the N2 system.

Wrong, they recommend MPS for shocking.

Here is the info off the N2 website

http://www.nature2.com/spas2.asp

for running a spa on N2!

"Spa Recipe Ingredients

• Nature2 Purifier

• Non-chlorine oxidizer (potassium peroxymonosulfate)*

• Nature2 Spa Test Strips** or Test kits (pH, total alkalinity)

• pH and total alkalinity adjusting chemicals

• Dichlor

When: What to do: Purifier Start Up Drain and refill your spa. Balance water per dealer guidelines. Add 1 teaspoon of dichlor to spa per 250 gallons (approx. 1000 litres). (Note: 1 teaspoon = 1/4 ounce = 7 grams.) Every Day Run spa according to recommendation supplied to you by the manufacturer of your spa Before Each Use Add 1 tablespoon of potassium peroxymonosulfate (MPS) to spa per 250 gallons (approx. 1000 litres)

(Note: 1 tablespoon = 1 tablet = 3/4 ounce = 21 grams.) A convenient way to insure proper MPS level is to use a Nature2 Spa Test Strip. If the Nature2 Spa Test Strip indicates a low level of MPS, add 1 tablespoon of MPS to spa per 250 gallons and retest. Once A Week Add 3 tablespoons of potassium peroxymonosulfate to spa per 250 gallons (approx. 1000 litres). Check and adjust pH and total alkalinity. A convenient way to check pH and total, alkalinity levels is to use a Nature2 Spa Test Strip. Every 4 Months Drain and refill your spa.

Replace Nature2 purifier, repeat purifier start-up. As Needed If water looks hazy, shock treat with 1 teaspoon of dichlor per 250 gallons (approx. 1000 litres)

Important

The Nature2 Spa Purifier is not to be used with products containing bromine, sodium bromide or biguanides. If these products are being used, be sure to drain and refill spa with fresh water.

Note:

• As an alternative to potassium monopersulfate, dichlor may be substituted:

1 teaspoon dichlor = 3 tablespoons potassium peroxymonosulfate.

• The use of an efficient ozone generator with Nature2 may reduce the need for supplemental chemical treatments.

* Potassium peroxymonosulfate may cause a lowering of the pH and total alkalinity of your spa water. Please monitor pH and total alkalinity at least once per week and adjust accordingly.

** Nature2 Spa Test Strips are available at your local Nature2 Dealer.

Call 1-888-537-6657 for more information. "