white water mold

Guest elena

Hi!

I took a sample of water in to the nearby pool/spa shop. We had just bought an Aqua Leisure simple set pool for our son and the the shop owner said all we needed ( for now) was a tester ( strips) and chlorine.

3 weeks later with the sample of water, he says that the chemical levels are OKAY. I mentioned white stuff in the pool and he said that was white mold - drain the pool , clean it out and follow directions from a print out he gave me off some website.

Is white water mold harmful? Is there any other way to treat our pool? ( it's 9 X12 and 30" deep.

Thanks for your comments.

Guest Ron Parrs

White water mold is more nuisance than anything else. It looks awful! It can grow quickly especially when the pool is NOT SHOCKED on a regular basis. Shocking means adding a double or triple dose of chlorine, usually weekly. Other care that you've got to perform is regular brushing of the pool walls & floor, vacuuming, running the filter 8 to 12 hours each day; keeping the water balanced (pH, total alkalinity, hardness). You can find white water mold everywhere, toilets, sinks, etc, that aren't regularly cleaned.

Keep up with the pool chemistry & maintenance & you'll be fine. Draining monthly, especially the smaller pools, isn't a bad maintenance procedure either.

Good luck!