Pentair Intellitouch Or Temp Sensor Problem

Either the water temperature sensor, or the Pentair Intellitouch i5s system, is giving me bad temperature readings.

I have to manually start/stop the heater every time. In the beginning, the temperature reading on the remote was 50-75 degrees hotter than the water actually was. Now, the display shows a constant -186° regardless if the water is hot or cold. Also notice that line to the right of the temperature. Not sure if that's a letter "I" or something else.

I always figured the temperature sensor was bad, but now I'm not so sure. I've tried calibrating the system, but no matter what value I specify, the number is never remembered. In other words, the calibration feature doesn't work. I'm wondering if this is consistent with a defective sensor or a defective remote/system?

The heater's temp sensor works fine, and so does the air sensor. Before I pay $50 for a new sensor, I thought I'd ask you guys first.

pentaircontroller.jpg

I swapped sensors like you suggested and it works. I didn't need the air temp sensor anyway. Thank you!

One little problem. Since I've put everything back together, the outdoor i5s breaker panel is flashing a red light that says "See Indoor Control Panel if Flashing". It's near the Reset button.

When I go inside there is nothing on the display. I can't get the red light to go away.

It means there is a problem with one of the temp sensors. You should replace the temp sensor, It is needed for the freeze protection.

OK, that makes sense. It almost never freezes here, but I'll replace it regardless.

Can I use a cheaper (better?) air temp sensor, or am I stuck with Pentair? I know pool equipment is expensive, but $50 for a temp sensor seems kind of steep...especially if they're prone to failure (from what I've heard).

• 2 months later...
You are stuck with Pentair i'm afraid.

Technically you are not stuck with Pentair. The IntelliTouch uses a 10k sensor so you can use anyones 10k sensor. This is simple if replacing the air sensor, but not as simple if replacing the water temp sensor. The water temp sensor fits into a hole in the pipe and they are not all the same size.

Hey, remember to swap those sensors back that you switched for your test!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same light, "See Indoor Control Panel if flashing," flashing. I have had issue with the temp. sensors and just replaced the air temp sensor as it was not measuring properly. The air temp is now reading accurately but the light continues to flash. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure that you don't have solar enabled. Go to: Menu/setup/equipment/solar. Make sure the solar present box says no and hit save.

You will also get that light when you turn back on the power to the Intellitouch after it has been turned off, but should go off after about 10 sec. or so.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 6:25 AM, Pool Clown said:

Yes. You are switching to see if the other sensor agrees with the one you switched out for.

Where were you last night when I needed this? Had my temp sensor replaced less than two years ago, so when the spa temp was not reading accurately, I figured it was the thermal regulator, bought online and nothing improved. The water heated up anyway without the spa temp sensor (I checked by feeling the water). And it was a HOT spa night! The temp sensor is too finicky so I'll just use a thermometer in the spa! Work around! Thanks for the swap out idea!