(April 12, 2014) POOLSPAFORUM.COM SITE UPGRADE!

Photo

How To Add Stabilizer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mattyssox

Mattyssox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

Hello,

I opened up my pool last week. After a few days its still cloudy. The local store sold me 2lbs of stabilizer to put in the pool to help keep my chlorine levels up, as my reading was 0 (as opposed to 30-50ppm). Two questions:

-My pool is 20 by 40 feet, so about 32,000-35,000 gallons. Is 2lbs enough?

-How do you put in stabilizer? I read that you can put it in a pillow case or you can put it in the skimmer? which is most effective?

#2 txpoolguy

txpoolguy

Hot Tub Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

Read the bottle/bag that the stabilizer comes in to find out how much you need to add for that gallonage and also for recommendations on application. 2lbs. sounds light to me for 30k gallons, but the container should tell you for sure. The stabilizer dissolves slowly, but a common practice has been to add it slowly into the skimmer, then it will dissolve slowly from inside the filter. This may not be a good practice, depending on which filter you have.

#3 Mattyssox

Mattyssox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

I have a sand filter. Does this still make sense to add to the skimmer?

#4 Mattyssox

Mattyssox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

Another note is that I use chlorine tabs (hockey pucks) in a floating dispenser. So I"m not sure if this affects how much stabilizer I should use.

#5 polyvue

polyvue

Hot Tub Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

Another note is that I use chlorine tabs (hockey pucks) in a floating dispenser. So I"m not sure if this affects how much stabilizer I should use.

It sure does. I wouldn't add any more stabilizer until you test the CYA (cyanuric acid) level of the water yourself with a good test kit (e.g. Taylor K-2006). If the chlorine tabs contain DiChlor or TriChlor, they will contribute substantial amounts of stabilizer (CYA) while they are chlorinating the pool. Lots of pool owners experience algae problems because the excessive CYA (> 80 PPM) combines with chlorine in the water, requiring higher and higher levels of Free Chlorine to be effective at algae control -- see this chart.

If you determine that you need to add stablizer, you can use this Pool Calculator to indicate quantity and see how this will affect your water before actually adding the chemical.
~14,000 gallon in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa Aug 2007; Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main and 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Polaris 280 cleaner; Hayward Swimclear cartridge filter C4025; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Hayward ColorLogic LED lights

Test Your Water, Then Treat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

website security