Fill Filter Vs. Metal Gone Type Product

Maxemily

Depending on quality of fill filter depends on how much metals are removed.

Cost is about the same over the life of a filling filter (quality one)

If using N2, you should not put it in until a couple days after adding metal remover.

you should rinse your filters a few days after using metal remover.

Metal remover can effect the PH.

Some water, at least in this area need the filling filter and metal remover due to really bad water.

Oh sure, I filled up last night, using N2 and Metal Gon for the first time.

And I only waited an hour, not 2 days. Well, we'll see how it goes.

I'll remember to wait next time. Thanks Hillbilly.

Pull N2 and try to salvage it. The metal remover will remove the metals that the N2 is putting in the water. After 2 days you pull the filters and rinse them, then add the N2. They do not tell you this in the directions, but if you call and ask a N2 rep they will tell you. They should make it clear in the directions IMO.

I'm in the same boat, except now it's been 4 days with both metal gon and N2 in the tub together. Does N2 continue to release silver after the first few days - and, if so, would this early interaction with metal gon stop that? What's the point of using a metal remover when we also want to be putting (some) metal into the water with N2? Also, my water tends to be very soft - does that mean I don't need a metal remover in the first place?

Thanks

My new heater/controller arrive on Friday so I will be heading to the local pool/spa pros for piping. They have the same water we do and I will find out exactly how metallic it is.

I am glad I asked because I would have done the same with the Metal Gon and N2.

If I can get away with one or the other, I think the fill filter is the easiest option.

Thanks Hillbilly.

What's the point of using a metal remover when we also want to be putting (some) metal into the water with N2? Also, my water tends to be very soft - does that mean I don't need a metal remover in the first place?

Thanks

I can't answer the part of your post I didn't include in the quote, but I might be able to help with the rest.

The metals you don't want are iron and copper. They are of no use besides staining the spa or discoloring the water.

As far as soft water goes, you might still have metal in the water. Water softness and hardness refers to the calcium and magnesium content (the latter of which we don't seem to concern ourselves with), but not the amount of metal. From what I understand - and this would be limited and quite possibly completely wrong ;) - Metal Gon does not distinguish between metals, it just gets rid of them all. This is bad for us N2 folks who want silver in the water.

Of course, the whole no copper theory is shot with Clearwater Blue and their copper system. :huh: