Aluminum Wiring Question

cashaau

Thanks for the help. A lot of different information out there, even from the pros. I own a Vita Spa Joli '99, 240V / 50 AMP. Can I run 6 gauge, 4 conductor aluminum from the service panel to the gfci, then #6 AWG copper thhn to the gfci to the tub. Or is the "copper conductor" rule all the way to the service panel. The length of the aluminum run will be 50 ft.

-Dan

Sorry for my original text here. I'm sure you were just trying to help. Aluminum is in use and going strong for those that are wondering.

The code in question is 680.42© . My interpretation and WA's interpretation allow aluminum to be used up to the hot tub GFI/Disconnect then to use a insulated copper wire to the hot tub.

http://www.lni.wa.gov/TradesLicensing/Elec...nts/Elc0609.pdf

Here's another issue.. They can try to enforce a equipotential grounding grid around the thing to. Unless I can find a exception. It matters where you live. Notice I quoted a WA state piece of documentation. But there is also the argument on that copper all the way code that the disconnect makes it a feeder. I feel and you would have to check with your inspector if you decided to get it inspected that the intent of the code is to provide a copper connection at the tub to prevent as many corrosion problems on the ground path.

I am doing my own install. The manufacturer requires 50A. Running out of a service panel from 50A, 2 pole breaker, outdoor through 50' of 3/4" pvc conduit to 50A gfci breaker/disconnect. From gfci, through 6' of liquidtite. All advice is appreciated. This is a rental so I am looking to be cost effective. Thx.

Gotta be honest, you are gonna be hating life trying to pull SER through 3/4" PVC conduit. What I would probably do is bring the SER from inside the house to a non-fused pull style disconnect on the side of the house. Then from there run your conduit to the hot tub disconnect/GFI and use cut to length AL or CU wires for that pull. Individual wires will pull much easier. Your disconnect is supposed to be between 5 and 15 ft from the tub. Your liquitite is supposed to be less than six feet long. Makes it awful hard to get the tub 5 feet away. Are you getting it inspected? If not I would make the liquitite as long as necesary. I"m pretty sure most inspectors would overlook that anyways.

Another option on going from a wall mounted disconnect to your GFI/Disconnect is to use USE cable and burry it a min of 18 inches down. Just stub down 18 inches with your pvc then run the USE over to your disconnect and up a pvc stub.