Newbie With Intex Pool And Having Issues With Cloudy Water - All Swimming Pools Types - Pool and Spa Forum

(July 17, 2014) POOLSPAFORUM.COM SITE UPGRADE!

Photo

Newbie With Intex Pool And Having Issues With Cloudy Water

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Misty

Misty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

This is the 2nd year that we have had a above ground pool. I purchased a 16x48 pool from samsclub and came home to an easy setup.

Water and everything was perfect for almost 2 months. went away on vacation for the weekend and forgot to set timer and pool was green(we left the solar cover on). Ever since then the water has been extremly cloudy. 2 days ago was the first time that i have seen the bottom of my pool in over a month. I vaccuumed it with my handy water hose powered vaccuum and got quite a bit of stuff. have done this for 2 days now and its still cloudy. pool is shocked weekly with aqua chem vinyl pool shock from walmart. 2 gallons of chlorine a week and a stablizer tablet is in floater.

I wash out filter every day when i get home from work and its dirty...

Is there any help for me out there, I am not good with all these numbers that the pool has to be at. I use the little test sticks and compare colors on the back.

can anyone help me? I would love to have my pool sparkling clean again.

Misty from Florida ohmy.gif

#2 Olidus

Olidus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:34 AM

What are you levels like?
If your PH or Alkalinity or Stabilizer is off there is no point in shoking as it would simply be a waste of chemicals from my understanding.
Simply use your test strips or take a water sample in to your local pool place for testing.

If water levels are in check - one thing I would suggest is Algone.

Oli~
Olidus~
21" Round - Above Ground Pool
Sand Filter

#3 Misty

Misty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:35 AM

My sheet for my test says the following: This is from the pool store.

Chlorine:.5
PH: 7/15,000
Alkalinity:190
Calcium:200
Stablizer:0

I went to the local pool store and spent about a fortune on stuff for it.

I was low on everything due to the recent rain that we have been having. I had to add 1 gallon of murdaic acid, 1 gallon of cholrine, 2 packages of ph increaser(almost like ash) and 1 gallon of instant water conditioner.

#4 Angela

Angela

Spa Savant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:33 AM

Misty, I don't think a water hose powered vacuum will work well enough on the powder stuff. You would be better off trying to vacuum from your filter pump. You could do this by connecting a hose to the inside of your pool suction connection. You need a vacuum head on the other end. These come in all sizes and have also have a connection for your pool pole. If your pump is not very strong there is a funnel connection available which concentrates the suction more. Cant remember which site I saw this on but as it was only last night I can easily back track on my history if you are interested. Let me know though.

Good luck
18'x12' Oval Quick Up Pool
FSP400 16" sand filter/pump 1/3hp
Duratech 3 heat exchanger

#5 Misty

Misty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:24 AM

yes please let me know what site.

I have a vaccuum head that I purchased from walmart along with the hose. But I have no where to attach it to my pool. I thought attaching it to the filter(where the water goes in) and see if that would help. I guess I would need a new filter so that there is nothing holding it back.

I was reading on here about some things and I went to walmart and got a test kit of my own. its only a 3 way though.
Going to go and test the water now.

This is what I have on hand in my possession right now:
Alkanity plus by Aqua Chem
3' stablizer tablet for floater
Box of borax
3 gallons of ultra regular bleach
1 gallon of chlorine
Skimmer Net for my skimmer
and pool shock for vinyl

#6 Olidus

Olidus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:21 AM

Misty,

I just found this witha quick google search. Its a youtube video with step by step instructions as to how to vacuum manually.

Hope it help.

Olidus~
21" Round - Above Ground Pool
Sand Filter

#7 Angela

Angela

Spa Savant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

Misty, this is the site for the hose connection I mentioned www.a2zpoolsupply.com its called a Super Sucker Spot Vac.

As to your vacuum hose - you have to connect inside your pool where the water is sucked out of the pool into your filter. If the hose does not fit over the connection or into it, you will need to buy an adaptor. I had trouble getting the right size and eventually found a black rubberised reducer that works ok.
18'x12' Oval Quick Up Pool
FSP400 16" sand filter/pump 1/3hp
Duratech 3 heat exchanger

#8 shymomma

shymomma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

I have had cloudy water in my intex pool for about two weeks. This comes on the tail of an algea outbreak. My water balance is fine now but I've been working my rear off to try to clear the water...shocking, using water clarifier, etc.

I was away on a trip for about a day and a half. I left the pump off. When I came back the water was almost crystal clear!!! I could see that everything had settled to the bottom. I thought great, all I have to do is vacuum it up and I'm good to go...finally. So I begin to vacuum and can see everything blowing right back into the pool from the pump return. And this is just after I changed the filter. So this makes me think the reason the water has been cloudy for so long is that I've just been circulating this junk through my filter over and over.

I think the best thing to do would just be to vacuum it "to waste". The problem is, I'm a newbie and I don't know how to do that with my Intex 635 pump. Do I just open the sediment valve and run the pump?

Or would putting more clarifier in help this junk to clump up and get stuck in the filter?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

website security