Bengal Or Trinidad

Hex92

My wife and I have decided that we want a spa. After looking online we went to a spa store today and checked out what they had in stock. We were hoping to find something in the $4000 range that we liked.

They had a Hot Spot Trinidad that looked nice that was $3500 which included a cover and starter chemicals, and install. Its a basic tub and I can't seem to find too much info about it from actual owners. They do allow you to trade it in during the first 12 months for 100% credit towards a more expensive spa.

The other spa we liked was the Tiger River Bengal. It is a end of year closeout. One left. $5500 with cover + the cover glider system thing, ozone system, steps, chemicals, install. Supposedly it is $1000 off regular price.

So is a Bengal worth $2k more than a trinidad? Does the vastly different warranty (1 year vs 5 years) really matter...and is it worth $2k?

Should we just look at more places and maybe find out later that we should have jumped on the Bengal? Is $5500 really that great of a price on a Bengal?

We haven't wet tested either, but they can fill em up for us next week.

They're both well-made spas for their price-point, being lower level lines of Hot Springs -- a Watkins company.

It appears you're new to this site. Any regular here will tell you to get in some of the tubs with water -- "wet testing" -- and see which feels best to you. That will be your best guide. Tiger River won't go anywhere on you within a couple of weeks.

So is a Bengal worth $2k more than a trinidad? Does the vastly different warranty (1 year vs 5 years) really matter...and is it worth $2k?

The warranty difference is tangible and worth $ for sure. Therefore it could be argued the difference in the spas themselves is not really $2000 but more like like $1500.

You'd be happy with the cheaper route but if you buy a quality spa once every 10 years is that $ difference spread over that time frame that big of a deal to you (only you can answer that).

Tiger River is better insulated, the bottom is sealed better, the siding is better and carries a longer warranty. The light is larger - LED - both can be updated to color change for a little extra $, they both dim.

The Tiger River has a circ pump - so you can sit silently and the spa is still filtering and heating. And you will not likely every hear the thing running unless you turn on the jets.

The Bengal comes in two models: the 220 only version has the fountain and a two-speed jet pump. The jet pump is also larger. The convertible version runs on 110 or 220 but has single speed jet pump and no fountain.

The cover is identical on both tubs.

The system is the same: IQ 2020, but some of the features don't appear on the Trin.

The Trinidad only has two types of jets: small and medium. There are no large, or extra large. The Bengal has small, large and extra large. There are no medium.

The jet variety and adjustability on the Bengal is much greater than the Trin. The Bengal has three color choices, the Trin two. Bengal cover has three color choices, the Trin ONE - Rust.

model_trinidad_blue.jpg

Thanks for the info. We are going to soak test the Trinidad tonight. We have decided that we don't want the Bengal at that price. We went out yesterday and looked at some more tubs. Leisure Bay (rec warehouse), D1, and Jacuzzi.

We weren't impressed with any of the Leisure Bay tubs that would fit in our space. The Jacuzzi tubs were too expensive. The Dimension One Seville looks and feels real nice. We were able to try one out (soak) and it is ~$1,000 cheaper than the Bengal and includes all the same extras (cover lifter, steps, chemicals). It doesn't include ozone, but I think I can get him to throw that in when we start negotiating.

The Tiger River dealer indicated that they won't go any lower on the Bengal so there is no reason to even get in it.

So if the Trinidad feels good we buy it for ~$3,500. If not, we go for the Seville for $4500.

and it is ~$1,000 cheaper than the Bengal

The Tiger River dealer indicated that they won't go any lower on the Bengal so there is no reason to even get in it.

Do you plan on owning this tub for any length of time? Most folks end up owning them ten years. You might be moving or something, though you can take it with you - in this case...

The reason I ask is that you seem to have written one spa off over a difference of a thousand bucks. I'm not minimizing the value of a thousand bucks, but for something that you will own as long as this, and for which you are already spending over three grand, I would say try the Bengal and see. If not, you didn't even waste the time, 'cause it's fun to soak. But if you like it, tell yourself that you are worth a grand and get the tub you really like.

Price goes away much fast than the dissappointment of not getting the right tub.

B)

The Dimension One Seville looks and feels real nice. We were able to try one out (soak) and it is ~$1,000 cheaper than the Bengal and includes all the same extras (cover lifter, steps, chemicals). It doesn't include ozone, but I think I can get him to throw that in when we start negotiating.

Go over the differences closely because I can tell you missed one already (or just didn't mention it) You noted ozone was teh only difference but all Hot Springs and Tiger Rivers come with the electrical subpanel included by the dealer whereas the D1 do not.

Both are very well made spas.

About the only thing I can add is that two months ago I bought the Bengal with the exact options you listed, including set up and I paid about $1200 MORE! ($6709.83 was the total, including tax). This was even after a supposidly $500 discount! This was not a "closeout model". This is in Northern Virginia, where prices are high. Where are you located? What you were quoted sounds like a very reasonable price on this tub. Perhaps our tub was more because of transportation made the price higher. Watkins is located in California, clear accross the country.

I do think the Bengal is made very well and its a great spa. If you want more jets and power, though, you need to move up to a more expensive line, such as Hot Springs (also made by Watkins Manufacturing).

By the way are hot tubs an item you can bargain and bicker with the dealer on price? We did not because we really liked the Tiger River tub and did not have a competing dealer tub lined we liked up to use as a barganing tool.

--Nate

I'm in VA (SE) too. The regular price before tax on the tub at the store is $6500. But they said it was the last one of the model year so that is why there is such a good price on it.

We wet tested a bunch more tubs at the first store. The Trinidad, Hot Spot Mallorca, Tiger River Sumatran, something I can't remember, and a Hot Spring Vanguard. The wife LOVED the Vanguard because of the Moto-Massage jets. I liked it too, but it is out of our price (and size) range.

The Trinidad was nice. It was the first spa we tried. Not much power on the jets, but it fit both of us well - I'm 6'4" and the wife is 5'4".

Then we tried the Mallorca. I thought the lounger chair was amazing. I really liked the foot massage it it. The wife wasn't so impressed with it since the lounger didn't fit her as well and she doesn't like the skirt color.

The Sumatran didn't do much for either of us.

The wife says she wants a spa with the moto-massage or the Trinidad. I would be happy with the Mallorca or the Trinidad.

We may ask them to fill the Hot Springs Jetsetter for us. It has the moto-massage and would fit even better on our deck. The dealer called us the next day to tell us that the Mallorca can be traded in within one year just like the Trinidad....

SPATECH: Thanks for the info on the sub panel. I haven't priced them to see what they cost yet....

Damn this is getting more complicated than I thought it would be.

About the only thing I can add is that two months ago I bought the Bengal with the exact options you listed, including set up and I paid about $1200 MORE! ($6709.83 was the total, including tax). This was even after a supposidly $500 discount! This was not a "closeout model". This is in Northern Virginia, where prices are high. Where are you located? What you were quoted sounds like a very reasonable price on this tub. Perhaps our tub was more because of transportation made the price higher. Watkins is located in California, clear accross the country.

I do think the Bengal is made very well and its a great spa. If you want more jets and power, though, you need to move up to a more expensive line, such as Hot Springs (also made by Watkins Manufacturing).

By the way are hot tubs an item you can bargain and bicker with the dealer on price? We did not because we really liked the Tiger River tub and did not have a competing dealer tub lined we liked up to use as a barganing tool.

--Nate

I'm in VA (SE) too. The regular price before tax on the tub at the store is $6500. But they said it was the last one of the model year so that is why there is such a good price on it.

We wet tested a bunch more tubs at the first store. The Trinidad, Hot Spot Mallorca, Tiger River Sumatran, something I can't remember, and a Hot Spring Vanguard. The wife LOVED the Vanguard because of the Moto-Massage jets. I liked it too, but it is out of our price (and size) range.

The Trinidad was nice. It was the first spa we tried. Not much power on the jets, but it fit both of us well - I'm 6'4" and the wife is 5'4".

Then we tried the Mallorca. I thought the lounger chair was amazing. I really liked the foot massage it it. The wife wasn't so impressed with it since the lounger didn't fit her as well and she doesn't like the skirt color.

The wife says she wants a spa with the moto-massage or the Trinidad. I would be happy with the Mallorca or the Trinidad.

We may ask them to fill the Hot Springs Jetsetter for us. It has the moto-massage and would fit even better on our deck. The dealer called us the next day to tell us that the Mallorca can be traded in within one year just like the Trinidad....

SPATECH: Thanks for the info on the sub panel. I haven't priced them to see what they cost yet....

--Nate

First off I think you are doing well with any of the types you have mentioned. We have a Hot Springs Vanguard and it is very nice and we couldn't be happier. I think the jetsetter is also very nice. The Moto-Massage jets are nice although I prefer the others better. The Tiger River Bengal is also a very nice spa that is well insulated. My only advice to you is test and retest and make sure before you buy one. You are far better off if you can to spend just a little more and be happy. I think you are on the right track and I wish you the best of luck. You will love it...

JA

--Nate

• 2 weeks later...

--Nate

I bought the Tiger River Bengal yesterday. I was filled and used as a showroom model. I got it for $5600.00. Its the 110/220 model, I'm going to run it on 220. It also has Ozone and the cover lifter thing included. It looks like I got a pretty good deal. I was wondering now that you've had it for a while do you like it and how much did your elec bill go up? I live in Massachusetts.

This is my first post,

Thanks