Jump to content

SwimminginCanada

Members
  • Content Count

    3
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About SwimminginCanada

  • Rank
    Newbie
  1. Thanks will try the skimmer sick or pantyhose trick tonight Water looked ok this morning, and judging by the test strip bromine loss seemed minimal overnight. Will check again tonight.
  2. Some updated info - when I arrived home from work last night there was some of the same gunk in the bottom of the swim spa, but not as much as a day a go - I siphoned it out, brushed the walls, and added enough bleach to get free bromine up to 5 (it had fallen to zero in the sun all day) - I also put most of the sections of the hard cover on as we are expecting a storm here today - this morning, there was a lot less of the gunk in the bottom....makes me wonder if perhaps it's just pollen I am dealing with as the cover being partly on may have shielded the water from falling microscopic debris - on the other hand, my bromine reading went from 5 to about 2 overnight...I say about because I am stuck with test strips at the moment and I can only make a best estimate based on colours on the stick. So as I've steadied my bromine level I have seen less gunk, but hard to say if the cover contributed to that (pollen) or the higher sanitizer level has inhibited algae growth for the moment. I am going to do another bromine loss test today as the cover is now fully on ahead of the rain so there is no sunlight getting to the water. I added enough bleach this morning to drive bromine up to about 10. Will see how it looks tonight.
  3. Firstly, thank you to everyone who shares their knowledge here. I have spent hours reading posts over the last few weeks and it's been a great education for me. I have a 17ft swim spa, so it's bigger than a hot tub but smaller than a pool. Volume is about 2000 gallons. Bromine system with a chlorine generator. Bought it last August. Lots of fun, no major issues. From my reading here I have learned a few things that demonstrate how bad the advice was from the pool store after installation..live and learn... - my FC levels have always been low (1 or lower). The advice of "check it once a week" with a test strip is clearly not enough for a bromine swim spa that is in the sun. Whatever FC is generated from adding oxidizer burns off that day. Weekly checks leave many days where FC was probably very low. - the generator is a nice idea but it really can't keep up with both bather load and sunlight combined. - I have since switched to using Clorox as my oxidizer , putting it in basically every night, using the pool calculator to target an FC level of 5. Hit it over the last couple of days so I am getting a feel for that. The water was slightly cloudy before I moved to Clorox, it's clearer now. The possible algae... - I started seeing what looked like small globs of dirt on the bottom of the spa last week, a week or so after a pool party the kids had (heavy bather load) - tried cleaning the filter etc but it persisted - created a basic siphon using tubing from the local hardware store..it tends to break up very quickly into a wispy sort of cloud but was able to get most of it out...but it returned overnight each time. - pool water is otherwise clear, easy to see the bottom, crystal clear when you go under water with googles on. So... - because I learned my lesson too late and low FC levels have occurred, plus 4 kids using it a number of times on top of regular bather load, I have to think Algae is a real possibility. - given I have a bromine spa I think I have two options 1- shock using instructions I have found in these forums. I would plan to add enough bleach to take FC over 10 and watch for overnight loss. I have a test kit on the way, they are not as easy to find in Canada. Question- given I have a bromine spa, any alterations to the usual a shock instructions I need to know? 2- I could dump the water. Since it's essentially a big spa and not a pool, a water change is an option. But...if it is algae a simple water dump won't solve the problem I would still need to shock I would think, so I am not sure this option gets me very far. I am open to other thoughts and input. I kick myself for not getting educated sooner but I believed the idea that I had a "self cleaning" spa and did not pay enough attention to water chemistry., plus the guidelines I were given really seem woefully inadequate given all that I have learned on these forums. I have found the learning here very beneficial, it's more than I have ever learned from the pool store folks, and I am moving towards using the simple products outlined in the BBB method to manage my water. Thanks all, advice appreciated
×
×
  • Create New...