Replacement Cover

I have a 2 year old spa whose cover has gone to hell. I live in Phoenix and the constant pounding of the sun on the cover has caused significant deterioration. My wife contacted me - the cover somehow filled with water. When she pushed the cover back a large amount of brown water spilled out of the cover into the spa. Yuck.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a heavy duty cover? Something that can really hold up to the Arizona sun?

I had been using that Aerospace spray on the vinyl - but apparently that wasn't good enough or I was not keeping up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vinyls resistance to sunlight damage is specified by it's UV rating. The UV rating of spa cover can vary from 500 to 1500 (of course the lower the rating, the less expensive the vinyl). Look for a replacement with a 1500 UV rating.

There appear to be a multitude of places to purchase a cover. Any suggestions?

As for U.S. vendors, I can't really offer any assistance, but for the benefit of Canadian members I can strongly recommend Hot Tub Covers Canada.

My spa is a Sunrise (made in Grimsby,ON) and HTC's factory is in Mississauga, apparently they are , or were, the OEM vendor for Sunrise. When my cover was damaged it the great GTA ice storm last year, all I did was give them my spa model & year and the new cover fit exactly as the original. The cover quality is excellent and their customer service is outstanding.

• 3 weeks later...

Once you get your new cover you may want to consider tarping the tub with a cheap $10 8'x8' brown or blue plastic tarp, then the sun will tear it up & you can get a new one every year & save your cover.

• 1 year later...

I am bringing this topic back from the dead, as there appear to be some non-vinyl covers out there. Has anyone had success with a replacement that was either aluminum or plastic?

More than anything, I need something that can withstand deterioration from the sun. I'd rather pay more now rather than have vinyl cover failures every couple of years.