Closed The Deal Today

h2oski

Well I found a deal on a 2007 Cameo today that I couldn't pass up. I found a dealer out of state that was clearing out some 2007 models. The listing that I found was a Coastal and Platinum Cameo for $7995 including stereo, remote, cover, cover lift, chemicals and delivery. When I talked to the guy, the store owner, over the phone I asked if he had any other color combinations as I was actually looking for a Mahogany and Copper Sand tub. After talking to the guy for a few minutes he drop his price to $7250. I wasn't even trying to get the price down on it, I was just asking him some questions. Needless to say it was a deal I couldn't pass up. The other benefit is that I don't have to pay sales tax to the out of state dealer. I have to "pay" it when I file my state income taxes in 2009.

The local dealer is probably going to be pissed if they ever find out, or if I call them for service work. Even if I have to fix something myself I saved almost $3000 compared to the best price my local dealer offered on a 2007 model without the stereo so I can afford some maintenance fees. I didn't try beating up the local dealer since I gave them the opportunity to make the sale on their own and there pricing was just too high. I asked them for there best price and infomred them that I am still deciding on other manufactures. I know they would probably never be able to match that deal, but I would have expected more than a $300 discount on a 2007 floor model vs. a 2008 order price.

In theory there should still be a warranty on the tub as it is being purchased and delivered by a licensed dealer. With that said though I know I will probably have difficulty working with my local dealer to get the warranty work done if I need any. However the warranty is provided by Sundance not the dealer so if necessary Sundance will have to resolve the problem. For $3000 I really don't care if I have a warranty. I say that now, but wait till I have my first problem.

The guy will be delivering it on Saturday. I can't wait to get it up and running.

I say that now, but wait till I have my first problem.

The guy will be delivering it on Saturday. I can't wait to get it up and running.

Congrats on the spa but why wait for a problem to find out how it will be covered. I'd call the dealer who's about to deliver and ask them how it is handled. Then, regardless of the answer, I would then call Sundance and ask them the same question.

Congrats on the spa but why wait for a problem to find out how it will be covered. I'd call the dealer who's about to deliver and ask them how it is handled. Then, regardless of the answer, I would then call Sundance and ask them the same question.

I'd tell the local dealer you brought it with you when you moved there....LOL And your interviewing for a service tech to maintain your pride and joy hot tub.

I did ask the dealer I am buying the tub how it should work if I have a warranty problem and he said that my local dealer would be doing the service.

I have had a similar experience with another purchase about a year ago. I bought a boat from a dealer over a 1000 miles away because I saved $8000 dollars over what my local dealer offered. Once my local dealer found out about it they flipped out. They contacted the manufacturer and wanted credit for the sale and a part of the profit from the selling dealership. I let the dealers fight it out and just stayed out of it. I ended up having some significant warranty problems with the boat and the local dealer did all of the warranty work with no questions to me. I ended up getting a new boat because of all of the problems I had and the local dealer took car of that for me.

The key here is that the warranty is from the manufacturer not the dealer. As long as I buy the item from a licensed dealer the warranty must be upheld. It would be against the law for a dealer to tell me that I have to buy from them and not another dealer out side of its sales territory. They might not have to do the warranty work, but the manufacturer would be ultimately responsible for the warranty work not the dealer. It might cause some headaches, but to save that kind of money I am willing to put up with a few headaches.

I did ask the dealer I am buying the tub how it should work if I have a warranty problem and he said that my local dealer would be doing the service.

I have had a similar experience with another purchase about a year ago. I bought a boat from a dealer over a 1000 miles away because I saved $8000 dollars over what my local dealer offered. Once my local dealer found out about it they flipped out. They contacted the manufacturer and wanted credit for the sale and a part of the profit from the selling dealership. I let the dealers fight it out and just stayed out of it. I ended up having some significant warranty problems with the boat and the local dealer did all of the warranty work with no questions to me. I ended up getting a new boat because of all of the problems I had and the local dealer took car of that for me.

The key here is that the warranty is from the manufacturer not the dealer. As long as I buy the item from a licensed dealer the warranty must be upheld. It would be against the law for a dealer to tell me that I have to buy from them and not another dealer out side of its sales territory. They might not have to do the warranty work, but the manufacturer would be ultimately responsible for the warranty work not the dealer. It might cause some headaches, but to save that kind of money I am willing to put up with a few headaches.

I'm not surprised by what you were told by your dealer. He either a) told you the truth, B) told you what he thinks is true but it isn't, or c) knows its untrue but you're far away and he told you what he knew you needed to hear to keep the sale possible.

You really should call Sundance to see what their take is about whether the local dealer is required to service your spa and if not who will!

The dealer you bought from should either service your spa or cough up a couple hundred to your local dealer to do service, as that is a big nono knowing selling & delivering into someone elses territory. Sundance Corporate wont really care though. But with some companies thats a big faux pas

I'm not surprised by what you were told by your dealer. He either a) told you the truth, B) told you what he thinks is true but it isn't, or c) knows its untrue but you're far away and he told you what he knew you needed to hear to keep the sale possible.

You really should call Sundance to see what their take is about whether the local dealer is required to service your spa and if not who will!

Good suggestion to contact Sundance. I did send Sundance an email last night to see how any warranty work will be handled. The thing is I really don't care if my local dealer does the service or not. It is going to be the responsibility of Sundance not the dealer to have the warranty work done. I read through the warranty document las night and the only thing that they make sure of is that there is a proof of purchase. Here is a quote directly from the warranty document.

"To obtain service in the event of a defect covered by this Limited Warranty, notify your Sundance

dealer or Sundance Spas, Inc. as soon as possible and use all reasonable means to protect the spa

from further damage. Upon proof of purchase, Sundance Spas, Inc. or its designated service

representative will correct the defect subject to the terms and conditions contained in this

Limited Warranty. There will be no charge for parts or labor to repair the defect,

although you may be assessed reasonable repairman travel mileage charges."

If it means Sundance has to bring in an independant contractor to do the work I really don't care. $3000 in savings will pay for a lot of trip charges.

The dealer you bought from should either service your spa or cough up a couple hundred to your local dealer to do service, as that is a big nono knowing selling & delivering into someone elses territory. Sundance Corporate wont really care though. But with some companies thats a big faux pas

I disagree with this philosophy. Why should a business that has a territory have a lock on the customer. By doing this you don't allow for competition in the market place and the looser is the consumer. Granted the business is out to make money, but there are several different business models that work. I gave my local dealer every opportunity to make this sale. I wasn't expecting them to come down to the price that this other dealer did, but they dropped there price a whopping $300. I would never expect a dealer to share a profit over territory sale issues.

I disagree with this philosophy. Why should a business that has a territory have a lock on the customer. By doing this you don't allow for competition in the market place and the looser is the consumer. Granted the business is out to make money, but there are several different business models that work. I gave my local dealer every opportunity to make this sale. I wasn't expecting them to come down to the price that this other dealer did, but they dropped there price a whopping $300. I would never expect a dealer to share a profit over territory sale issues.

I agree, territorial sales is one of the worst things for this country. Competition keeps us sharp and if we can't find ways to make our business profitable IE good service and extra's we loose the edge.

And just like the service down the road if and when you are going to need it. There should be competition as to who is the best based on your decision to service your spa. If it's warranty then the manufacturer should reimburse whomever payed for the service, customer or service department.

That's fine but there is one ting to know. Dealers do NOT make money on warranty calls. They get reimbursed from the manufacturer but they'll all tell you it’s a break even type deal for warranty calls but that’s the price of doing business. However, if the warranty call is on a spa that someone else sold you then they can't fall back on the thought that they made money on the sale. Therefore, in your warranty you'll note that it clearly states that the dealer can charge a "trip or travel charge" for warranty work. Some dealers charge this fee (maybe $30, 40 or $60) for coming out to do any warranty work while many others do not invoke such a fee for their local customers. Other dealers simply work on their customers and that’s it (this is where Sundance would haev to find someone for you). If it’s an independent person coming out you’ll certainly get such a fee. I can pretty much guarantee that the local dealer will charge you a fee IF he services your spa. Hopefully you will take the approach that you saved enough money up front to pay that fee and know you're still ahead.

BTW, I wouldn't be e-mailing Sundance. This is a big purchase, use the phone.

That's fine but there is one ting to know. Dealers do NOT make money on warranty calls. They get reimbursed from the manufacturer but they'll all tell you it’s a break even type deal for warranty calls but that’s the price of doing business. However, if the warranty call is on a spa that someone else sold you then they can't fall back on the thought that they made money on the sale. Therefore, in your warranty you'll note that it clearly states that the dealer can charge a "trip or travel charge" for warranty work. Some dealers charge this fee (maybe $30, 40 or $60) for coming out to do any warranty work while many others do not invoke such a fee for their local customers. Other dealers simply work on their customers and that’s it (this is where Sundance would haev to find someone for you). If it’s an independent person coming out you’ll certainly get such a fee. I can pretty much guarantee that the local dealer will charge you a fee IF he services your spa. Hopefully you will take the approach that you saved enough money up front to pay that fee and know you're still ahead.

BTW, I wouldn't be e-mailing Sundance. This is a big purchase, use the phone.

I think he is emailing Sundance so if they commit to serviceing the spa then he will have a printable" hard copy" to prove they agreed to service the spa. A phone call has no record if he had to fight for who will pay for warranty work unless they are willing to give him in writting a conformation.

• 3 weeks later...