Replacing Water Pump And Amps Differ = Problem?

Newbie here,

The guy I got my spa from included a new water pump that he ordered himself. The intake size is different so I went to my local pool/spa store to ask for advice about an adapter. He was incredulous that I might have a 2.5" intake (I AM right), but he also mentioned to MAKE SURE that the amps match from the old pump to the new pump or things could be bad.

The old pump lists its amps at 12.0/3/5.

The new pump lists its amps at 16.4/4.8.

Also, the old pump is 4.5 HP and the new one is 5 HP.

As long as I install the right adapter for the intake size, will I be OK with the new pump and its amp difference?

Thanks for any help! :-)

Possibly NOT. Spas are designed to use a specific amount of combined amps (pump, heater, blower, and anything else electrical in the system). The new pump increases the possible total number of amps used by 4.4. This could be enough to trip breakers, blow fuses, fry circuit boards and potentially start a fire.