How To Clean Mildew Inside The Spa Cover

mommabuys

I have a spa that is three months old now and am starting to see some mildew spots inside the spa cover. The mildew is where the cover touches the spa when the cover is closed. I used an all-surface cleaner from the pool store, but it doesn't seem to clean the mildew very well. What is the best thing to use to clean this without harming the cover?

I'm wondering if the "spots" are actually mildew. What are you using for a sanitizer?

We check the chlorine daily and add Leisure Time "Spa56" as needed (usually every 1-2 days), add Defender once a week and rinse filters. We bought "Clean & Pertect" from Natural Chemestry to clean the cover, but it didn't completely remove the "mildew" spots. We don't want to ruin the cover with the wrong product, but the clean-freak in me doesn't like looking at mildew spots while relaxing in my spa!

Hi momma, how are you enjoying your new spa? We are loving ours. We have large areas around the top of our spa and if they are wet when the cover is closed, we can get mildew spots on the cover. I use a weak bleach solution and rub it on the spots with a towel and let it sit. You won't see them disappear immediately, but if you give them some time and maybe a second rub, they will. If I take the time to dry off the corner areas the spots don't form. Good luck and I hope your enjoying soaking.

All excellent advice! Remember your spa cover is made to be resistant to chlorinated water, but don't make your cleaning solution too concentrated (water and bleach). Perhaps your spa is indoors? Well it's bad enough outside if it's cold, because either way it may be difficult to rinse off your cover regularly (I bet you have a cover lifter?). Mold needs something to feed on and it can't form on a clean plastic surface. It's good to spray off your underside regularly (of your spa cover of course) to lengthen it's life by removing any dried on spa chemicals...and dried on momma and pappa, then you won't have any damage from concentrated chemicals or mold. If you added up all the money you spent on chemicals and compared it to the cost of a new cover, you can quickly see it's prudent to get the maximum lifespan from your cover with a little quick hose-work... enjoy that soaking!

All excellent advice! Remember your spa cover is made to be resistant to chlorinated water, but don't make your cleaning solution too concentrated (water and bleach). Perhaps your spa is indoors? Well it's bad enough outside if it's cold, because either way it may be difficult to rinse off your cover regularly (I bet you have a cover lifter?). Mold needs something to feed on and it can't form on a clean plastic surface. It's good to spray off your underside regularly (of your spa cover of course) to lengthen it's life by removing any dried on spa chemicals...and dried on momma and pappa, then you won't have any damage from concentrated chemicals or mold. If you added up all the money you spent on chemicals and compared it to the cost of a new cover, you can quickly see it's prudent to get the maximum lifespan from your cover with a little quick hose-work... enjoy that soaking!

Thanks for the info on drying/etc....how much bleach to water ratio would you suggest? We do have a cover lifter and it is outdoors. WE LOVE OUR TUB! We actually use it MORE than we thought we would.

Thanks for the info on drying/etc....how much bleach to water ratio would you suggest? We do have a cover lifter and it is outdoors. WE LOVE OUR TUB! We actually use it MORE than we thought we would.

I would defer to TinyBubbles advice and just use a white towel to blot it on there. Remember to be careful with bleach, a weak solution will be safer for your clothes and the spa cover ...just leave it on there a little longer. Nothing will work better than a nice powerful stream of water to blast it off (and clean your spa filters!), so if you need one go buy a new hose nozzle from the HomeDespot... something with a "jet" option<click me>

The cover lift was mentioned because it might make cleaning your cover less of a simple or obvious task, that's all.

If you added up all the money you spent on chemicals and compared it to the cost of a new cover, you can quickly see it's prudent to get the maximum lifespan from your cover ...

We recently purchased a floating blanket. Before the blanket, when I took the cover off the spa, the whole underside was dripping wet from condensation. Now, the cover is dry except for around the edge where the heat escapes from the sides of the blanket and hits the cover. While the blanket won't prevent moisture where the spa cover and the top edge of the tub touch, and while some people debate the energy savings that a floating blanket yields, the positive effect of the blanket on the underside of the spa cover is pretty obvious - it has to extend the life of the cover.

Sandi

• 13 years later...