What To Do With Rust

texasmax

OK- been in our new house since last Summer (in Dallas). Of course ntoiced this rust spot in the spa immediately, but wasn't going to do anything about it simply because we were going to be resurfacing this Spring. It's on the spa wall that separates it from the pool, and it's a "waterfall-lite" setup (not sure what it's called) where the wall is just at the water height so the water flows just over the top. The opposite side of the wall (the pool side) is perfectly fine. Now, turns out we're going to give it another year or two, so the question is, what can I do about this. Drained the spa to get a better pic. You can see it's been "patched" twice before (not sure to what extent other than waht you can see). The rust is slowly "creeping" and extends lower down now than when the photo was taken at the end of December.

I hesitate to scrub much of the surface rust away as I'm worried it will just expose more of the rebar of whatever is just under there. I'm concerned about how it looks, but I'm more concerned with getting a metal-in-the-water problem that will cause widespread staining. No, I haven't had the water tested yet for metals- need to do that. I otherwise keep the water very much in balance.

Question- what's the best thing to do here, that's DIY? Can it be plastered over? Is there a specialty something-or-other that can be applied?

Thank you!

spa_rust.jpg

That is rebar exposure near the surface. It will need to have the plaster removed and possibly some of the cement around it. Then it needs to be sealed and and patched. To not do it this way will only result in it's increasingly rapid return. A 4-1/2" grinder with a diamond wheel works well to expose it and Thoroghseal waterproofs it. Plaster patch material is like quick setting hydaulic cement.

Scott

Gotcha- thank you, appreciate it! Would it help to gring back some of the rebar or not necessary if the cemen/plaster removal is complete and it's properly sealed?

Is it correct to say that the original construction on this was poor (having the rebar so close to the surface)?

That looks like two failed rebar rust removal attempts(two patches). Both times it appears they failed to get all the rusted rebar. You have to take the extra time to make sure it is all out, or it will come back, as your photo shows. It can also make the patch bigger(chasing the rust). I have always gotten all the rust out(black looking spots or areas of the metal) before i seal the end(s) of the metal, so i don't know if just exposing the rusted rebar and sealing, then patching will keep the rust from coming back.