Comments On The Subject Of Chlorine As A Sanitizer......

bart6453

So here is my story......

I bought a tub in early spring, I set it up and began using it....using Nitro's and Chem Geeks suggestions for water balance.

I of course used chlorine and kept everthing in balance....the tub was working wonderful!

Suddenly....I had a FL1 warning on the screen and my circulation pump was dead....damn....the tub has no heat....so we waited for parts.

We waited...and then waited....and well....3 weeks went by before we got it fixed.

Here comes the interesting part.....

My entire life I have struggled with less than attractive issues...i.e...horrible athlete's foot (prescriptions and the works...two sock changes a day...rotate 3 pairs of shoes every week)...also with that came horrible jock itch..yup embarrassing but true.

Not much I can do I am a heavy sweater from my feet and butt...just is what it is.

So....when using the tub weekly...I did not need to use any ointments, drugs, antibacterial or antifungal anything!

Once the tub was broke, after 2 weeks I was back on the prescriptions!

My wife had the same thing with her eczema, needed nothing for the whole time we used the tub, once it broke she had to start using her creams again.

I did the math, it costs me less to keep my tub running then the prescriptions for my issues.

Bottom line....if you think chlorine is bad....you are thinking too much.

My quality and comfort of life has actually been increased beyond therapeutic by chlorine.

thanks nitro & chem geek.

Bart,

This isn't related to your chlorine testament, but more to your sweating issue.

I also frequent an (ice hockey) goalie forum. All goalie masks have a terry cloth sweatband that velcros in to the forehead area of the mask to, obvuosly, absorb sweat. Even with my 12 year old son, who is not a heavy sweater, these things get absolutely drenched with sweat after a single 1 hour session.

One of the members on that forum took a Sham-Wow and cut it up, folded it a few times, stitched it up, and tried using it as a sweatband. Apparently it was phenomenal, absorbing far more than the conventional sweatband. In fact, one adult goalie said the first time he tried it, when he took his mask off, the Sham-Wow felt almost dry and he thought that he must not have sweated much that session, but when he wrung it out, he was amazed as how much sweat was in it.

A couple other posters mentioned that they had been using them in their jocks as well, to help absorb moisture and help with problems related to what you have described.

I thought I'd mention it here....it might be something you could try. (No, I'm not Vince!) :D

I'm in the process of purchasing a new tub, narrowed it down to the D1 Chairman, Jacuzzi J-465 or 480, and the HS Vista. I really like the 480, and the dealer told me that with their special cartridge (ProClear), I don't have to use chlorine, but just shock the tub once a week. From reading here, even if I decide to buy the Jacuzzi, I think I will still use chlorine after each use and for weekly maintenance. I just can't see using a tub for a week, relying completely on their ProClear cartridge, with just one "shock" treatment.

Bart,

This isn't related to your chlorine testament, but more to your sweating issue.

I also frequent an (ice hockey) goalie forum. All goalie masks have a terry cloth sweatband that velcros in to the forehead area of the mask to, obvuosly, absorb sweat. Even with my 12 year old son, who is not a heavy sweater, these things get absolutely drenched with sweat after a single 1 hour session.

One of the members on that forum took a Sham-Wow and cut it up, folded it a few times, stitched it up, and tried using it as a sweatband. Apparently it was phenomenal, absorbing far more than the conventional sweatband. In fact, one adult goalie said the first time he tried it, when he took his mask off, the Sham-Wow felt almost dry and he thought that he must not have sweated much that session, but when he wrung it out, he was amazed as how much sweat was in it.

A couple other posters mentioned that they had been using them in their jocks as well, to help absorb moisture and help with problems related to what you have described.

I thought I'd mention it here....it might be something you could try. (No, I'm not Vince!) :D

I'm in the process of purchasing a new tub, narrowed it down to the D1 Chairman, Jacuzzi J-465 or 480, and the HS Vista. I really like the 480, and the dealer told me that with their special cartridge (ProClear), I don't have to use chlorine, but just shock the tub once a week. From reading here, even if I decide to buy the Jacuzzi, I think I will still use chlorine after each use and for weekly maintenance. I just can't see using a tub for a week, relying completely on their ProClear cartridge, with just one "shock" treatment.

Thanks for the info.....I think!

As to the tub, I use the ProClear as a backup in case I do something totally stupid like forget to chlorinate.

What the dealer failed to mention, is that you do need to keep a .5ppm level of chlorine to stay in the clear with the ProClear cartridge.

I am sure it works for some, but bleach is $3.50 a gallon and works really, really well.

As to the tub, I like my Jacuzzi...I would most likely buy another one...but dealer support is very, very important. I got my tub from an interesting turn of events...a lady won it in a radio contest and needed to sell it to pay for taxes...so I got a new tub for a song.....the Jacuzzi dealer in my area is a fool....very poor customer service...with that said...I have our Hotsprings dealer have all of my business for my non-warranty work.

Just some food for thought there.

Good luck!

Just an addition. Bleach is very alkaline. Keep track of the pH if using.

Actually the PROCESS of using bleach is very pH balanced. This is because, when the Chlorine is used up it's acidic, counteracting the slightly higher pH of the bleach itself.

The trick is to keep TA around 50-60 ppm, and adding Borates to 50 ppm. That keeps pH in perfect balance when using bleach. If you don't know the method of using Dichlor than Bleach, read my link below. It explains it in detail.

Just an addition. Bleach is very alkaline. Keep track of the pH if using.

Actually the PROCESS of using bleach is very pH balanced. This is because, when the Chlorine is used up it's acidic, counteracting the slightly higher pH of the bleach itself.

The trick is to keep TA around 50-60 ppm, and adding Borates to 50 ppm. That keeps pH in perfect balance when using bleach. If you don't know the method of using Dichlor than Bleach, read my link below. It explains it in detail.

Funny.....I was going to comment...but knew you would and do it much better than I....just made me chuckle.