2004 Optima Gurgling Noise

Guest Tom

Just curious if anyone has found a way to tone down the loud sucking noise that comes from the large footwell/spa seat valve AND the valve that controls the flow to the other 3 corners. When these valve caps are removed the loud gruggleing / suction sound goes away. When I did my store test, it was not a problem as you could talk to people in the spa. In my spa I can't hear what other people are talking about above this noise. I usually set the valves and pop off the caps to get around this. I really like my spa, but this is a chronic pain and noisey. The owners book admits there is some noise generated by this, but what do they consider some noise? When I can't talk to people or hear them in my 8 person spa, what good is it? Anyone else had this or could resolve it? - THANKS

PS: I'm about ready to shoot some Great Stuff foam into the caps then carve them out, so it fits on the valve stems! These need some insulating.

Guest Guest_tony_*

I filled the cavities of the handles with clear silicone. It does a pretty good job. Sundance has new diverter valves in 2005 models that are much quieter and can be retrofitted to older models. I believe the cost is somewhere around $25.00, is a simple change that takes about ten minutes and can be done by the owner.

Aside from replumbing your spa - you can fill the caps and handles/levers with silicone or foam. This has helped. Also, laying your folded-up towell over the valve can help.

I sell one model which does this, and I have gotten good results from simply swapping in a new diverter core. I had a very upset customer, and I was skeptical when the factory told me to go swap in other diverters. But it worked great! In my case - HotSpring - the manufacturer will pay for the visit and the part. Can't promise for other makers.

Some of them fit better than others, and that can have a lot to do with the amount of racket they make, so ask your dealer to send a tech out with several. Or, if he won't do that - ask him to supply you with several, and swap them in yourself. Bring back the ones you don't need, or whatever.

Just a tidbit of free info: Caldera spas have a diverter valve with a very smooth water path - and I haven't heard a sound out of them - even on the spas with huge pumps moving tons of water. They also turn very smoothly even under power. Like other diverters, they will eventually need to be cleaned out, but they are top-loading, so even that is an easy, no-tools job. I think they might be from Waterway, in Oxnard, CA. I offer this for those DIY out there who might have the interest and ability to modify your spa. If you want more info, let me know.