Vita Spas

medic

Hello all,

I am truely sorry that my first post here has to be bad and I will try to keep it as short as possible, but I feel that any potential buyer needs to know what I am currently going through.

I purchased a 2004 Vita Cabaret in 8/04. For the first two years, the tub was great. Then, I started having issues with the tub which were all under warranty. In the middle of having repairs done, my dealer went belly up and nothing was fixed. (Radio, secondary control board) This last May, the circulation pump started making noise and I was due to change the water in the tub, so I drained it only to find more than 50 blisters in the acrylic. Up till now, I had been unable to find a Vita dealer anywhere close to me and just dealt with the initial issues. Once I discovered the blisters, I contacted Vita (DM Industries) directly about all the issues I have with the tub, and lack of dealer support. I started dealing with their tech support who initially said everything would be taken care of. Numerous phone calls later (about 6 weeks worth) Vita sent a dealer from quite a distance away to look at my tub. This cost just under $200 for "drive time" and the dealer took one look at the tub (blisters) and said he was going to recommend to Vita to replace the tub since he had never seen so many blisters in the acrylic. About two weeks later I contacted Vita's tech support after not hearing from them and they stated that my tub would be replaced. This was in July. I was promised a tub in about 2 weeks. Well, that two weeks turned into about 14 weeks after numerous excuses why the tub couldn't be built. Two weeks ago I called Vita again and they said the tub was done but that it was going to cost me $3500.00 for "upgrades" to this new tub. (circuitry) I stated this was unacceptable and that no where does my warranty state that I would have to pay for "upgrades". Last week I spoke with Vita again and they stated that my tub was being shipped to the dealer that looked at my broken tub and nothing more was said about the $3500.00. Yesterday, the dealer called and said that the tub was in but there is a $3500.00 charge that they were billed to their account. They said that if I don't want the tub, they'll sell it. Vita says this is the deal and that's that. I have until Monday to let the dealer know what I want to do.

I am so upset I could spit nails!! The girl from the dealership said "But you're getting a $10,000.00 tub for $3500.00" Sure, but I already paid $8000.00 for this broke POS so it's actually costing me $11,500.00 for a $10,000.00 tub!!

Any suggestions on what to do?? I am at a loss.. It's not like I can just go drop $3500 without a blink. I am at a complete loss at this point but I wanted to let anyone looking at Vita Spas what kind of help they will get from them.

Thank you for letting me vent.

Bill Brock

Vita Spas and hottubs product Warranty

Owning a Vita Spa is not only soothing, but also very smart. That’s because Vita Spas are not just an ordinary purchase, but an investment. An investment in your well-being and that of your family. An investment that will provide endless enjoyment and many happy returns. For many years to come. We guarantee it.

Limited Warranty:

VITA International extends this limited warranty solely to the original purchaser of any L700C or LC500 Series Vita Spa self-contained spa installed within the United States or Canada.

LIFETIME STRUCTURAL SPA SHELL:

Vita International warrants its shells against loss of water due to defects in materials and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the spa.

10 YEARS SURFACE:

The acrylic surface is warranted against blistering, cracking and chipping resulting from a defect in the acrylic surface material for a period of ten (10) years from the original date of purchase.

5 YEAR COMPONENT WARRANTY:

Vita International warrants all factory installed electrical components (other than ozonators and optional accessories - (see FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS) – pumps, blowers, heater and control system – and plumbing components – jets, air injectors, glued joints, pipes and hoses – to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of five (5) years from the original date of purchase.

Filter cartridges, light lenses, light bulbs, (see separate bulb warranty for fiberoptic lamps), fuses, and headrests, are not covered under this warranty but are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship at the time of the original delivery.

Spa covers, cover lifts, and dealer added options are excluded from this warranty and are covered under separate warranties from their respective manufacturers.

2 YEAR CABINET WARRANTY:

The cabinetry is warranted to maintain its structural integrity for a period of two (2) years from the original date of purchase.

“WORRY-FREE” HEATER ELEMENT:

The element in your L700 Spa is protected by a special isolation coating that takes the worry out of maintaining water chemistry (pH). Please Note: Whereas Vita’s “Worry Free” element gives added protection against corrosion, improperly balanced (pH) may effect other components of the spa, or may cause harmful skin irritation. Preventive maintenance is suggested.

FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS:

Fiberoptic lighting systems, installed at the time of manufacture, shall be warranted to be free of any manufacturing defects for one (1) year for all components other than lamps and fuses. Lamps and fuses are warranted to be free of any manufacturing defects for the initial 90 days from the original date of purchase.

Stereo systems, installed at the time of manufacture, are warranted to be free of any manufacturing defects for a period of one (1) year. There will be no charge for in-home service labor on factory installed options during the first 90 days.

WARRANTY PERFORMANCE:

In the event of a defect covered by this warranty, notify your VITA SPA dealer within 10 days of the time the defect is discovered. Upon proof of purchase by dated purchase receipt, Vita International or its authorized representative will correct the defect within the terms and conditions contained in this warranty. There will be no charge for in-home service labor during the first five years. You may be assessed reasonable repairperson travel charges. Vita International, at its sole option, may elect to substitute a spa or component of equal value, either new or reconditioned, to correct a defect. Such replacement shall assume, as its warranty, the remaining portion of the warranty on the original product. If the entire spa needs to be substituted because the repair is not feasible or the repair can not be performed in the field, reasonable costs to pick up the defective spa and return it or delivering and installing the replacement spa will be the responsibility of the spa owner.

It sounds to me like a simple case of not honoring their own warranty. I don't see anything that says the consumer is responsible for covering upgrade costs.

Contact a lawyer ASAP. Good luck with getting this resolved.

Terminator

Hi medic. I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Is Vita spa a member of the BBB? If so, you might be able to use them to mediate the problem. I'm new to the spa world, what causes blisters? Is vita rebuilding your tub or just giving you a whole new one? Could you explain exactly what they are they referring to as upgrades? It's interesting that their warranty states a spa of equal value.....not greater value! If it's a spa of equal value, you shouldn't have to pay the $3,500. I think it's bad enough you have to pay to return the old spa and get a new one delivered.

Hi medic. I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Is Vita spa a member of the BBB? If so, you might be able to use them to mediate the problem. I'm new to the spa world, what causes blisters? Is vita rebuilding your tub or just giving you a whole new one? Could you explain exactly what they are they referring to as upgrades? It's interesting that their warranty states a spa of equal value.....not greater value! If it's a spa of equal value, you shouldn't have to pay the $3,500. I think it's bad enough you have to pay to return the old spa and get a new one delivered.

I believe that blisters are caused by the mold not being cleaned and prepped properly prior to building the tub. Vita has not said anything about wanting the old tub. They just built the new one and shipped it out with a $3500 bill. I'm not sure if they are a member of the BBB or not. I'm not sure how to find out but I'll be looking into that. The only "upgrade" they stated was to the computer circuitry controlling the tub. Otherwise, it will be exactly the same. Also, the dealer hasn't even mentioned the option of having the new one delivered. Their quote was " Let us know if/when you are picking the spa up so we can have a forklift on hand." So it looks like if I do decide to go with the new one, I have to figure out a way to pick it up.This dealer isn't too excited to help me out since I didn't buy my first tub from them. This is why I'm at such a loss at what to do.

Go to bbb.org. Follow the consumer link to check into a company. They are listed as DM industries LTD in Miami Florida. There you will find contact info. for the company as well as a link to file your complaint. Unfortunately, they have a grade of F with the BBB. They have resolved some complaints by performing according to their contract. Other times, they have failed to the respond to the BBB. If you haven't already spoken to the director of the co., it has his name and number. I know you are very upset. If you can, try to act as calm and rational as possible when talking to him. Maybe mention that you participate in an online forum, frequented by people looking to buy a new spa. Tell him you'd love to be able to recommend their products and tell people how well they've treated you. You can usually catch more flies with honey. Good Luck!

Go to bbb.org. Follow the consumer link to check into a company. They are listed as DM industries LTD in Miami Florida. There you will find contact info. for the company as well as a link to file your complaint. Unfortunately, they have a grade of F with the BBB. They have resolved some complaints by performing according to their contract. Other times, they have failed to the respond to the BBB. If you haven't already spoken to the director of the co., it has his name and number. I know you are very upset. If you can, try to act as calm and rational as possible when talking to him. Maybe mention that you participate in an online forum, frequented by people looking to buy a new spa. Tell him you'd love to be able to recommend their products and tell people how well they've treated you. You can usually catch more flies with honey. Good Luck!

Well, I just checked the BBB website and found out that the director is Rod Downs. I have already left numerous voicemails for him not knowing who he was, just on the aspect of the dealer giving me his name when tech support was giving me the run around. He would never return my calls. I guess another all to him will be a waste of time but I'll give it a shot. The report to the BBB will be sent shortly.

Before you contact the director of the company, have a resolution in mind. What would it take to satisfy you? The new tub delivered and set up at your home free of charge? The new tub delivered free of charge at the dealer, with you paying delivery and set up? All of your money back? The price you paid back, minus two years of depreciation?

Have a few scenarios in mind that would work for you, and also allow the company to save face. Never underestimate the amount of pressure the other guy is facing. He needs to run his company, and keep everything afloat. So try and offer him a way out that won't cost him too much money. Also, try not to get upset and start yelling at him. If he feels that you are attacking him personally, or if he feels that you are asking for too much, he may refuse to offer you anything.

Lastly, if all else fails, take them to court.

Good luck with this, it sounds like you're in a tough situation.

where do you live? I am forwarding this thread to the national sales manager for vita and I can call your rep too. I hate to hear about things like this and hate to see a black eye on my industry because of service like this so I will be happy to help. I know alot of the Vita staff and might beable to help that way.

TSG,

I live in central Michigan. I assume you are affiliated with Vita?

Medic, I would like to offer an unorthodox approach to getting the attention of Vita's executives and a possible solution to your dilemma. If you have a video camera make a short film of the tub showing all the problems you listed here as well as the warranty and post this video on "You Tube". I saw a similar situation on TV where a consumer did that with another product (a laptop computer). He showed the problems he was having on that website and was eventually contacted by the manufacturer with an offer of a brand new computer. I know some on here may find this approach as a stretch but what do you have to loose. This forum is only a very small fraction compared to a site like "You Tube" with millions world wide users. Bad news always seem to travel faster then good. ;) I wish you luck and hope your back in hot water ASAP. B)

Medic, I would like to offer an unorthodox approach to getting the attention of Vita's executives and a possible solution to your dilemma. If you have a video camera make a short film of the tub showing all the problems you listed here as well as the warranty and post this video on "You Tube". I saw a similar situation on TV where a consumer did that with another product (a laptop computer). He showed the problems he was having on that website and was eventually contacted by the manufacturer with an offer of a brand new computer. I know some on here may find this approach as a stretch but what do you have to loose. This forum is only a very small fraction compared to a site like "You Tube" with millions world wide users. Bad news always seem to travel faster then good. ;) I wish you luck and hope your back in hot water ASAP. B)

Biggz,

That's not a bad idea.. I'm getting really sick of trying to be diplomatic about this. I kind of understand why the dealer that I've had contact with doesn't want to take sides. They have been around over 20 yrs and I'm sure they have a strong tie with Vita. It's just a bunch of hooey that no one at the corperation seems to give a ... they got my initial $8k for the tub and thats all that seems to matter.

I saw that biggz. Good idea. Another option is to stand near the dealer that sells vita spas(not on their property) with a sign warning potential customers about the problems you are having. I've seen people do that on the news and it worked. With this weather, what vita dealer wants their customers to see that on the way into their store. Maybe a big sign that says "Vita does not stand behind their product-ask me for more info".

Thank you, Tinybubbles!! The complaint has been sent to the BBB and I have an attorney that specializes in this sort of thing reviewing everything right now. I expect to hear from her either today or Monday. I have a feeling this is going to get really ugly...

TSG,

nope, just someone who doesnt like to see customers not get taken care of because those types of stories stop people from buying spas in the first place. I know alot of people, I actually personally know the regional rep in your area and e-mailed the national sales manager this thread last night. I am hoping they take care of you before you have to escalate this further.

You wernt allowing the spa to sit in the sun with no cover were you?

TSG,

nope, just someone who doesnt like to see customers not get taken care of because those types of stories stop people from buying spas in the first place. I know alot of people, I actually personally know the regional rep in your area and e-mailed the national sales manager this thread last night. I am hoping they take care of you before you have to escalate this further.

You wernt allowing the spa to sit in the sun with no cover were you?

I truely appreciate the help TSG... The spa has never sat in the sun uncovered. The chemicals were always kept on track and the water changed/ filters cleaned religiously. We really loved this spa and used it every day up until everything went south.

Thanks again for your help,

Bill

Went into Vita today....they are all over here in Florida, all Factory outlets because they are located here. I casually asked.... (I had your previous posts with me) "Have there been problems in the past with Vita I should know about??" Right away he told me the story about how about 2-3 years ago he had to replace at least 20 spas because of blistering issues. The company they were getting the acrylic from changed the formula and did not let them know, so their bonding agents didn't work well with it. They have since changed. He was very clear that he had so many problems, but of course, being a dealer, he said he replaced them all.

They are so far my favorite spa among D1, Hot Springs, Caldera, Dynasty, Jacuzzi, & Tiger River, but your issues scare me. They are just the only hot tub company that has more than one local branch besides rec warehouse, and that gives me extra confidence. (There are 3 within 20 minutes of me, 7 within an hour)

Besides your issues, do you like the spa?

I would have bought already from them if not for your posts if that makes you feel any better. At least you may be hurting them in their pocketbook a little!

Just spoke to another Vita dealer. He said the problem was with 2004 tubs with almond pearl inside. He said 2-3 were able to be fixed, the rest were replaced.

Wow...That's nice to know. I wonder if they charged everyone else $3500 to pad their warranty issues. I will say that for the first 2 1/2 yrs, I liked my spa very much. It was used every day for theraputic issues and it helped immensely. Then everything went south and I wouldn't have so much of an issue if the company wasn't trying to charge me $3500.00 for a replacement tub. It's not my fault they used bad acrylic, and I certainly don't feel that I should have to cover the cost of building a new tub with the charge being hidden under the description of "Circuitry upgrades". Pretty bad customer service if you ask me.

Good luck with whatever tub you choose. I don't believe I would buy another Vita just due to the way I have been treated by the CORPORATION (not a dealership!!) over my issues with their faulty product.

I was thanked by the people who work for vita I had sent this too because they had not heard of this issue...I am assuming they have helped?? Are things looking better or no? I was told later by the rep the 3500 came from them having a LOADED spa instock, including led, stereo, a 3rd jet pump ect ect ect that yours didnt have...but was told if you took same spa you had they would replace it...just an outsider hoping they have made you happy

I was thanked by the people who work for vita I had sent this too because they had not heard of this issue...I am assuming they have helped?? Are things looking better or no? I was told later by the rep the 3500 came from them having a LOADED spa instock, including led, stereo, a 3rd jet pump ect ect ect that yours didnt have...but was told if you took same spa you had they would replace it...just an outsider hoping they have made you happy

Well, talk about bad luck. After much research on this forum, listening to those that warned us of all the issues we would have, we decided not to purchase a spa from Costco.

We thought we were lucky to find a used Vita Rendezvous at a local Vita dealer. They claimed the 2005 tub that was "the owners' tub" and he was just upgrading, the only reason he was selling the spa (ya right). If this blister issue (we only have 4-5 smaller blisters) is not just isolated to the 2004s?? Unfortunately we have the almond pearl acrylic tub

See the full description here: http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...21&hl=tsand

Unfortunately it wouldn't matter, since Vita Spas warranties are not transferable.

We have only a 1 year warranty from the dealer and we are emptying the tub for the first time next week, so if we have more blisters, we may be in some unpleasant hot water with this spa.

Wish we would have known about this issue, we would have never bought the Vita. Several people on this site spoke very highly of Vita. At this rate, Costco's return policy is looking better everyday. Looks like dealing with dealers and paying their high prices doesn't protect consumers in Vita's case.

Wish us better luck!

Thanks Tsand

Well, talk about bad luck. After much research on this forum, listening to those that warned us of all the issues we would have, we decided not to purchase a spa from Costco.

We thought we were lucky to find a used Vita Rendezvous at a local Vita dealer. They claimed the 2005 tub that was "the owners' tub" and he was just upgrading, the only reason he was selling the spa (ya right). If this blister issue (we only have 4-5 smaller blisters) is not just isolated to the 2004s?? Unfortunately we have the almond pearl acrylic tub

See the full description here: http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...21&hl=tsand

Unfortunately it wouldn't matter, since Vita Spas warranties are not transferable.

We have only a 1 year warranty from the dealer and we are emptying the tub for the first time next week, so if we have more blisters, we may be in some unpleasant hot water with this spa.

Wish we would have known about this issue, we would have never bought the Vita. Several people on this site spoke very highly of Vita. At this rate, Costco's return policy is looking better everyday. Looks like dealing with dealers and paying their high prices doesn't protect consumers in Vita's case.

Wish us better luck!

Thanks Tsand

You where told about the blems before you bought it. members here told you to look out for that kind of stuff(looks bad) (id be worried about the blisters). you bought a bad tub at a very deep discount and want us to feel bad for you.

Its not going to happen.