Can A Fiberglass Pool Be Installed Partially Above Ground?

has anyone - or know if we can - installed a fiberglass pool above ground? its a 16x40 V bottom pool (goes from 3.5' on the ends to about 6' in the middle) and i want to install the center V section about 2 feet in the ground. this would give me about 4 feet above ground in the middle.

can this be done?

First, why would you want this? Just get an above ground pool, much cheaper. It would be a bad idea because you would not have the sand packed around the edges, a pool installed this way would constantly be unlevel. Every time the ground shifted, froze, etc it would shift. I don't even think it could be filled without leaning to one side. Just not a practical good idea. But, that is my opinion. I am not a pool installer, just an engineer.

• 8 months later...

deep slope in yard and want a raised pool with a wooden deck around it.

I'm a builder, the engineer is right, don't dare want to build that pool out of the ground. I used to build San Juan. They are also super slippery, not safe. If you get a Fox Pool, you could build that level on your bottom end which would get you out of the ground 3 feet, then pour your sub footing around that nice and strong, re rod, fiber, etc. the stronger the better, then have the rest in the ground and build your wood deck over that end out of the ground, I've seen those pools hold water just fine with no back fill, just your concrete footer. double check all engineering specs with a Fox builder first, I don't build them, but I know they are on of the strongest pools out there.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

has anyone - or know if we can - installed a fiberglass pool above ground? its a 16x40 V bottom pool (goes from 3.5' on the ends to about 6' in the middle) and i want to install the center V section about 2 feet in the ground. this would give me about 4 feet above ground in the middle.

can this be done?

Yes it can be done and has been done many times. Feel free to contact me (sramsey@viking pools.net)on this subject.

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a builder, the engineer is right, don't dare want to build that pool out of the ground. I used to build San Juan. They are also super slippery, not safe. If you get a Fox Pool, you could build that level on your bottom end which would get you out of the ground 3 feet, then pour your sub footing around that nice and strong, re rod, fiber, etc. the stronger the better, then have the rest in the ground and build your wood deck over that end out of the ground, I've seen those pools hold water just fine with no back fill, just your concrete footer. double check all engineering specs with a Fox builder first, I don't build them, but I know they are on of the strongest pools out there.