Infinity Spa 120v Circulating Pump Problem....

Joeybobby

Yes, that's exactly it. The company that made it finally are starting to realize there is something going on with it. Also, the ozone isn't even hooked through pump 1 or the circ pump.. Its hooked to a jet controlled by pump 2 which doesn't even come on during filtering, it only comes on when I turn it on when Im in it and the Ozone is turned off...... I agree it should have a filter designated to it where it is pulling water in through pump 2 and through the non-filtered inlet at the bottom of the foot well, last but not least it pulls very little water down through the filter....... False advertisement is right!

It's either false advertising or they're subcontracting out their plumbing design to the local high school shop class (or both).

HAHAHA That's too funny! I actually told the guy it looked like a bunch of teenagers threw it together...

Hmmm interesting.... Here is how mine works.

It is plumbed so it pulls water through filter 2, right beside the main filter. It shares a T fitting with pump 2(which has 1 speed even though I have to push the button twice to get it to go meaning that the pad is set up for a 2 speed pump on 2) It goes back to the circ motor and then discharges it directly out its own jet. It comes on only when pump 1 in in its filtering mode and shuts off when its done. When the unit calls for heat pump 1 starts in low speed and the circ pump doesnt come on at all. It seems it only comes on when its in its filtering mode and pump 1 comes on low speed. Seems useless to me. The ozone is plumbed on the discharge side of pump 1. So the outcome is a low voltage pump that filters beside a high voltage pump... Seems pointless to me. Oh ya, whenever a pump is turned on high speed the circ pump shuts off also when pump 2 comes on the circ pump shuts off and you can feel that designated jet sucking in water. Makes me wonder if the circ pump is pulling water through motor 2 as well as through the filter which would make it even more useless... Nothing runs when the unit is idle..... Seems like a screwed up system to me........

I agree, if that's how they have it set up it seems like a pointless thing to add.

Hi, I made a sketch of how it is plumbed.... Here it is.

Also, here is a picture of the diagram on the back of the control box cover...

If you have time let me know what you think..... My solution would be to take the air hose off of jet 1 and swap it with the ozone hose of jet 2. That would get the Ozone going anyway.. Still doesn't solve the 24hr circulation problem though...... Thanks!

1-go to www.photobucket.com and open a free account

2-upload the pictures you want to post

3-once your pics are uploaded there are several codes underneath each picture, click on the IMG code

4-click copy of the code

5-click on reply to the topic your in on the forum and right click paste in the response.

6-click add reply and your done.

If you can show spatech an actual picture that you've taken of the plumbing inside your compartment, specifically around the heater, I'm sure he can help you out.

Ok, Ill try that! Thanks!

I'm a little late to this thread. I, too, purchased an Infinity Spa from ebay. I also purchased the optional 24-hour circulation pump.

Here's how mine works - hope this information is helpful.

The circulation pump runs 24/7 irrespective of what the other pumps are doing and irrespective of what the heater is doing.

Pump 1 has 2 speeds - low and high. It runs on low speed while filtering - which is currently set for 2 hours a day. It also runs on low speed when the heat turns on (which is when the spa is in standard mode and the temp of the water falls below the set point).

Pump 2 has 1 speed - high. It only turns on manually.

The circulation pump is plumbed as follows - a dedicated filter and basket are in-line into the intake of the pump. The discharge from the pump goes to a single-jet. The ozone unit is plumbed into the same pipe that goes to the single jet. The dedicated filter is right beside the filter that goes to Pump 1 (which is plumbed through the heater).

I have a Balboa SUV board as pictured on page 31 here..

HTH,

Ken

Hi ken,

Im just wondering if the filter that is designated to the circ pump also uses a suction valve that is located at your feet in the footwell. I told them about how mine pulls water back through motor 2, back through the footwell and finally down through the filter. The end result is a suction through the filter that I can hardly feel and I don't think it would be doing any good..... Thanks!

Hi ken,

Im just wondering if the filter that is designated to the circ pump also uses a suction valve that is located at your feet in the footwell. I told them about how mine pulls water back through motor 2, back through the footwell and finally down through the filter. The end result is a suction through the filter that I can hardly feel and I don't think it would be doing any good..... Thanks!

The circ pump doesn't need a bypass and should draw directly through teh filter but the way you describe it sounds like most of the circ pump water gets drawn through the pump. That circ pump is a waste of money based on how they plumbed it. You should ask them to simply remove it and give you your money back.

Hi ken,

The circ pump doesn't need a bypass and should draw directly through teh filter but the way you describe it sounds like most of the circ pump water gets drawn through the pump. That circ pump is a waste of money based on how they plumbed it. You should ask them to simply remove it and give you your money back.

Ya I hear ya there.. They did offer to give me a full refund for the pump or to send a tech out to fix it. I chose a tech... Will see what happens..... They did however say it was plumbed right.... I don't believe it is or does anybody else that I've told that this does not directly affect. Im talking to Balboa through email and hopefully they will get back to me about how it is supposed to be plumbed so I can forward the email to them... Thanks!

3-once your pics are uploaded there are several codes underneath each picture, click on the IMG code

4-click copy of the code

5-click on reply to the topic your in on the forum and right click paste in the response.

If you can show spatech an actual picture that you've taken of the plumbing inside your compartment, specifically around the heater, I'm sure he can help you out.

I'm a little late to this thread. I, too, purchased an Infinity Spa from ebay. I also purchased the optional 24-hour circulation pump.

The circulation pump runs 24/7 irrespective of what the other pumps are doing and irrespective of what the heater is doing.

Pump 1 has 2 speeds - low and high. It runs on low speed while filtering - which is currently set for 2 hours a day. It also runs on low speed when the heat turns on (which is when the spa is in standard mode and the temp of the water falls below the set point).

The circulation pump is plumbed as follows - a dedicated filter and basket are in-line into the intake of the pump. The discharge from the pump goes to a single-jet. The ozone unit is plumbed into the same pipe that goes to the single jet. The dedicated filter is right beside the filter that goes to Pump 1 (which is plumbed through the heater).

HTH,

Ken

I'm the spa tech for Hillbilly Hot Tubs, Having worked on several Infinity spas. The circ pump the put in is usually hot wired and does not go through the board (not the right way to do it!) it is then t"eed into one of the other pumps plumbing. If you put the dip switch into circ pump postion it will shut the low speed off on the #1 pump and your spa will not heat. I would leave the dip switch in the 2 speed spot and not use the circ. I would also fight to get my $300 back as they have done it wrong again. This is not a Balboa problem! It has to do with Infinity not doing things the right way and trying to push to many tubs out the door for the big box stores and the internet. As a side note Infinity just bought Keys Back Yard so look out Home Depot and Walmart the quality will go from poor to worse.

Laurel

4-click copy of the code

HTH,

Ken

I'm the spa tech for Hillbilly Hot Tubs, Having worked on several Infinity spas. The circ pump the put in is usually hot wired and does not go through the board (not the right way to do it!) it is then t"eed into one of the other pumps plumbing. If you put the dip switch into circ pump postion it will shut the low speed off on the #1 pump and your spa will not heat. I would leave the dip switch in the 2 speed spot and not use the circ. I would also fight to get my $300 back as they have done it wrong again. This is not a Balboa problem! It has to do with Infinity not doing things the right way and trying to push to many tubs out the door for the big box stores and the internet. As a side note Infinity just bought Keys Back Yard so look out Home Depot and Walmart the quality will go from poor to worse.

Laurel

Hi Laurel,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, it seems that this is what is being done. Just a question though... Do you think their circulating pump is strong enough to heat the tub if it is plumbed through the heating element? If so what if I took pump 2 and the suction valve and unhooked them off of filter 2 the hooked them together making pump 2 only draw water from the foot well(that's how pump 3 is plumbed). Then taking the circ pump and pipe it through the heater and have it only pull water through filter 2? Also, I would have to re-pipe the ozonator to the circ pump line.... Let me know what you think.. Much appreciated! Thanks!

Joey

Ya I hear ya there.. They did offer to give me a full refund for the pump or to send a tech out to fix it. I chose a tech...

No offense but besides choosing Infinity in the first place, getting the circ pump option is proving not to have been wise (granted you had no way of knowing at the time) yet now that you know that the circ pump is not installed correctly and never will be (sure the tech can make it somewhat useful) why would you not choose to just get a refund?

I would not hesitate one second but to get my money back on that circ pump option!!! Circ pumps are great when utilized properly but if its not tied into the heating, filtering and ozone so the main pump doesn't have to perform those duties (a little cheaper and a lot quieter that way) what's the point of even leaving that circ pump in? If you do leave it in you absolutely need to make sure that the ozone is tied into it so it runs 24/7 because that’s about the only meaningful thing it will do for you.

Ya I hear ya there.. They did offer to give me a full refund for the pump or to send a tech out to fix it. I chose a tech...

No offense but besides choosing Infinity in the first place, getting the circ pump option is proving not to have been wise (granted you had no way of knowing at the time) yet now that you know that the circ pump is not installed correctly and never will be (sure the tech can make it somewhat useful) why would you not choose to just get a refund?

I would not hesitate one second but to get my money back on that circ pump option!!! Circ pumps are great when utilized properly but if its not tied into the heating, filtering and ozone so the main pump doesn't have to perform those duties (a little cheaper and a lot quieter that way) what's the point of even leaving that circ pump in? If you do leave it in you absolutely need to make sure that the ozone is tied into it so it runs 24/7 because that’s about the only meaningful thing it will do for you.

No offense taken... I deserve to take a bit of a slap for not doing my homework..haha You are right, I should just take a refund for the circ pump... I just like the how it is SUPPOSED to work and how much it would be easier on motor 1. I just have my hopes up but I think Im dreaming......

• 1 year later...

Hello old friends. Remember this nightmare? heh I found my own old post (this one!) from a g00gle search and while I was reading it I saw 2 other "guests" were also reading this same old post. The topic still must have some life to it ...some interest. I'm having another problem and while this one *above* should be considered closed maybe it would help for folks reading it to know a circ pump can be a properly installed option. Hopefully dude got his money back for an unnecessary circ pump add-on.... meanwhile back at Bo's house.

To clarify I have a Balboa board controlled system. It's a 2007 DownEast Exeter SE (4 pumps). The manual states that if you have the three-pump system (non-SE) the "Jet#1" BUTTON HAS TWO POSITIONS, high and low... low comes on during heating when the spa is unoccupied at programmable intervals for improved filtering. Obviously the more it runs the more electricity it uses, so there are 3 options from Economy mode to Most filtration mode. My SE has the additional factory-added 4th motor which disables the two-speed functionality of #1 button. My 3 motor + 24/7 circ pump only has one speed when I press #1. Obviously it's configured by the factory/dealer to have that function taken over by the 24 hour circ pump and the story preceding was just a dealer gone wild. I mean if I re-read it correctly his #1 button still had two levels high/low *and* a circ pump ...whatev

So I just found the drawback of a pump that runs 24/7 ... it's 3 years later and it's starting to make noise. First I'm a motor rebuilding fool, so no worries. I know it's bearings, but my question is... "Is it worth my time to try and rebuild this pump by replacing bearings, just to have some other moving part of the pump wear out in 6 months (impeller/brushes, etc?) and seals that don't re-seal [leak!]?" After 24,000 hours of operation should I just go ahead and buy a whole new circ pump ($250-ish)? I suppose it could be also be sealed/non-serviceable. Is there an upgraded quieter, more modern/efficient/greener/lasts-longer-for-less$ motor I could pop inline? I'm old so I've already learned the hard way that trying to save money is usually very expensive. Thanks for any advice

Should I start a new thread ;-) heh maybe I'll video it... oh wait I'm sure that's already been done on youtube... lemme go check ...doh! hey is this one of you guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEi9gL-pAyw

Hello old friends. Remember this nightmare? heh I found my own old post (this one!) from a g00gle search and while I was reading it I saw 2 other "guests" were also reading this same old post. The topic still must have some life to it ...some interest. I'm having another problem and while this one *above* should be considered closed maybe it would help for folks reading it to know a circ pump can be a properly installed option. Hopefully dude got his money back for an unnecessary circ pump add-on.... meanwhile back at Bo's house.

To clarify I have a Balboa board controlled system. It's a 2007 DownEast Exeter SE (4 pumps). The manual states that if you have the three-pump system (non-SE) the "Jet#1" BUTTON HAS TWO POSITIONS, high and low... low comes on during heating when the spa is unoccupied at programmable intervals for improved filtering. Obviously the more it runs the more electricity it uses, so there are 3 options from Economy mode to Most filtration mode. My SE has the additional factory-added 4th motor which disables the two-speed functionality of #1 button. My 3 motor + 24/7 circ pump only has one speed when I press #1. Obviously it's configured by the factory/dealer to have that function taken over by the 24 hour circ pump and the story preceding was just a dealer gone wild. I mean if I re-read it correctly his #1 button still had two levels high/low *and* a circ pump ...whatev

So I just found the drawback of a pump that runs 24/7 ... it's 3 years later and it's starting to make noise. First I'm a motor rebuilding fool, so no worries. I know it's bearings, but my question is... "Is it worth my time to try and rebuild this pump by replacing bearings, just to have some other moving part of the pump wear out in 6 months (impeller/brushes, etc?) and seals that don't re-seal [leak!]?" After 24,000 hours of operation should I just go ahead and buy a whole new circ pump ($250-ish)? I suppose it could be also be sealed/non-serviceable. Is there an upgraded quieter, more modern/efficient/greener/lasts-longer-for-less$ motor I could pop inline? I'm old so I've already learned the hard way that trying to save money is usually very expensive. Thanks for any advice

Should I start a new thread ;-) heh maybe I'll video it... oh wait I'm sure that's already been done on youtube... lemme go check ...doh! hey is this one of you guys?

They forgot to show the snow and wind blowing and the rocks your kneeling on, and dog barking and customer who won't pay.

Hey Bo, long time. 3 years ain't bad outa those pumps. You may be able to get a better one but it will maybe cost more. Wait for it to stop spinning, where do you live?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello old friends. <EDIT>

They forgot to show the snow and wind blowing and the rocks your kneeling on, and dog barking and customer who won't pay.

Hey Bo, long time. 3 years ain't bad outa those pumps. You may be able to get a better one but it will maybe cost more. Wait for it to stop spinning, where do you live?

Thanks for the "just let it run..." I may just do that. I'm in Central TX but it's going down to 25 degrees tonight (?!?!?) I was planning on pulling it tonight, but I think I'll put it off. I did find some seal kits online but don't know what's really under the hood... heh maybe I'll video it. Barking dogs and rocks? Thanks for the reality check ;-) One of you guys needs to come to my house so my dogs can bark at you, so *you* can freeze, and I can whine about how much you have to charge me... but first I think I'll do it all wrong ...break something else ...cut the back of my hand ...electrocute myself ...and save $100 ;-) That'll pay for my trip to the ER!~

• 5 weeks later...
Hello old friends. <EDIT>

Thanks for the "just let it run..." I may just do that.<snip>

Well I just pulled a muscle patting myself on the back. To all the cryers complaining about paying spa repairmen... those guys earn your money. I fix everything all the time, so I have wide ranging experience with most modern electro-mechanical stuff. I'm a car guy, and professionally do computer everything, and I have to say ...Spas are crazy!

I let it run for a little while longer but the 24/7 circ pump was just getting too loud. Finally before Christmas I started worrying the temps might drop below freezing while I was outta town. I ordered the part. I'm not even gonna give you the link as they apparently own the Internet Spa parts world and you couldn't miss them blindfolded. Great web site with actual pictures of the part which is how I was confident enough to know I had the right part... the real challenge when doing something like this online.

Actually the online spa parts place was awesome because the two piece filters I ordered were discontinued and replaced with a one piece dual filter which was cheaper and looks kick@ss (design/surface area), but it delayed my shipment because they had to OK with me to change CC charge ...remember I'm outta town. I was sweating getting my circ pump today because it's going to be the coldest day in 14 years in central Texas... tomorrow. It's not supposed to get over 32 F all day ...not good for a powered off spa.

Long story short, pump on porch when I got home from work. Ate some dinner real quick and got busy. Bundled up, as it's so cold the hookers downtown are charging $20 just to blow on your hands. Wow, Spa repair should not be classified as entry or even mid-level DIY. Not impossible for me, but it called in all my skills/experience ...challenging. Add the fact I was laying on the icy concrete ..wet concrete ...which for some reason fascinates dogs. Nothing more exciting than water, (LOTS of!) electricity, and a couple grand worth of motors and circuitry ...the only DIY challenge missing was an explosive liquid and some fire. It'd be easier to install a kitchen sink under the hood of a Corvette ...with a garbage disposal.

It runs so quiet! <happy sigh> it'll be warming up all night ...as opposed to freezing and cracking. I was thinking about video taping the job, but my motivation ....well. It's been weeks with no soaking! Man! I'm going to bed now so I can wake up and get in my hot tub @O'DarcThirty ...it'll be like 20 degrees with 20 mile an hour winds ...and I'll be sipping a cup o' beans with the Miz ...hhmm maybe I'll go raise the temp a degree.

So ...not for the faint-of-heart, but if you're mechanically inclined, and have some common sense, and patience (GD o-Rings! heh) it's rewarding ...me? I'm just cheap!

Well I just pulled a muscle patting myself on the back. To all the cryers complaining about paying spa repairmen... those guys earn your money. I fix everything all the time, so I have wide ranging experience with most modern electro-mechanical stuff. I'm a car guy, and professionally do computer everything, and I have to say ...Spas are crazy!

Isn't that something about the dogs???? It's like they enjoy your pain! Sounds like you got it, lasted about another month and then pooped the bed. Good job.