Hot Spring Kwh Per Day Usage?

giddy169

I bought the Infinity Sun Peak Spa from Costco and I use around 350 kwh a month with it which is way to much for me. It puts me into a $.36 khw bracket which is more than I want to pay oh well I guess.

I was just wondering what the other more insulated spas (hot springs etc) would run in kwh usage per month or maybe a smaller 3 person spa?

Any help would be appreciated.

I bought the Infinity Sun Peak Spa from Costco and I use around 350 kwh a month with it which is way to much for me. It puts me into a $.36 khw bracket which is more than I want to pay oh well I guess.

I was just wondering what the other more insulated spas (hot springs etc) would run in kwh usage per month or maybe a smaller 3 person spa?

Your post is hardly surprising; there have been many threads from owners of spas like Infinity and Hydrospa professing of high KW usage so you are not alone. Those spas are simply not insualted well. Do a search on this site and you can get some info on how owners better insulate these type spas.

I bought the Infinity Sun Peak Spa from Costco and I use around 350 kwh a month with it...

Can you tell me how you arrived at this figure? Also, how often are you using your spa in a month to use 350 kwh? Since we added an addition to our house last winter, it's impossible for me to compare my electric usage from the same billing cycle last year to see how much more we're using now that we have the spa (we also bought an Infinity Sun Peak from Costco) b/c I can't tell how much of the added cost is from the extra square footage and how much is from the spa. So your post may be helpful. I will say that we took some advice from Ken Gorman who posted an excellent set of instructions for adding additional insulation to our cabinet (our cost was about $100) and we also bought a closed-cell floating blanket. My husband's company is purchasing an infrared camera in the next few weeks and I'm anxious to take some pictures of the spa now that we've added the extra insulation to see how much heat is escaping and from where.

Sandi

Your post is hardly surprising; there have been many threads from owners of spas like Infinity and Hydrospa professing of high KW usage so you are not alone. Those spas are simply not insualted well. Do a search on this site and you can get some info on how owners better insulate these type spas.

Your post doesn't surprise me at all! The usage he post at 350 killowatts is normal and I noticed that Hotspringe won't ever give that info in real world numbers.

I came to my electricity usage by comparing a few months of bills and watching my meter during filtrations and heating cycles. I have recently unplugged and drained the spa and am now trying to determine how I want to return it. Also after looking at the filter compartment the filter is split and crushed on the bottom with a few other loose parts which I assume broke off of something.

Your post doesn't surprise me at all! The usage he post at 350 killowatts is normal and I noticed that Hotspringe won't ever give that info in real world numbers.

I came to my electricity usage by comparing a few months of bills and watching my meter during filtrations and heating cycles. I have recently unplugged and drained the spa and am now trying to determine how I want to return it. Also after looking at the filter compartment the filter is split and crushed on the bottom with a few other loose parts which I assume broke off of something.

I have a few questions that seem kinda odd seeing you purchased the spa through Costco.

1) Why would you wonder how to return the spa as the proceedure was clearly laid out when you puchased it as well in the delivery info you signed.

2) Why didn't you inspect the spa and find the broken filter parts and call Customer service when you set it up? Did someone else set it up for you? I ask this as the filters don't come pre installed but seperate in wrap as they are new with the spa to be installed when the spa is set up.

3) Why would the 350 kwh put you in a higher level of cost be the spas fault? It uses less then the Sundance spa listed in this forum so what where you expecting to use in killowats per month?

4) I assume you called customer service and asked there support staff what was going on? What did they say?

1) I have heard I can return the Spa directly to my local Costco or sometimes I they will arrange for it to be picked up.

2) My filter was already installed in the spa when I got it, I visually inspected it but did not take the whole assembly apart as it was already installed. There was also a little bit of water in the spa which I assumed was from them testing it.

3) I didn't have a good estimate of the Kilowatt usage per month because the no spa company would give me a kilowatt usage number and I never went to this site looking at the kilowatt usage of a spa. All anyone would tell me is that the spa would run $40 to $60 maximum but of course now I know they use the base rates for their estimates. If they would have given me an estimate of how much electricity it would use I could have estimated the cost myself. Also, my parents have Hot Springs Classic and their bill only went up $40 so I figured that was about standard but they are also zoned Agricultural so they get a higher kilowatt baseline.

4) I have talked to there customer support staff over some other issues and they were helpful, and they have already offered to replace the spa over another issue but I think I will just return it at this point.

I have a few questions that seem kinda odd seeing you purchased the spa through Costco.

1) Why would you wonder how to return the spa as the proceedure was clearly laid out when you puchased it as well in the delivery info you signed.

2) Why didn't you inspect the spa and find the broken filter parts and call Customer service when you set it up? Did someone else set it up for you? I ask this as the filters don't come pre installed but seperate in wrap as they are new with the spa to be installed when the spa is set up.

3) Why would the 350 kwh put you in a higher level of cost be the spas fault? It uses less then the Sundance spa listed in this forum so what where you expecting to use in killowats per month?

4) I assume you called customer service and asked there support staff what was going on? What did they say?

Hi Giddy. It's become clear reading this forum that energy bills are a much bigger issue in some areas than others. I clearly live in a place with low energy costs, but yours are significantly higher. Energy efficiency of a spa is much more important for you. I don't know if this helps, but here are the statistics I've found. A energy efficient spa with closed cell full foam insulation should use 5-7 kwh per day, a less efficient spa will consume between 12-18 kwh per day. So far, my spa is right on track with what the energy experts say I should expect from an energy efficient spa. Yours is very close to the prediction for a less efficient spa. So if 350 kwh puts you in too high a bracket, you should see how 217 kwh would effect your billing and make a decision from that. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info TinyBubbles I am going to look at some other smaller spas.

Hi Giddy. It's become clear reading this forum that energy bills are a much bigger issue in some areas than others. I clearly live in a place with low energy costs, but yours are significantly higher. Energy efficiency of a spa is much more important for you. I don't know if this helps, but here are the statistics I've found. A energy efficient spa with closed cell full foam insulation should use 5-7 kwh per day, a less efficient spa will consume between 12-18 kwh per day. So far, my spa is right on track with what the energy experts say I should expect from an energy efficient spa. Yours is very close to the prediction for a less efficient spa. So if 350 kwh puts you in too high a bracket, you should see how 217 kwh would effect your billing and make a decision from that. Good Luck.

TinyBubbles - 5-7 kwh a day may be possible in the summer, but NO way possible in a cold climate. My rates are low, and I wish I could get by for $11 a month cost in winter. I would say more like 10-14 kwh per day in winter in northern climates.

My Tiger River Bengal (made by Watkins, the comapny that also makes Hot Springs) uses about $45 per month @10 cents a KW-Hr., which equates to about 15 killowatts a day. This is with an outside temperature of 30 - 40 degrees. This is a 330 gallon tub with full foam insulation.

--Nate

TinyBubbles - 5-7 kwh a day may be possible in the summer, but NO way possible in a cold climate. My rates are low, and I wish I could get by for $11 a month cost in winter. I would say more like 10-14 kwh per day in winter in northern climates.

That stinks. You should have bought a more efficient spa.

My Tiger River Bengal (made by Watkins, the comapny that also makes Hot Springs) uses about $45 per month @10 cents a KW-Hr., which equates to about 15 killowatts a day. This is with an outside temperature of 30 - 40 degrees. This is a 330 gallon tub with full foam insulation.

--Nate

It is going to be very unpopular here for you to inform people that your high quality hot springs spa costs as much to run as the low quality, cheap, costco infinity spa. So I guess what soakerman has been saying is true-there is no difference in the dealer sold spas and the big box store spas. They both raise your power bill the same amount. For those of you keeping score it's hot springs spa-15 kwh per day and costco infinity spa-11 to 15 kwh per day. WOW.

It is going to be very unpopular here for you to inform people that your high quality hot springs spa costs as much to run as the low quality, cheap, costco infinity spa. So I guess what soakerman has been saying is true-there is no difference in the dealer sold spas and the big box store spas. They both raise your power bill the same amount. For those of you keeping score it's hot springs spa-15 kwh per day and costco infinity spa-11 to 15 kwh per day. WOW.

Super-Soakerman,

So all you need to do is find two people who claim the same usage and that holds true over thousands of spas? What about the NUMEROUS Infinty owners who have posted MUCH higher usage on thier spas the past 6 months? Don't their posts count too?

Super-Soakerman,

So all you need to do is find two people who claim the same usage and that holds true over thousands of spas? What about the NUMEROUS Infinty owners who have posted MUCH higher usage on thier spas the past 6 months? Don't their posts count too?

Nope not when you have blinders on and you also have a agenda. I have asked soakerman so many questions that he simply ignores.

Is this the 220 or the 110 model Bengal?

--Nate

I have to say, that my 450 KW-hr/month usage estimate is just that. I may be off. This is with using the spa once per day on weekdays and twice a day on weekends, one fill during the time period. It may be only $30 a month more, which would equate to 300 KW-Hr per month.

My wife bought me a "Kill-O-Watt" power usage meter this Christmas and I would love to figure out how to hook it up to my tub so I could track its power usage over the month. It is theoretically possible, because my Tiger River Bengal is a 120 volt/15 amp hot tub, the the Kill-O-Watt meter I have can handle 15 amps. The problem is that I would have to hard wire it into the curcuit, since the Watkins plug is not a standard outlet plug. I may give it a try, though and mount the meter on the wall of the house and run it for a month and see what it registers.

--Nate