Hello, I've decided to try the bleach method to control CYA levels, this seems to be the most recently active thread regarding the topic.  The only bleach available in my local store is the "Concentrated Formula", which appears to be 7.5% bleach as opposed to 6%.  It did mention on the label something to the effect of "makes clothes last longer", which concerned me a bit, since I don't know if that suggests some added ingredient that I wouldn't want in a tub, but I decided to try it.  I am now experiencing a lot of foam.  It goes away with the air off, but it's pretty significant with the air on.  Is this an expected result with all bleach, or would this go away if I found the non-concentrated formula?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 8:45 AM, DarinC said:

Hello, I've decided to try the bleach method to control CYA levels, this seems to be the most recently active thread regarding the topic.  The only bleach available in my local store is the "Concentrated Formula", which appears to be 7.5% bleach as opposed to 6%.  It did mention on the label something to the effect of "makes clothes last longer", which concerned me a bit, since I don't know if that suggests some added ingredient that I wouldn't want in a tub, but I decided to try it.  I am now experiencing a lot of foam.  It goes away with the air off, but it's pretty significant with the air on.  Is this an expected result with all bleach, or would this go away if I found the non-concentrated formula?

Thanks!

I’ve been using the 7.5% bleach and not experienced any foam in my bromine spa thus far.   Use the bleach to oxidize the bromide. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 8:51 AM, RDspaguy said:

Most store bought bleach these days has additives. Get pool chlorine.

I’m curious about this.   The “additives” in regular bleach are unknown sure but even pool chlorine seems to have them too.  Here’s a photo. “Other ingredients” just like the bleach...

plus this stuff is 8x more expensive than ordinary bleach from what I can tell   I’d love to be proven wrong though and if there’s a product that is just sodium hypochlorite without extras let me know where it can be found  as I’d look into it  

F0844E7E-C8E0-4248-B187-E6044AA44C62.jpeg

I stand corrected.  Walmart has pool chlorine 10% sodium hypochlorite for only 3.74.$.  With the higher % concentration it IS cheaper than plain bleach.  Not sure about additives.  Either way no reason for me not to use this over the bleach

Pool chlorine is not going to have anything that might affect your spa. Laundry bleach may have a variety of different stuff in there, sometimes listed alongside hypochlorite sometimes not. I bought some cheap beach, not splashless or anything, just sodium hypochlorite listed, but it looked like I was doing dishes in my spa when I used it. Now I buy pool stuff only.