Rainbow Test Kits? Any Good?

greenworks

I am having a hard time getting a taylor k2006 test kit up here however I can get a rainbow test kit R151716 with " Complete 11 test lab. Tests Free, Total and Combined Cl, Br, Iodine, ph, Acid Demand, Total Alkalinity, Water Hardness and Cyanuric Acid. Handy red box contains complete instructions, solutions and tests".

Anyone have any experince withthis kit or one of rainbows kits?

It seems to offer the same line up as the k2006 kit that chem geek recomends as far as I can see anyway...

Jason

I am having a hard time getting a taylor k2006 test kit up here however I can get a rainbow test kit R151716 with " Complete 11 test lab. Tests Free, Total and Combined Cl, Br, Iodine, ph, Acid Demand, Total Alkalinity, Water Hardness and Cyanuric Acid. Handy red box contains complete instructions, solutions and tests".

Anyone have any experince withthis kit or one of rainbows kits?

It seems to offer the same line up as the k2006 kit that chem geek recomends as far as I can see anyway...

Jason

Yes Jason, you are fine with the rainbow kit by Pentair. We sell pools in the excess of $100k and that's what our customers use. It's what I am using now, as well.

Yes Jason, you are fine with the rainbow kit by Pentair. We sell pools in the excess of $100k and that's what our customers use. It's what I am using now, as well.

TinyBubbles,

Does this use a FAS-DPD chlorine test (i.e. add DPD powder that makes the sample pink/red if chlorine is present, then add FAS drops and count them until the sample turns clear) and is this available in Canada? If so, then this would be a good alternative for the folks in Canada that have a hard time getting the Taylor kit (and the TF-100 from tftestkits.com is expensive with shipping and duty). When it tests for water hardness, is it a Total Hardness test or a Calcium Hardness test?

At only $40 here, I suspect this is a DPD chlorine test, not FAS-DPD. This makes it hard to measure chlorine levels above 5 ppm, say when shocking, and very high chlorine levels above 10 ppm FC can bleach out the DPD test completely. The FAS-DPD test, on the other hand, has a resolution of 0.2 ppm (using a 25 ml sample; 0.5 ppm using a 10 ml sample) and can measure up to 50 ppm FC.

Richard

Richard, I can't find any info. on the product he is talking about. I am going to go out on a limb and assume that it is not a FAS-DPD. The kit I use is not either. It works for me because I don't shock with chlorine. That was a good point to bring up. The kit he is looking at should give the ranges that it tests between. Maybe he can dig a little deeper to find the info.

Richard, I can't find any info. on the product he is talking about. I am going to go out on a limb and assume that it is not a FAS-DPD. The kit I use is not either. It works for me because I don't shock with chlorine. That was a good point to bring up. The kit he is looking at should give the ranges that it tests between. Maybe he can dig a little deeper to find the info.

that is exactly my issue as even on the pentair site that makes the kits there is very little info, I guess I will be still looking for a taylor kit as I am a chlorine guy