Moving A Hot Tub?

Renee

Hi:

We just bought a hot tub (brand unknown, people are moving, its in great condition, 110v approximately 5 x 7) and need to move it in the next couple of days. Distance is approximately 150 feet from the back side of house to the front / car / driveway.

The question is, would it be best to find 4-5 guys? Or, hire guys from a hot tub company?

If local guys move it, what kind of trailer would be required? We own a 5 x 10' trailer with 2' rails. The tub wouldn't fit flat but we could stand it on its side. Is this safe and acceptable? And is any one side better for it to be placed upon?

Sorry if this is a repeat question and it has been dealt with many times already.

Any information or pointing toward the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Renee

Hi:

We just bought a hot tub (brand unknown, people are moving, its in great condition, 110v approximately 5 x 7) and need to move it in the next couple of days. Distance is approximately 150 feet from the back side of house to the front / car / driveway.

The question is, would it be best to find 4-5 guys? Or, hire guys from a hot tub company?

If local guys move it, what kind of trailer would be required? We own a 5 x 10' trailer with 2' rails. The tub wouldn't fit flat but we could stand it on its side. Is this safe and acceptable? And is any one side better for it to be placed upon?

Sorry if this is a repeat question and it has been dealt with many times already.

Any information or pointing toward the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Renee

We just bought a used Marquis Epic. It is about an hour away, we are going to let a Spa moving company handle the move. I made the appointment today they quoted me $275-$300. I'll handle the electrical hook up and site prep, but trying to get 3-4 guys to do the heavy lifting is to much of a pain.

I'm a DIY kind-of-guy, yet I subbed out moving my tub from the driveway to my location on the patio. My tub came with "curbside" delivery only and it was my responsibility to have it moved to its final location. I'm sure I could have moved it with a few friends, however, the convenience of having someone do it for me outweighed the small cost I had to pay.

I made a side-deal with the delivery company to have the spa moved for $100.

Your situation is a bit different. You need a spa moved from its current location to a driveway, then it needs to be driven to its new home, and finally, moved again from your driveway to where it will be.

You can transport a spa on its side. Typically, the spa is transported with its control panel at the bottom. Once you get it to its destination driveway, there are several ways to transport it.

You can roll it along 2inch PVC piping or use a furniture dolly. If using a dolly, you might want to lay some plywood down if the spa has to be transported across a lawn. Furniture dollys will sink into your lawn.

Professional spa movers may use a spa kart like this:

img1984ix4.jpg

If you DIY, take photos and report back your experience.

Good luck.

Ken

I bought my tub used, and I paid to have professionals move it. I'm sure you could move it on your own, but it's bulky and ackward to handle. The professionals have the proper equipment, and can do it quickly, with no damage. If you do it yourself, you risk damaging your new toy before you even get it home. IMO its worth the cost for professional movers.

Me and five neighbors just picked the thing up and set it on a snowmobile trailer, then picked it up again and carried it up the hill and slid it on the deck.

No big deal. The only hard part was rounding up the neighbors. T'was like herding cats.

Herding cats.... That's funny!!!!

When we got ours, we traveled 90 miles to buy a 05 Optima for 2500.00. Which has a dry weight of almost 1000 lbs. We used a car trailer and cut 4 foot sections of 3" pvc pipe. To remove it from the trailer I paid a local builder $50.00 to use him and and his extendable forklift. It was picked up and placed on the platform of pea gravel and sand in less than 5 minutes. B)