Mps Allergy - Hot Tub Water Chemistry - Pool and Spa Forum

Jump to content


(July 17, 2014) POOLSPAFORUM.COM SITE UPGRADE!


Photo

Mps Allergy

mps allergy

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 theoabear

theoabear

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

My dermatologist confirmed my skin allergy to MPS. I was the only one in my family to experience the large red bumps on arms and legs. The tub (400 gal.) was drained - filter cleaned with Aqua-EZ (great product - removes iron and clarifies water instantly!) - and tub then refilled using Dichlor only and new mineral cartridge.

 

It worked - no more bumps.  Here's the issue - my son put in 2 tbls of the old shock cleaner with MPS the other night after he left (yes, I should have thrown it away). Took a tub last night - the bumps reappeared this morning - I asked him what he added and he confirmed it was the older bottle of shock.  So - my question is - will just a few tbls. of MPS wear out if I leave it for a few days? If I add more dichlor will that burn it off?  Or - do I need to drain and refill tub again?  Thx in advance!



#2 john44111

john44111

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

Interesting.. I am having what I beleive is a similar problem.

 

Not MPS mind you but PPMS (potassium peroxymetasulfite) Natures Way brand of shock. Which isnt MPS, I thought it was until I read the bottle. Seems "non chlorine shock" is more than just MPS. (Monopersulfate) in my case it was PPMS. (Potassium Peroxypersulfate)

 

I wonder if I ALSO would have an allergy to MPS. Originally it was suggested here that I might have focculitis but it is "good" to hear others who have a itchy rash that isnt pimples. I've had my water tested now twice. They both said "You are good"

 

Dunno. I might have to get to the doctor as well I am itchy right now in quite a few places.

 

The my thread is here, you might see if there is some similarities but it sounds like we are using different chemicals. 

 

http://www.poolspafo...showtopic=44325

 

Ive got bumps.. but not red (unless they are the ones that I scratched raw)

 

I went in yesterday for 15 minutes in the morning and about an hour last night.. this morning.. woke up 4am.. with itching and a little bit of burning as well.



#3 chem geek

chem geek

    Wizard of Water

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

The MPS will get used up if there are things in the tub to oxidize.  So it will last longer in a clean tub.  It doesn't outgas like chlorine so if the water is clean it could last a while.  You could always add some hydrogen peroxide to the tub to get rid of it and then add chlorine until you get an FC reading again.

 

As for the Nature's Way shock product PPMS, are you sure that is potassium peroxymetasulfite?  They might mean potassium persulfate aka potassium peroxydisulfate which is the known minor contaminant in MPS products that is usually the one most irritating to the skin.  It's a bit surprising that this product is used since it's more of a known irritant than MPS and if one could get pure MPS with this minor contaminant then it might not be so irritating to some. 



#4 john44111

john44111

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

check it out

 

CrIgQKx.jpg

 

 

I am ITCHY as hell right now.. :)

 

hoping this stuff dissappates..

 

we are switching to chlorine and bleach.. I picked up plain clorox at Home Depot on the way home. We have to figure out THAT system now.

 

 

I was just thinking.

 

oh no.. I have sticks that test MPS.. but.. if i was using THIS.. I wasnt adding MPS.. I was adding PPMS..

 

 

ugh... no WONDER I am burning.. people put 1-2 tsp per person.. my wife was using 4-6 TSP..



#5 chem geek

chem geek

    Wizard of Water

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

That says "Potassium Peroxymonosulfate", NOT peroxymetasulfite or peroxypersulfate as you had indicated before.  Peroxymonosulfate is a synonym for Monopersulfate so IS THE SAME AS MPS.



#6 waterbear

waterbear

    Village Idiot ;)

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

YEP, PPMS is the same as PMPS which sometimes is written as KMPS or KPMS since K is the chemical symbol for potassium.It usually just called MPS in the trade.  It's all just alphabet soup for the same stuff.

Bottom line, it's a known irritant and sensitizer so if you are having a reaction then switch to either 3 step bromine using bleach as your oxidizer or to the dichlor/bleach method of chlorine. Bromine itself can be a minor sensitizer to some people but it is rare and most problems with bromine tubs are really from the MPS that is commonly used as an oxidizer in them.


I've tested more water than I ever care to think about!
Board Moderator

#7 john44111

john44111

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

good show.. about to make the switch.. We got the print out of how to do it.. My itching is going away.. I am about 20% as itchy as i was yesterday.

 

sadly it snowed last night.. and was snowing this morning and i couldnt go in the tub :(

 

soon however







Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mps, allergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

website security