"scum Busters"

biggz

Any advice on the brand of enzymes to use?

I have been using The Natural in my tub, and it's kind of expensive. So I recently bought some Natural Chemistry brand called Spa Perfect. Is that a good brand? What other brands of enzymes are worth using? Are there any to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

The Natural and Spa Perfect completely different types of products. The Natural is a sanitizing enzyme (bacteriacide) that coupled with a low dose of chlorine will keep your spa safe. Spa Perfect is more the type enzyme that is being discussed in this thread, has no sanitizing capabilites and helps with soaps and oils. The Natural is similar to Eco One while Spa Perfect is similar to Leisure Time Enzyme. Google any of these names and you can find all kinds of information.

Thaks for the reply. So I should probably use both. Good thing I only have to add the Natural every few months.

Any advice on the brand of enzymes to use?

I have been using The Natural in my tub, and it's kind of expensive. So I recently bought some Natural Chemistry brand called Spa Perfect. Is that a good brand? What other brands of enzymes are worth using? Are there any to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

The Natural and Spa Perfect completely different types of products. The Natural is a sanitizing enzyme (bacteriacide) that coupled with a low dose of chlorine will keep your spa safe. Spa Perfect is more the type enzyme that is being discussed in this thread, has no sanitizing capabilites and helps with soaps and oils. The Natural is similar to Eco One while Spa Perfect is similar to Leisure Time Enzyme. Google any of these names and you can find all kinds of information.

Thaks for the reply. So I should probably use both. Good thing I only have to add the Natural every few months.

'RickJ', Those products from Natural Chemistry is really good stuff. I use Pool Perfect/Phosfree in my pool and tub. That stuff is fantastic. I never tried the Spa perfect, but I'm confident it's just as good. :D

If you are using The Natural, you probably don't need the other style enzyme. You also can go much longer without a water change than with conventional sanitizers.

If you are using The Natural, you probably don't need the other style enzyme. You also can go much longer without a water change than with conventional sanitizers.

Tony, which is more cost effective. the Natural or Spa perfect? B)

Biggz, both are effective at what they do. Spa Perfect is a nice additive. The Natural coupled with a low dose primary sanitizer such as chlorine is an effective sanitizing system much like Nature2, chlorine and ozone. There are a number of bacteriacide enzyme products on the market but the two most used are the Natural and Eco One.

http://www.rhtubs.com/natural-hot-tub.htm

http://www.pacificsandsinc.com/ecoone.html

If you are really interested in these types of enzymes, you should read as much as you can before using them. I have never used them but I have had some interest. What has kept me from trying is the weekly rinsing of filters and the high pH that enzymes are comfortable at. The price is somewhat high so there is nothing, IMO, more cost effective than a good chlorine routine even with the cost of Spa Perfect added.

Biggz, both are effective at what they do. Spa Perfect is a nice additive. The Natural coupled with a low dose primary sanitizer such as chlorine is an effective sanitizing system much like Nature2, chlorine and ozone. There are a number of bacteriacide enzyme products on the market but the two most used are the Natural and Eco One.

http://www.rhtubs.com/natural-hot-tub.htm

http://www.pacificsandsinc.com/ecoone.html

If you are really interested in these types of enzymes, you should read as much as you can before using them. I have never used them but I have had some interest. What has kept me from trying is the weekly rinsing of filters and the high pH that enzymes are comfortable at. The price is somewhat high so there is nothing, IMO, more cost effective than a good chlorine routine even with the cost of Spa Perfect added.

Tony, I'm already using liquid chlorine to sanitize, an ozonator, a N2 cartridge, poolperfect/phosfree as an additive. Man I think thats it for me. My goal is to have very clean water that I can use on demand. By the way what is foam down? I hardly get foamy water but when I use the air injectors it foams a little. Should I use it. :D

Tony, I'm already using liquid chlorine to sanitize, an ozonator, a N2 cartridge, poolperfect/phosfree as an additive. Man I think thats it for me. My goal is to have very clean water that I can use on demand. By the way what is foam down? I hardly get foamy water but when I use the air injectors it foams a little. Should I use it. :D

I can't say that I blame you. I keep my water very simple with just chlorine, MPS and seasonal enzymes. Foam down is a product that can be applied to foamy water to help reduce the suds. It will reduce the foam for the very short time but doesn't fix the problem. I perfer to scoop out the suds when the build and give the spa a good shock. I do keep foam down around, but its been about five years since I've used it. If you do decide to try it, a good way is to add a little to a spray bottle with water and spray it on the foam. From what you are describing, you do not need it. Air injectors will produce a little foamy water most of the time. When it looks like a bubble bath, its time to address it.

I cleaned my filters this weekend and decided to clean my scumball at the same time. It's been floating really low in the water. I soaked them both in a bleach solution and then ran them through a rinse cycle in the dishwasher. Threw it back in and it's riding high again. Biggz, you might be interested in this. I read on another forum that dishwasher detergent (the plain kind, no additives for glass streaks, etc.) is a cheap alternative to filter cleaner. I only had the packets that you throw in that are multi-purpose, so I headed off to target. I read the back of the dishwasher detergent box to see exactly what I would cleaning my filter in and was suprised to see that the main ingredient is chlorine bleach. So, I scrapped that and used plain old bleach, which is even cheaper than dish detergent. Seemed to work well.

I cleaned my filters this weekend and decided to clean my scumball at the same time. It's been floating really low in the water. I soaked them both in a bleach solution and then ran them through a rinse cycle in the dishwasher. Threw it back in and it's riding high again. Biggz, you might be interested in this. I read on another forum that dishwasher detergent (the plain kind, no additives for glass streaks, etc.) is a cheap alternative to filter cleaner. I only had the packets that you throw in that are multi-purpose, so I headed off to target. I read the back of the dishwasher detergent box to see exactly what I would cleaning my filter in and was suprised to see that the main ingredient is chlorine bleach. So, I scrapped that and used plain old bleach, which is even cheaper than dish detergent. Seemed to work well.

'TinyBubbles', I like them cheap alternatives. :D

I cleaned my filters this weekend and decided to clean my scumball at the same time. It's been floating really low in the water. I soaked them both in a bleach solution and then ran them through a rinse cycle in the dishwasher. Threw it back in and it's riding high again. Biggz, you might be interested in this. I read on another forum that dishwasher detergent (the plain kind, no additives for glass streaks, etc.) is a cheap alternative to filter cleaner. I only had the packets that you throw in that are multi-purpose, so I headed off to target. I read the back of the dishwasher detergent box to see exactly what I would cleaning my filter in and was surprised to see that the main ingredient is chlorine bleach. So, I scrapped that and used plain old bleach, which is even cheaper than dish detergent. Seemed to work well.

That sounds great! Since I de-mineralized my paper filters, my spa is like new. I think I'm going to switch to the dishwasher method too. Just remember before you bash your pool supply guy too much, he's just trying to feed babies... so if he seems to be making a profit, uh well that's what keeps him in business. Think of that before you go to his retail location and he's gone, and you find yourself at the W-Mart buying one brand of low-quality junk... "what? they don't stock *any* type of enzymes? gosh I miss my pool supply guy" Support your neighborhood businesses. Me? I'm buying a 55 gallon drum of generic chlorine bleach offa Ebay B)

Oh the scumball thing? Uh well I accidentally invented one I think because I was wiping down the rim with a microfiber cloth (like you would use to polish your car) <ahem> now we're not exactly sure who was to blame... but somehow it migrated on it's own to the filter compartment where I found it several days later when cleaning the filters. MAN! It had been doing a job on it's own. It was floating on the top and was... well disgusting. Now I'm not recommending you throw a microfiber cloth in your filter compartment... as a matter of fact I'm recommending you DON'T, but it did manage to remove alot of funk. Thanks guys I think I'm gonna go pick up a scumball... sounds more manageable/agreeable. <heh> the microfiber "accident" required some tongs :huh:

I'm not bashing anyone for making a profit. I'm all for capitalism. We live in a free market society, governed by the law of supply and demand. If walmart can supply something I demand at a cheaper price than a pool supply store, I'm going to buy it. If the pool supply person has babies to feed, I had no part in that. What if the consumer has kids to feed and wants to pay less for chemicals? It's not really relevant for me, I work for a pool builder and can get everything I need at cost. Although, I'm impatient and sometimes grab stuff when I'm out on the weekends and pay retail. I'm all about saving greenbacks when it comes to my spa. On the other hand, I only drink Grey Goose vodka and drive a Lexus, go figure! :D

<edited>If the pool supply person has babies to feed, I had no part in that.

<clipped>I work for a pool builder... [enter out of context edit here]

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." LOL! apologies! couldn't resist...

[still chuckling to self]

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_pwwi...11/ai_n16870287

Come on Tiny, we can start our own Spa Martini Institute and get free testing materials (and bribes?) to say what is best. Wow this link sure gives impartial test results. Sheesh girlfriend we're just giving all our good advice away for free! I think it would take several years to test all the various vodkas in all the various hottubs... better start now! :lol: I'll take all the potato vodkas...

...and I consider every dollar spent a Vote on who I want to be in business next year.

Bo "defining Off-Topic!" Darc

<edited>If the pool supply person has babies to feed, I had no part in that.

<clipped>I work for a pool builder... [enter out of context edit here]

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." LOL! apologies! couldn't resist...

[still chuckling to self]

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_pwwi...11/ai_n16870287

Come on Tiny, we can start our own Spa Martini Institute and get free testing materials (and bribes?) to say what is best. Wow this link sure gives impartial test results. Sheesh girlfriend we're just giving all our good advice away for free! I think it would take several years to test all the various vodkas in all the various hottubs... better start now! :lol: I'll take all the potato vodkas...

...and I consider every dollar spent a Vote on who I want to be in business next year.

Bo "defining Off-Topic!" Darc

Bo "defining Off-Topic!" Darc, more drinking post? Do you have any thoughts on other methods of keeping your tub clean? You do make sense when you stay on the topic.B)

Aye Capt'n!

The Scum-Ball thing sounds like a perfect solution to an otherwise funky problem... I'm sold!

check 'em out here. Of course you can google them yourselves or pick up at your local Supply

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals/Po...m-Ball/#reviews

Just little tips like this can improve your spa experience... thanks hippies.

My wife says I'm a "Microfiber Freak". I love my microfiber towels. I even have a microfiber mop (works great). For wiping down the rim of the tub they work great. I start dry and wipe down the outside edge first... best thing is no cleaner chemicals necessary. Then I migrate inward along the water line re-folding it enough so it always has a clean side. All junk gets grabbed and held by the microfibery-ness yet it's so soft it doesn't scratch the acrylic. Once done, don't let it dry out however! I pour a little vinegar on there and toss it in the washer.

Bo

• 3 weeks later...
What exactly is microfiber? How does it work and where can I get it? :huh:

try the automotive section. I like the brand at Target (VROOM). They work great on your car... actually they work great on everything. Microfiber is like fine terry cloth that has used a rubbery core to wrap with absorbent cotton, so while it looks like a washcloth it's grippy and pulls dirt off of everything. Try using them right out of the washing machine while they are barely damp. The only drawback to microfiber is that it is sooo grippy dirt goes in permanently and it's hard to get it to release. Therefore the advice from Tiny to not use fabric softener... it permeates the microfiber and makes it way less absorbent.

I even bought a microfiber mop (Rubbermaid)... amazing. Don't even bother trying to clean the things just toss them in the washer... so when you see the big stack of them in the automotive section, get 'em, you're gonna need alot ;) They have a box of 3 at the bedbathbeeyond... and those were the worst. I also found a big fluffy one and that's perfect for drying the dog... even the dog loves 'em ...uhh what forum am I on?! Oh yeah, they make fast work of that crusty spa rim!