Please Need Help Wall Cave In. - All Swimming Pools Types - Pool and Spa Forum

(July 17, 2014) POOLSPAFORUM.COM SITE UPGRADE!

Photo

Please Need Help Wall Cave In.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arktrans

arktrans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

5 years ago I installed a 30' x 52" round pool. I bought it from very established pool co. in the greater Cleveland Oh. area. I told them that about 1/3 of it would be buried about 30" underground, as my property drops about 1 inch every foot, they said not a problem. This year, cold snowy winter, for some reason the water leaked out and went down to a level of 12". The side that was buried buckled and moved out about 6-12 " from the bottom of the track. The beaded liner seperated from the bead abbout 12"along it. After calling a couple of places to get pricing to fix it, I was told that this type of pool that they sold me was never intended for below ground. Should I set it back in the track and put a new liner in it.? The part that is underground , should I dig it out and not back fill , just have a slope down to the track. What is the best way ? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Is the pool company libel for any of this?

#2 imnay

imnay

Spa Savant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (arktrans @ May 13 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
5 years ago I installed a 30' x 52" round pool. I bought it from very established pool co. in the greater Cleveland Oh. area. I told them that about 1/3 of it would be buried about 30" underground, as my property drops about 1 inch every foot, they said not a problem. This year, cold snowy winter, for some reason the water leaked out and went down to a level of 12". The side that was buried buckled and moved out about 6-12 " from the bottom of the track. The beaded liner seperated from the bead abbout 12"along it. After calling a couple of places to get pricing to fix it, I was told that this type of pool that they sold me was never intended for below ground. Should I set it back in the track and put a new liner in it.? The part that is underground , should I dig it out and not back fill , just have a slope down to the track. What is the best way ? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Is the pool company libel for any of this?

Can't say what happened to your pool unless the wall that buckled outward was along a downward ground slope and somehow the weight of the water caused it to fail.

We've had a 27ft X 52in round AGP buried about 28 inches in the ground for about 19 years with zero problems.

Our installer/contractor explained to us that the outward pressure of the water would keep the inward pressure of the soil from pushing the wall inward. ABG pool design is based on the pressure of the water outward to keep the walls stable.

Your failure was outward even against the support of the earth so I think something else is at fault here and not fact you partially buried your pool.

#3 arktrans

arktrans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (imnay @ May 13 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (arktrans @ May 13 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't say what happened to your pool unless the wall that buckled outward was along a downward ground slope and somehow the weight of the water caused it to fail.

We've had a 27ft X 52in round AGP buried about 28 inches in the ground for about 19 years with zero problems.

Our installer/contractor explained to us that the outward pressure of the water would keep the inward pressure of the soil from pushing the wall inward. ABG pool design is based on the pressure of the water outward to keep the walls stable.

Your failure was outward even against the support of the earth so I think something else is at fault here and not fact you partially buried your pool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

website security