Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'balance'.
We've had a small spa (900 litre) for about 5 weeks. We filled it with collected rainwater off a relatively new & clean roof (<6months old), and was told to treat it initially with 3 teaspoons of pH/alkalinity up and 3 teaspoons of chlorine granules, then a teaspoon or two of chlorine thereafter after each use. The pool has a silver-ion cartridge but no ozonator. A couple of weeks in, the pool quickly developed a slightly green tinge, got very foamy, and I upped the chlorine dose. If I measure the chlorine with a test strip an hour after putting it in, the strip says the chlorine level is excessive. If I measure it a day after, it says there is essentially no chlorine present. We use the spa regularly, but even when we don't, the chlorine level plummets, and the foaminess increases. The tinge now is less green than a little cloudy. It feels like there is a dead animal or something in the plumbing. I'm suspicious that this is not a new pool, but some reject that someone else has returned to the manufacturer a time or two - it feels beyond normal expectations to me. I shocked the spa with an MPS shock the other day, and then the readings went completely nuts. So I had the water tested. The results were: Free Chlorine: 0.62ppm Combined Chlorine: 0.61ppm pH: 6.9 Hardness: 0ppm Alkalinity: 159ppm Cyanuric Acid 126ppm I'm shocked at these results occurring within 5 weeks. We're in a drought with water restrictions, so I'm reluctant to dump the water and start again. Should I be treating the water? Should I be taking it back to the manufacturer? I'm too new to this to know what the right thing to do is.
Good evening, I'm having a major problem with my free chlorine and wanted to come here before I give up and drain the thing. I've had this hot tub for about 2 months now and I was able to easily get my water chemistry all set. History: I am using the Frog system which is built into my hot springs. I tossed in some chlorine before taking a week vacation last week and now I'm home but can't seem to level it out. I noticed that Frog had emptied at some point during vacation and there was a slight BO smell to the water, but was clear and I did not see any buildup on the walls. I first noticed that my pH and alkalinity were extremely low. So I successfully brought those up to the proper values. My current Frog is empty for the Chlorine part, so I have more on order and have been supplementing with DiChlor. 2 nights ago I did a shock treatment to get my values set before taking a dip and noticed that my FC was 0. So I added a batch of dichlor and called it a night. I also soaked my filter in a solution overnight and made sure I rinsed it well before re-installing the next day. Last night, I went to take a dip and again, noticed the FC tanked to 0. This time, I did a super Chlor and brought the FC value up to 10ppm. Tonight, I came back for a dip and again, the FC was 0. My Total Chlorine is about 3ppm, Alkalinity is around 100, pH appears to be about 7.4, and hardness is around 250. What the heck is going on? I just did a super super chlorinate and brought my FC up to 20ppm and my TC was over the scale. Anyone experience this? I failed chemistry twice in college, but I'm excellent at following directions. My spa was purchased brand new, is a Hot Springs Relay, holds 345 gallons, and I keep it around 103 degrees. What can I do to fix this chemistry without draining, or is a drain the only way? Also, maybe a newb question, but what can I do to prevent this from happening again? Do I need to shock or chlorinate after each use? My current routine right now is check chemistry every few days since I think I can trust the Frog system, and before vacation, that was working well. Every few times I'd use the tub I'd toss in a shock treatment about 20 minutes before getting in.
Hello, I'm a fairly new hot-tub owner, and have found tons of valuable resources on this forum. Now that I have a slightly complicated question, this was quickly my first-choice to seek guidance My tub is 425 gallons (Alps Spas Q-90), last cleaned and refilled on 1/22/17 (sodium bromide + floater + MPS), consistently tested with a Taylor K-2106 kit, and set to 102F. Problem is my measurements today have me really scratching my head. TA dropped, and my CH plummeted. I've been busy so the tub's only seeing 1 or 2 bather-hours a week lately. Here's the last few measurement entries in my logbook: 2/11/17: pH=7.3, TA=120, CH=100, SI=-0.3, TB=0.5 2/12/17: pH=7.6, TA=130, CH=100, SI=0.1, TB=5 2/16/17: pH=7.6, TA=130, CH=90, SI=0.1, TB=4.5 2/20/17: pH=7.4, TA=90, CH=40, SI=-0.7, TB=5 Should I be worried that CH and TA tanked? I know bromine is acidic, which can lower pH and TA over time, but I've never seen my calcium dive like that. Also, I did add Leisure Time "pH Balance" during this last refill, which says "Note: due to the unique buffering capacity of Leisure Time pH Balance, it is not necessary to adjust the calcium hardness level in your spa". Was that a mistake? Could it be interfering somehow? Thanks in advance!