"scum Busters"

biggz

Hello forum, Once again I require your help. This time I'd like to know what products do you use to fight the dreaded ring around the tub. When I bought my tub, I purposely chose white because it matched my pool, and also showed when it needed cleaning. Being white the dirt (algae, slime, scum) could be easily identified and remedied. I try to keep my tub very clean and water properly balanced within the necessary ranges. When I first purchased the tub I opened it with the Bromine system provided in the purchase. It was the "Leisure Time start up kit". After a few days of using the Bromine and trading ideas with some forum friends I decided to change to a Chlorine system that I knew I'd be more familiar with. To this day this is the system that I use with excellent results and no cloudy water days. I say all this because despite the change I continued to use some of the Leisure Time (foam down, enzymes) products. I finished the enzymes and changed to a product that I use in my pool with the similar results. So what I'd like to know is what products do you use if any? Do you shower before and after using your tub? I occasionally will shower before but most of the time it's after. Do you feel the products used is working and why? Do you know of or use a substitute product that gives you the same results (chemical or organic). ;)

As always your participation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Biggz B)

Wow. I never heard of these products (Scum Ball and Scum Bug). :huh: Are they a solid that dissolves over time and if so how long do they last? B) Also do you think they're better than liquids?

Scum Balls and Scum Bugs are white foam bug shaped pads about six inches long that are something like a sponge. They absorb oils and soaps so they don't rest on the water and collect on the shell at the water line. They are very inexpensive and worth throwing in. Most of the time they will "reside" in the filter well.

I like the enzyme products. I use Leisure Time Enzyme off and on. The pool product you are using will work fine. Enzymes work best if used as a preventative measure product verses a fix a problem product. They also make your water smell "fresh" and enzymes will never hurt your water.

Scum Balls and Scum Bugs are white foam bug shaped pads about six inches long that are something like a sponge. They absorb oils and soaps so they don't rest on the water and collect on the shell at the water line. They are very inexpensive and worth throwing in. Most of the time they will "reside" in the filter well.

I like the enzyme products. I use Leisure Time Enzyme off and on. The pool product you are using will work fine. Enzymes work best if used as a preventative measure product verses a fix a problem product. They also make your water smell "fresh" and enzymes will never hurt your water.

'tony' I just read up on the scum balls and I think I will be going by my pool store today. :D I like enzymes as well. I use a pool product call Pool Perfect/ Phosfree by Natural Chemistry. It's very good, but these balls seem to do the same thing minus the phosphate control at a much cheaper cost. I would continue to use the Pool Perfect/ Phosfree but at a reduced rate. Another thing, is there a product from another market that does the same thing. Say a market like the bed bath industry. You know me, always trying to save a buck :lol:

'tony' I just read up on the scum balls and I think I will be going by my pool store today. :D I like enzymes as well. I use a pool product call Pool Perfect/ Phosfree by Natural Chemistry. It's very good, but these balls seem to do the same thing minus the phosphate control at a much cheaper cost. I would continue to use the Pool Perfect/ Phosfree but at a reduced rate. Another thing, is there a product from another market that does the same thing. Say a market like the bed bath industry. You know me, always trying to save a buck :lol:

I don't know of enzyme products from another market that will work in a spa. One thing is for sure...enzymes don't come cheap. :)

Try looking on ebay or on some online stores. I know that I've found the scum balls online for about half of what my local dealer was charging.

http://home.search.ebay.com/scum_Pools-Spa...40QQsacatZ20727

Try looking on ebay or on some online stores. I know that I've found the scum balls online for about half of what my local dealer was charging.

http://home.search.ebay.com/scum_Pools-Spa...40QQsacatZ20727

'RickJ', Rick you're right Ebay will probably have it cheaper providing the seller doesn't hit me in the head with the shipping. But I'm still interested in finding out if there is another industry that uses the same type of product to control waterline scum, but doesn't have hot tub or spa on the label. I've noticed every time I see them on a product label it cost more then the same basic product without them. Maybe it's me. :huh:

Biggz, they sell an enzyme product at Home Depot for use in bathrooms. I have no idea if it would translate. I wish I could remember what it's called. The little buggers in it eat up the soap scum, etc. It used to be in the back, behind the kitchen custom order section. Next time I'm in there, I'll see if I can find it and get a name. Something wants me to say it was something to do with "eliminator".

sometimes they dont even repackage the items...just change the prices. Case in point.... I blow off my motorcycle when she gets wet from riding in rain or I wash her (once or twice per year...LOL).....I used the leaf blower for a long time and wanted a JetForce drying contraption for sale ina motorcycle accessory and parts catalog....price was nearly $180-200 dollars. Then I noticed months later the same exact item..same name...same power and accessories is for sale in the mail order Pet Supply Catalog for $100-125....LOL I about fell out of my seat and glad I did not buy it last year when I wanted one...and now will consider one of the reduced priced ones for drying your dogs hair at a dog show...LMAO :D

Love my scum ball! I squeeze it outside of the tub everynight when we soak and rinse it out with the garden hose once a week.

Tiny, I never heard about scum balls until this thread. It really seems to be a great product. Do you think that using it will save purchasing enzymes? B)

Biggz, they sell an enzyme product at Home Depot for use in bathrooms. I have no idea if it would translate. I wish I could remember what it's called. The little buggers in it eat up the soap scum, etc. It used to be in the back, behind the kitchen custom order section. Next time I'm in there, I'll see if I can find it and get a name. Something wants me to say it was something to do with "eliminator".

Tiny, this sounds like a good start. I'm always looking for alternative products that do the same thing as the so called spa products. It just seems that if it says hot tub, pool or spa they manufacturer marks the price up another 20-25%. I'm guessing they feel if you can afford a tub you can afford to pay more. Not me. :lol::lol::lol:

sometimes they dont even repackage the items...just change the prices. Case in point.... I blow off my motorcycle when she gets wet from riding in rain or I wash her (once or twice per year...LOL).....I used the leaf blower for a long time and wanted a JetForce drying contraption for sale ina motorcycle accessory and parts catalog....price was nearly $180-200 dollars. Then I noticed months later the same exact item..same name...same power and accessories is for sale in the mail order Pet Supply Catalog for $100-125....LOL I about fell out of my seat and glad I did not buy it last year when I wanted one...and now will consider one of the reduced priced ones for drying your dogs hair at a dog show...LMAO :D

'Brock', that's exactly what I'm talking about. I beat you felt a lot better not over paying for that motorcycle blower. You found the same product in a pet store? :lol::lol: Man marketing is amazing.

I don't see why we would need scumballs and enzymes. I read up on enzymes yesterday and it kept saying that they gobble up organics and prevent scum around the waterlines. That's what our ozonator and the scumball do. I'm still using my original scumball and no scum around the water line. I think they retail around 10 bucks for a 2-pack. Last night we heated our towels in the dryer, heated a cherry pit pillow in the microwave and threw them all in the cooler. Man, did that feel nice when we got out of the tub. Now I think I'll nix the towel rack and build some kind of decorative insulated box. I'm thinking we could line it with insulation or else build something pretty that a styrofoam cooler could sit in.

I don't see why we would need scumballs and enzymes. I read up on enzymes yesterday and it kept saying that they gobble up organics and prevent scum around the waterlines. That's what our ozonator and the scumball do. I'm still using my original scumball and no scum around the water line. I think they retail around 10 bucks for a 2-pack. Last night we heated our towels in the dryer, heated a cherry pit pillow in the microwave and threw them all in the cooler. Man, did that feel nice when we got out of the tub. Now I think I'll nix the towel rack and build some kind of decorative insulated box. I'm thinking we could line it with insulation or else build something pretty that a styrofoam cooler could sit in.

Tiny, It does seem redundant to use both enzymes and scumballs. I've noticed that when I use the enzymes the tub doesn't foam as much and the regular use almost eliminates foaming period. Have any one noticed this as well? Since I brought it up what about products that will eliminate or reduce foaming and clarifier's. What has been your experience with these additives. Are there any alternative products that will accomplish the same results. :D

Tiny, It does seem redundant to use both enzymes and scumballs. I've noticed that when I use the enzymes the tub doesn't foam as much and the regular use almost eliminates foaming period. Have any one noticed this as well? Since I brought it up what about products that will eliminate or reduce foaming and clarifier's. What has been your experience with these additives. Are there any alternative products that will accomplish the same results. :D

If I had to choose between the two, I would use the enzymes. But the scum bugs are so inexpensive and last long enough why wouldn't you use one with the enzymes.

If I had to choose between the two, I would use the enzymes. But the scum bugs are so inexpensive and last long enough why wouldn't you use one with the enzymes.

'tony', I must admit that's a good point. Why would you choose the enzymes over scumball if the choice was presented?

well the scum bug has been in spa since Saturday....and here it is Wednesday and no scum anymore....and foam has been reduced 90% as it was starting to get bad after 8 weeks of heavy use with no pre-showers.

the little things must be working and at 6 bucks for one or 10 bucks for two...and they will last a year...why pay for enzymes unless it is for a tuneup every couple months to keep things in check before a water change is require. :D :D

'tony', I must admit that's a good point. Why would you choose the enzymes over scumball if the choice was presented?

Enzymes eliminate oils and soaps in the whole spa while scumballs collect whatever comes in contact with it. If you use enzymes with a scum ball, the scum ball will probably never need rinsing. Enzymes will also keep your filter cleaner and your water "fresher". Enzymes are certainly a luxury and not a necessity and work best, IMO, as a maintenance item you add weekly.

You can't beat the value of a scum ball or scum bug, though.

You know how there are certain people that you just trust? One of these people advised me to do very little to my spa water. I've followed their advice. No clarifiers, no foam down, no products to lock in ph, etc. So far, so good. My water is as crystal clear as the day I got it. In the beginning, there was some stuff on the water line. This never happens anymore, I'm not sure why. I use a scumball, squeeze it out each time I get in tub, rinse it out when I think about it. I, also, run around the waterline each week with a tub rub. There is nothing there, but I'm obsessive-compulsive. I adjusted my ph, alk and calcium hardness when I filled, haven't touched them since. I do add, ummmm, defender (the green stuff?) each week. When I read posts on this forum, it seems like the people that have the most water problems are the "adders". They read their manuals and follow them to a T. It says if your reading is this...add this. I don't take that approach. Even when I adjusted in the beginning, I only added a fraction of what was recommended. And guess what, it worked. I would rather add a smaller amount several times than overdosing once. Seems like people get stuck in a vicious cycle. I doubt this applies to enzymes. I'm assuming they are harmless.

You know how there are certain people that you just trust? One of these people advised me to do very little to my spa water. I've followed their advice. No clarifiers, no foam down, no products to lock in ph, etc. So far, so good. My water is as crystal clear as the day I got it. In the beginning, there was some stuff on the water line. This never happens anymore, I'm not sure why. I use a scumball, squeeze it out each time I get in tub, rinse it out when I think about it. I, also, run around the waterline each week with a tub rub. There is nothing there, but I'm obsessive-compulsive. I adjusted my ph, alk and calcium hardness when I filled, haven't touched them since. I do add, ummmm, defender (the green stuff?) each week. When I read posts on this forum, it seems like the people that have the most water problems are the "adders". They read their manuals and follow them to a T. It says if your reading is this...add this. I don't take that approach. Even when I adjusted in the beginning, I only added a fraction of what was recommended. And guess what, it worked. I would rather add a smaller amount several times than overdosing once. Seems like people get stuck in a vicious cycle. I doubt this applies to enzymes. I'm assuming they are harmless.

That is the nice part about enzymes...they won't hurt your water. I don't use them all the time because I do very little to my water...but during the winter when it can be more difficult to fix any water problems and I stretch my filter cleanings...I use enzymes. Then, of course, I wonder why I don't use them all the time because I like what they do to the water.

Any advice on the brand of enzymes to use?

I have been using The Natural in my tub, and it's kind of expensive. So I recently bought some Natural Chemistry brand called Spa Perfect. Is that a good brand? What other brands of enzymes are worth using? Are there any to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Any advice on the brand of enzymes to use?

I have been using The Natural in my tub, and it's kind of expensive. So I recently bought some Natural Chemistry brand called Spa Perfect. Is that a good brand? What other brands of enzymes are worth using? Are there any to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

The Natural and Spa Perfect completely different types of products. The Natural is a sanitizing enzyme (bacteriacide) that coupled with a low dose of chlorine will keep your spa safe. Spa Perfect is more the type enzyme that is being discussed in this thread, has no sanitizing capabilites and helps with soaps and oils. The Natural is similar to Eco One while Spa Perfect is similar to Leisure Time Enzyme. Google any of these names and you can find all kinds of information.