Old Spa Refurbish

Venom

Hello all. New here, but have been reading for quite some time. Finally took the plunge and got an older model spa for a great price...free. The folks I got it from hadn't used it in years and it was disconnected when I picked it up. They told me that everything still worked on it when they last had it set up. I do not know the brand and cannot find one on it anywhere. However, it is a 3 person (2 seats, 1 lounger) that I will build the cabinet for. I'm sure I will have many questions, but I'm going to start with some basic ones here.

First of all, is there a way to determine the brand? The tub has a control pack that says 'Hurricane Products, Inc.' This is the only name I can find anywhere on the tub. It has a Model # of A151522LSSO-CA and was manufactureed on 5/27/1994. Is the Model # coded similar to vehicle VIN's so that I can tell the manufacturer. I guess it's not that important, but I'd just like to know.

Next is where I appeal to all you wonderful experienced people. Being new to this and not knowing a great deal about hot tubs, what are some of the basic steps I should take to 'check out' the tub before I get to installing it? That is, how do I make sure that the controls, heating, etc. are working properly? I've thought about getting the tub framed and plumbed in within enclosing it up, then doing all the diagnosing. What do you think?

Thanks...Venom

Hello all. New here, but have been reading for quite some time. Finally took the plunge and got an older model spa for a great price...free. The folks I got it from hadn't used it in years and it was disconnected when I picked it up. They told me that everything still worked on it when they last had it set up. I do not know the brand and cannot find one on it anywhere. However, it is a 3 person (2 seats, 1 lounger) that I will build the cabinet for. I'm sure I will have many questions, but I'm going to start with some basic ones here.

First of all, is there a way to determine the brand? The tub has a control pack that says 'Hurricane Products, Inc.' This is the only name I can find anywhere on the tub. It has a Model # of A151522LSSO-CA and was manufactureed on 5/27/1994. Is the Model # coded similar to vehicle VIN's so that I can tell the manufacturer. I guess it's not that important, but I'd just like to know.

Next is where I appeal to all you wonderful experienced people. Being new to this and not knowing a great deal about hot tubs, what are some of the basic steps I should take to 'check out' the tub before I get to installing it? That is, how do I make sure that the controls, heating, etc. are working properly? I've thought about getting the tub framed and plumbed in within enclosing it up, then doing all the diagnosing. What do you think?

Thanks...Venom

If possible...fill it up first to see if there are leaks!!! I refurbish lots of tubs and I don't do anything control pack/cabinet wise before confirming that it holds water without leaks.

If it's been sitting for a a couple years more than liekly you will need to replace the pump seals on the motor. Even b4 putting power to the equipment open the back end of the pump and turn the impeller shaft to make sure its not seized. You may also want to grab a volt meter and check the fuses and check for resistance on the heater element.

Dan and Path. Good suggestions. Thanks. Now this may sound like a stupid one, BUT. I know I need to fill the tub up through the filter. However, I can't seem to get it open. Here is a picture:

Hot_Tub_004.jpg

There is a small gray tab on the left that pulls up slightly and I've tried turning the whole thing, but no luck. I am not familiar with this and don't want to force things and break something. So how the heck do you open this thing?

Dan and Path. Good suggestions. Thanks. Now this may sound like a stupid one, BUT. I know I need to fill the tub up through the filter. However, I can't seem to get it open. Here is a picture:

Hot_Tub_004.jpg

There is a small gray tab on the left that pulls up slightly and I've tried turning the whole thing, but no luck. I am not familiar with this and don't want to force things and break something. So how the heck do you open this thing?

Lift the tab and the entire outer ring turns counter clockwise. Many people will force the ring and break it, becasue they don't know that they need to replace the "o'ring". You can tighten it all you want but it still leaks if the o'ring is worn out. You will also need some Magic Lube on the o'ring to keep it alive longer and allow a better and easier seal. If you break the ring getting it off, it can be replaced for around 10 bucks.

This is what is known as a pressure filter. When you get a new filter element in it and a new oring and turn on the spa, you "bleed" the air out with the little knurled knob. As soon as water spits out close it. It may need a new o'ring as well, put Magic Lube on that too.

Oh, and here are some other pictures. Maybe they will help.

Hot_Tub_003.jpg

That is some convoluted plumbing with a lot of 90 degree turns. Normal is "pump pressure side eixts to the filter in then out to heater and on to the jets on a pressure filter system. It looks like that is the correct rotation, but I would prefer smoother turns. But the price is right. :D

Pathfinder. Well you weren't kidding about how hard that filter is to come off, but I finally got it off. I took Dans and your advice and started to fill the tub to check for leaks. Good thing I did. Water started pouring out of the right side of the heater element where there is a 2-piece ring AND (this is what worries me) the water side of the pump behinf the plate. I'm hoping that it's just the seals. I forgot to turn the slicer off before filling so the water wouldn't backflow through the pump. Did I just make a big mistake??? Please advise.

Thanks...Venom

Well. I got the pump out late last night and this is what I found. The leak at the right side of the heating tube is a 2-pc. o-ring that just wasn't tightened down enough. The rubber o-ring inside appears to be in good condition.

The leak at the pump turned out to be a cracked faceplate. Looks like whoever had the tub last leaft water in it over winter without proper insulation. New faceplate is $33.00 online. Better than I thought it would be.

2-311-2140.jpg

I have a question though: Is there supposed to be some kind of seal where this faceplate bolts onto the wet end of the pump?

Thanks...Venom