Low Water Pressure With Vacuum

Razvan

Hello everyone,

I'm am new to this forum and pools. I start taking care of my mothers inground pool. The size of e pool is about 40,000 gal. I am having problems when I connect the vacuum to the pump to clean the bottom. The vacuum barely move and the pressure gaug on the sand filter shows almost no pressure. If the hose is remove from thewater intake which also serves as a skimmer, the pressure shots up to about 15psi. I have tried to disconnect only the vacuum and left the long hose in the water thinking maybe the vacuum is no good. The pressure remained low. Any suggestions why the pressure is lost when the vacuum and hose is connected? Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I'm am new to this forum and pools. I start taking care of my mothers inground pool. The size of e pool is about 40,000 gal. I am having problems when I connect the vacuum to the pump to clean the bottom. The vacuum barely move and the pressure gaug on the sand filter shows almost no pressure. If the hose is remove from thewater intake which also serves as a skimmer, the pressure shots up to about 15psi. I have tried to disconnect only the vacuum and left the long hose in the water thinking maybe the vacuum is no good. The pressure remained low. Any suggestions why the pressure is lost when the vacuum and hose is connected? Thank you.

Are you priming the hose before you connect it to the skimmer? You prime the hose by dropping the vac with the hose and pole attached into the pool and then grab the hose above the water line and begin pushing the hose below the water line to fill the hose with water and force all air out of it. If done properly when you get to the end of the hose water should be coming out. Then plug the hose into the skimmer. If you lose suction you may have a hole in the hose or an obstruction in the hose.

Sharkman

Thank you for your reply. I tried to prime the hose with no better results. I watched a few youtube video how to prime the hose, so i know i've done it correctly. Any other ideas? The pump is half empty when the hose and vac is connected. I manually release air from the sand filter, but it keep accumulation back.

Sharkman

Thank you for your reply. I tried to prime the hose with no better results. I watched a few youtube video how to prime the hose, so i know i've done it correctly. Any other ideas? The pump is half empty when the hose and vac is connected. I manually release air from the sand filter, but it keep accumulation back.

What brand of pump is on this system and is the leaf strainer basket cracked or have holes in it? Debris will sometimes get past the basket and plug the impellar and restrict the pump.

How old is the equipment? Has the sand filter been backwashed? What condition is the sand in the filter in?

It sounds to me like you have to much restriction in the hose? is it 1 1/4" or 1 1/2". You may see improvement with 1 1/2". What is happening is that your pump is attempting to suck more water than is available because there is additional restriction inside of the hose. Without the hose the restriction in the plumbing is accounted for during the build, so the correct pump is used. When you add the additional hose (ie additional restriction) then pump is "oversized". Are you able to crack another valve and allow additional water into the pump to a degree that the air is removed from the pump? This would be my advise!