Elevated Spa Draining To Pool When Pump Is Off - All Swimming Pools Types - Pool and Spa Forum

(July 17, 2014) POOLSPAFORUM.COM SITE UPGRADE!

Photo

Elevated Spa Draining To Pool When Pump Is Off

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TexasSwimmer

TexasSwimmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

My elevated in ground spa is draining into the pool when the filter pump is off. I replaced the jandy check valve which is typcally the cause of this however even with a new check valve, the problem continues. I have noticed that my DE filter does have a small leak at the pressure gauge however my thought was that any water that drains from the filter will get stopped by the check valve. What else can cause the water level in the spa to drain back into the pool?

#2 Pool Clown

Pool Clown

Spa Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:57 AM

If you have valve actuators, One could be misaligned or have stopped working. Put the system into spa mode while you are at the equipment and see if both valve actuators are moving to the spa position.

Do you have an in floor cleaning system that is also in the spa? That system will have a check valve in addition to the one you replaced.

Factory Warranty/Service for:
Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

#3 leakhelp

leakhelp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

Just like PC said...check all the valves. Basically anywhere the pool and spa can connect- through the suction lines (the valve located there could easily have something breaking the seal since it is unfiltered water flowing through this valve). Return lines and the related valves. If your spa has a dedicated "by-pass", there should be a check valve on that too. If this is foreign to you, take a picture of your equipment and maybe we can help further. Sometimes, if you go out to the pump at night (or anytime when it is quiet) and run it, shut it off and listen next to the valves- you may hear the water siphoning back and that will identify the bad seal. If all the valves check out, make sure you don't have an actual leak. You can do this several ways...try an evaporation test- it's cheap (basically free, just need a 5-gallon bucket and tape) and pretty accurate if done correctly.

#4 TexasSwimmer

TexasSwimmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

Thanks guys. I found the problem. The pressure valve that sits on top of the DE filter has a very slow leak. I initially did not think this would cause my spa to drain back into the pool however when I took a second look at all of the plumbing I realized that the return of water after the filter splits off (to send water to both the spa and pool) however the inline chlorinator AND check value are only on the line that goes to the pool.....water from the DE filter back to the spa does not pass through the chlorinator nor check value. Is this the usual set-up?

#5 AZMermaid

AZMermaid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

The elevated spa probably does have at least one, possibly two return lines coming from the pool side. This is why when you have everything in "pool mode" you get an overflow from from spa to the pool. That is how the spa gets benefits of chemicals in the pool. So, it is highly likely the filter pressure relief leak was causing your problem. Without the seal the water as getting through the check valve, then doing what water does, seeking its lowest level, and going to the pool. When you are running in "spa mode" you are only circulating water from spa-to-spa, with no additional chemicals being added.

#6 lcgyy

lcgyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

Entourage said in court papers that he suffered a concussion, a ruptured eardrum, a burst blood vessel in his eye and a torn rotator cuff in the July 2005 scuffle with Iverson's security detail. The altercation occurred when the basketball star's entourage attempted to take over the bar's VIP section, according to court papers. No criminal charges were filed.

Piven, the Emmy-friendly star of Entourage,exited the production in December, 10 weeks early, citing health concerns related to mercury poisoning, which Entourage said he got from eating fish. In the statement, the producers noted that Entourage have requested "a wide range of relevant information" from Entourage about his "alleged illness," including "medical records and documentation of Mr. Piven's activities both during and after the run of the show." They also proposed that all information supplied be "subject to a strict confidentiality agreement."
Blige recently guest-starred on Entourage

The L Word is the intimate story about the lives and loves of a group of lesbian friends living in Los Angeles. The show has received a lot of praise for its brilliant storylines and its portrayal of the lesbian community.
The L Word is created and executive produced by Ilene Chaiken who also...
Charlie is a well-to-do bachelor with a house at the beach, a Jaguar in the front, and an easy way with women. His casual Malibu lifestyle is interrupted when his tightly wound brother Alan, who's facing a divorce, and his son Jake, come to live with him. Together, these two and a half men confront the challenges of growing up; finally. Complicating matters are the brothers'...

NCIS Spinoff Casts CSI Alumna, Two Others
The ensemble for CBS' planned NCIS spinoff continues to flesh out. Not long after it was reported that Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J are circling two lead roles, three other characters have been cast.
Louise Lombard, who played CSI'sSofia Curtis for three seasons, has landed what is considered the series' female lead: Clara, a former major in the military police turned investigator.
The Hollywood Reporter also reports that Peter Cambor (Notes from the Underbelly) will play Nate, a quick-witted operational psychologist.
Just asNCISwas born of a JAG episode, this latest offshoot will kick off as an episode of NCIS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

website security