(April 12, 2014) POOLSPAFORUM.COM SITE UPGRADE!

Photo
- - - - -

Hot Spring Landmark Leak Moto Massage Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tburns8690

tburns8690

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hi all, newbie with a 2001 Hot Spring Landmark that developed a leak recently, which, now I found out might be self inflicted. THe moto massage stopped working, and when I looked inside the little blue hose had split, replaced that and still nothing, so I proceeded to try to "blow" back through the nipple where it connects in the back of the housing, still didn't work, so replaced the entire "spine" in the moto, now that works great, except losing 3-4 inches of water per day, figured out it was that corner and pulled some boards, starting digging the foam (followed the wet foam), and found a "huge hole" with water pouring out on the back of the moto housing, and after realizing that this was the "back side" of the air hose connection, temporarily plugged the hole with some putty, water stopped, no more leak, no more moto massage either. I have looked everywhere under there for an "airline" that should maybe be re-connected to this area (with maybe a new nipple?), but after digging almost 18 inches in every direction, it is nowhere to be found???? Could anyone give me some direction where to look or perhaps where to get a plumbing schematic or where this "originates" from? At this point, I think I may have to run a new one??? Any advice or experience on this mess would be appreciated.

#2 Chas

Chas

Nice guy. Really.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:02 AM

Well, as you have already figured out I'm sure, there certainly was an air line running to the back of the moto. And there was one or sometimes even two small bleed lines as well as the water line. All of those lines are vinyl. And they are all coated with ten-pound density foam, so as you ae digging through the other foam sometimes they don't look at all like an air line and you can cut them, even pull them out.

The air lines tend to run toward the top of the tub, so I would look there for the remains of a hard foam encrusted stub of small vinyl tubing. I'm not sure that having a plumbing schematic will help because there are so many routes to take from one jet to another.

cool.gif
Poolspaforum.com Moderator
Award Winning HotSpring Dealer

#3 sjeanine

sjeanine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:33 AM

Hearing stories like this horrifies me! My dh and I are not mechanical at all so this would be a horrible thing to end up happening to us if we buy a hot tub! I've heard it can be a nightmare if you have full foam insulation too but then we're told the other types are not as good at keeping the cold out so, what do you do??? Ugh!

QUOTE(Chas @ Jun 2 2008, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, as you have already figured out I'm sure, there certainly was an air line running to the back of the moto. And there was one or sometimes even two small bleed lines as well as the water line. All of those lines are vinyl. And they are all coated with ten-pound density foam, so as you ae digging through the other foam sometimes they don't look at all like an air line and you can cut them, even pull them out.

The air lines tend to run toward the top of the tub, so I would look there for the remains of a hard foam encrusted stub of small vinyl tubing. I'm not sure that having a plumbing schematic will help because there are so many routes to take from one jet to another.

cool.gif

#4 Roger

Roger

Spa Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(sjeanine @ Jun 3 2008, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hearing stories like this horrifies me! My dh and I are not mechanical at all so this would be a horrible thing to end up happening to us if we buy a hot tub! I've heard it can be a nightmare if you have full foam insulation too but then we're told the other types are not as good at keeping the cold out so, what do you do??? Ugh!

A good tech can have this fixed in an hour or 2...cake.

Talk to your local repair guys and see what they reccomend.

Independent repair technician.
Part Time

#5 Chas

Chas

Nice guy. Really.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE(sjeanine @ Jun 3 2008, 05:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Roger- this is not a design flaw, a newbie made a simple mistake. The number of tubs I have had with leaks over the course of the two decades I have been selling them is tiny. That is a nice side effect of the better support full foam gives to the plumbing.

cool.gif
Poolspaforum.com Moderator
Award Winning HotSpring Dealer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

website security