(April 12, 2014) POOLSPAFORUM.COM SITE UPGRADE!

Photo

Worms In Pool

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Skidood

Skidood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

Hi there...my inground pool had a lot of good-sized worms in it when we bought the house last fall, and I think I see more this spring. Where the heck are the worms coming from? The pool does not leak, has a concrete deck area, seems strange to me.

#2 Gabe's Dallas Pool Service

Gabe's Dallas Pool Service

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

Attack of the worms! They seem to crawl out of the ground when the ground is saturated with water. Only problem is they tend to fall in the pool and die leaving a stain on white plaster. I remember cleaning some swimming pools here in Dallas and when I was done there was a pump basket full of worms from vacuuming that looked like raw hamburger meat.

Some shock will usually take the stains off from dead worms that have been laying on the bottom. Its good to pre-dissolve the shock in a bucket and then add it to the pool.
Gabe Ullmann

#3 brettnolan

brettnolan

Spa Savant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

Unfortunately you can't worm (or snake, bug, frog, etc.) -proof an inground pool. Nasty! But unavoidable.

#4 jkusmier

jkusmier

Spa Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

Get used to it! Walk outside after a heavy rain - you'll see worms all over your pool deck - and every driveway and sidewalk in your neighborhood/subdivision, as well. I have a safety (mesh) cover but expect they can infiltrate a solid cover, as well. When I peeled the cover back last spring, the water was clear enough to see a multitude of dead earthworms on the bottom. The stains should are primarily organic, and should disappear faster than stains caused by, e.g. leaves (tannins), and should disappear within a few days after opening.

#5 swimventure

swimventure

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

Yeaahhh...... You should use some liquid cleaner or a net when you are not using the pool. And try to change pool water as soon as possible.

#6 jkusmier

jkusmier

Spa Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

I respectfully disagree. Shock and some brushing should do the job on an organic stain - and there's no need to change the pool water. Let us know whether they disappear in the near term.

#7 geeman

geeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

sprinkling some DE around the perimeter of your pool deck will keep worms from getting to the pool. they don't like the DE. it scratches and kills them. poor worms.

#8 polyvue

polyvue

Hot Tub Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:11 PM

sprinkling some DE around the perimeter of your pool deck will keep worms from getting to the pool. they don't like the DE. it scratches and kills them. poor worms.

Sounds like a plan... but I wonder what happens to that DE when you hose down the deck? In my yard it would go to the street drain (connects directly to river inlet) -- against regulations in this area. (Northern California)
~14,000 gallon in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa Aug 2007; Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main and 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Polaris 280 cleaner; Hayward Swimclear cartridge filter C4025; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Hayward ColorLogic LED lights

Test Your Water, Then Treat

#9 ny poolguy

ny poolguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

I've always heard it kill grubs. Guess it could cut up worms too or any bug that crosses over some D.E.

#10 SHARKBAIT

SHARKBAIT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

This should solve your problem?
Posted Image

#11 txpoolguy

txpoolguy

Hot Tub Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

DE can help, but it's not the same DE that you use in your filter. Diatomaceous earth,in an unrefined state, is available at many nurseries, home & garden centers and does make a good pesticide for fleas, ticks, and many other insects, but is not the same as the DE you use in your filter. It may well work on the worms as well. It's a natural substance & has no negative effect on the environment. Chickens, or "yard birds" work well also. You can also keep the worms for catching the lovely bass in the pics above.

#12 RCKenpo

RCKenpo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:51 AM

Try crushed sea shells around edge of decking, worms won't cross it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

website security