dangers of black algae - Hot Tub Water Chemistry - Pool and Spa Forum

Jump to content


(July 17, 2014) POOLSPAFORUM.COM SITE UPGRADE!


dangers of black algae


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Loretta_*

Guest_Loretta_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:40 PM

I have just begun to notice black algae growth in our swimming pool. I'm wondering if it is dangerous to swim with it present. We have a pool professional who maintains it, so I know the chemical balance is okay, but we just added solar heating panels and it seems to have gotten worse since we began heating up the water. I welcome any comments regarding the two above points.

Thanks

#2 Guest_james_*

Guest_james_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:42 PM

First off, get rid of the pool "pro". Don't sound like he knows what he's doing if you have a bloom. Learn to test water chemistry yourself, then you won't have to worry about whether it's safe or not...it's your pool. Is the pool guy liable if someone gets ill from the water? Get to walmart and get a $15 test kit, stabilizer, clarifier, and 5 or 6 jugs of ultra unscented bleach. Use test kit then post your numbers.
What kind of pool is it?

#3 Guest_steve w_*

Guest_steve w_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:44 PM

Seems a bit harsh to get rid of the pool guy(all professionals make the odd mistake from time to time).It seems to me the chlorine level has run very low or the ph too high ,try shocking the pool,lower the ph to 7,some antialgae and a lot of brushing.

#4 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:46 PM

Would you use chlorine calcium hypochlorite shock (the bagged shock that you should add at night) in your laundry or to clean your toilet? Would you swim in a bucket of bleach water? Then why would you use bleach in your pool- you will wind up spending just as much if not more money using bleach, first of all it doesn't sanitize effectively enough (or at least not nearly as much as conventional chlorine or biguanide systems), secondly, it adds a lot of unrefined particles into the water, thirdly, it is more corrosive, so you may wind up having to replace equipment and components of your pool sooner. Personally, I would rather spend the money on properly maintaining the pool and keep the $100-900 or more equipment in good condition.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

website security