When Do You Add Salt To A Newly Plastered Pool?

lotuseater

I am a plaster contractor in Mi and see guys do it different all the time. I would wait a minimum of 21 days because after 14 its cured. Its important to get the equipment running and Ph at around 7 asap. Brush it at least once a day and get all the plaster dust out. A lot of companies dont wait to add the salt and im not to sure if its good or bad. I would go with whatever the contractor that did your pool says, that way you wont have any problems if any thing goes wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a pool builder and i put the salt in about 10 to 14 days after the pool got plastered. the only thing is to not pale the salt up on the pool floor its going to stain the plaster... Check you chemistry at least twice a week and adjust the PH to around 7....

---> I font add the salt all at ones... on like a 60,000gallon pool i add after about 14days 6 bags of salt and then a couple days later another 6 bags.... and so on until i have around 3500ppm of salt in the pool...

FLEX

When we built a pool, we did not add salt for at least two weeks for an aggregate style pool, or white plaster, and 30 days for colored plaster. Our plaster guys told us that two weeks was ok for any, but we found that adding the salt made the PH hard to manage, and homeowners always struggled with their new pools, so we didn't want to make it too difficult. High PH in a colored plaster pool can be a disaster. So whenever you do add your salt, watch your pool chemistry carefully.

When we built a pool, we did not add salt for at least two weeks for an aggregate style pool, or white plaster, and 30 days for colored plaster. Our plaster guys told us that two weeks was ok for any, but we found that adding the salt made the PH hard to manage, and homeowners always struggled with their new pools, so we didn't want to make it too difficult. High PH in a colored plaster pool can be a disaster. So whenever you do add your salt, watch your pool chemistry carefully.

Salt will only raise TDS. It will not mess with pH or Alk levels. New plaster will tend to raise pH in a pool seriously for the first month and continue this at a slower rate for about a year.

To maintain the low pH would you suggest muratic acid or a dry acid? Also how would you chlorinate to keep a sanizter level? Powder shock(sodium dichlor, cal hypo) could sink and possibly cause problems? Would sodium hypochlorite(liquid chlorine) be better even though that would most likely cause an increase in pH and alkalinity?

To maintain the low pH would you suggest muratic acid or a dry acid? Also how would you chlorinate to keep a sanizter level? Powder shock(sodium dichlor, cal hypo) could sink and possibly cause problems? Would sodium hypochlorite(liquid chlorine) be better even though that would most likely cause an increase in pH and alkalinity?

To keep the pH down. use muratic. For a sanitizer, start with liquid. No algaecide for several weeks.

• 15 years later...