Adding A Blower - Portable Hot Tubs & Spas - Pool and Spa Forum

(July 17, 2014) POOLSPAFORUM.COM SITE UPGRADE!

Photo
- - - - -

Adding A Blower

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 oggie

oggie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:58 PM

My old but newly acquired spa did not have a blower and I want to add one. It does have plumbing for a venturi setup. I was wondering if I could "T" into that plumbing and hook up the blower to the "T". The blower output is 2 inches in diameter so I suspect I would reduce that down to the 1 inch plumbing.The blower is 1HP. Does this sound reasonable or way off? Thanks.

#2 Pool Clown

Pool Clown

Spa Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

That will probably void the warranty and prematurely kill the blower.

Factory Warranty/Service for:
Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

#3 KIALDA

KIALDA

Spa Savant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

are you thinking about plumbing in a blower to the ozone intake?

#4 Dr. Spa

Dr. Spa

Advanced Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

It probably wont make any noticeable difference to the jet pressure, than simply opening the air dials......... More than likely, excess air will simply bubble straight up from the jets. Also reducing the pipe size will cause the blower to quickly overheat and shut down...then just die, prematurely.
What the heck do I know, I only started in this industry in 1981, and retired from it after 33 years.
(from service tech to co-owner of Roberts Hot Tubs, manufacturer of traditional wooden hot tubs & spa covers)

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

If you can't sell it on ebay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

#5 oggie

oggie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE (Dr. Spa @ Dec 4 2008, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It probably wont make any noticeable difference to the jet pressure, than simply opening the air dials......... More than likely, excess air will simply bubble straight up from the jets. Also reducing the pipe size will cause the blower to quickly overheat and shut down...then just die, prematurely.

I guess the consensus is I don't have a clue what I am doing with this blower. Maybe this hot tub cannot use a blower, is that possible? I don't know where or how to plumb the blower in or if it is possible. Can you give me a hint? Thanks.

#6 tony

tony

Spa Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (oggie @ Dec 5 2008, 06:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess the consensus is I don't have a clue what I am doing with this blower. Maybe this hot tub cannot use a blower, is that possible? I don't know where or how to plumb the blower in or if it is possible. Can you give me a hint? Thanks.

What are you attempting to accomplish with the addition of a blower...better water jet action or bubbly water? Blowers that make the water bubble are separate systems with their own air jets and plumbing.

#7 oggie

oggie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (tony @ Dec 5 2008, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are you attempting to accomplish with the addition of a blower...better water jet action or bubbly water? Blowers that make the water bubble are separate systems with their own air jets and plumbing.

I was attempting to get the bubbly water thing going. I have a total of 6 jets in the spa. There are two plumbing systems tied into each jet. One plumbing line is the out put of the pump, the other is connected to the water plumbing at the jets and has an adjustable air valve at the spa controls.. So if I cannot connect to either one of these two plumbing lines I can not have a blower? Is that correct?

#8 oggie

oggie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (oggie @ Dec 5 2008, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (tony @ Dec 5 2008, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was attempting to get the bubbly water thing going. I have a total of 6 jets in the spa. There are two plumbing systems tied into each jet. One plumbing line is the out put of the pump, the other is connected to the water plumbing at the jets and has an adjustable air valve at the spa controls.. So if I cannot connect to either one of these two plumbing lines I can not have a blower? Is that correct?

I believe I found my answer at this site:http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/plumbing-diagram.htm There is an animated spa operation demonstration. I do not have the additional plumbing or jets for a blower setup as seen in the demo. Therefore my blower ideas are mute. I hope that the people who sent me the "2" blowers will let me send them back. Thanks for all the inputs.

#9 tony

tony

Spa Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:52 AM

Yes, the feature you are looking for is a complete system that does not tie into the water jets.

#10 Spatech31

Spatech31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (oggie @ Dec 4 2008, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My old but newly acquired spa did not have a blower and I want to add one. It does have plumbing for a venturi setup. I was wondering if I could "T" into that plumbing and hook up the blower to the "T". The blower output is 2 inches in diameter so I suspect I would reduce that down to the 1 inch plumbing.The blower is 1HP. Does this sound reasonable or way off? Thanks.

My answer to your question is dont do it. All the air blower is going to do is cool down the water as it draws cold air under the skirt and it will cool down quickly,,

#11 IACinger

IACinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Spatech31 @ Jan 15 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (oggie @ Dec 4 2008, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My answer to your question is dont do it. All the air blower is going to do is cool down the water as it draws cold air under the skirt and it will cool down quickly,,

My dealer said that a blower is not something he recommends (although he would sell me one if I really insisted). Blowing air in, and using ozonators, influences your Ph - takes it down. I did opt to add the ozonator and he was right, the only adjustment I have to make is to add "Ph UP" (I never add "Ph Down" unless changing the water - its alkaline right out of the tap).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

website security