First Time Buyer -which Hot Tub Is Most Reliable

twiggy

Looking to but a hot tub for the first time - looking to spend $8,000 to $12,000 and do not want to make a big mistake as far as repair problems - any recommendations for most reliable brand or model. looking for approximately 7 feet by 7 feet with no lounger. Any help would be appreciated....

Looking to but a hot tub for the first time - looking to spend $8,000 to $12,000 and do not want to make a big mistake as far as repair problems - any recommendations for most reliable brand or model. looking for approximately 7 feet by 7 feet with no lounger. Any help would be appreciated....

Hi Twiggy, and welcome to the forum. My short list of some I would take a look at in no particular order would be:

Arctic Spas

Jacuzzi

Sundance

Hot Spring

D1

Marquis

Some others I wouldn’t rule out would be Artesian and Clearwater Spas.

I would look at some of those online first to find some local dealers, then go out to the stores to get a feel for the dealers themselves. Buying from a good local reputable dealer can be just as important decision as the tub itself. Many will recommend picking out three or four and then go wet test those spas to help make the decision. Lastly, with the price range you have in mind, you should be able to purchase a very nice quality spa from any of the manufactures listed above. Good luck!

I like Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance and there are a few others that get good reviews such as Arctic, Artesian and Beachcomber. There really isn't any single "best" spa. Its not just about the spa maker but also about the dealer but go to the websites of some of the better regarded spas and use their dealer locators to see who is local and visit as many as you can within your general area (I'd try to stay within 45 miles or so though you may have to expand that if you're in a rural area or if you have slim pickings).

Hi Twiggy, and welcome to the forum. My short list of some I would take a look at in no particular order would be:

Arctic Spas

Jacuzzi

Sundance

Hot Spring

D1

Marquis

Some others I wouldn’t rule out would be Artesian and Clearwater Spas.

I would look at some of those online first to find some local dealers, then go out to the stores to get a feel for the dealers themselves. Buying from a good local reputable dealer can be just as important decision as the tub itself. Many will recommend picking out three or four and then go wet test those spas to help make the decision. Lastly, with the price range you have in mind, you should be able to purchase a very nice quality spa from any of the manufactures listed above. Good luck!

Thanks I am doing exactly as you said and will wet test 3 - hopefully then the decision will be easy.

Thanks I am doing exactly as you said and will wet test 3 - hopefully then the decision will be easy.

Very wise, look at 5 or 6 and wet test the top 3 or so. However, if possible I think you REALLY want to wet test all 3 the same day, or at least on back to back days. Your brain will have a much easier time comparing the feel of each, remembering which did what, etc. It may seem like a pain but you won't regret it as you'll learn a lot that way.

Make sure they know when you're coming and I personally would ask for the water to be set at something like 101º (or 100 or 102 but the same on each), a pretty standard temp. If its too hot or too cold it will be annoying.

...Thanks I am doing exactly as you said and will wet test 3 - hopefully then the decision will be easy.

Keep your common sense, have fun and know your budget. If you stick with the quality brands such as those that are listed, your decison probably will come down to the wet test, cost and dealer.

As each dealer tries to seperate themselves from thier competitors and try to diiferentiate thier product form others, it may get more complicted than it should. Don't let it become a pain.

Stick with a quality brand and a reputable dealer. Here's some small hints to help keep your head on straight when it starts to get confusing:

Know your budget.

Check the dealer out.

Know where you stand on "the extra's" (Stereo, waterfalls, light packages). How important are each of these features, if important at all?

When comparing prices, make sure cover, the lifter, steps and delivery are all included and note if they are of similliar quality. Short plastic steps cost a hundred bucks. Long wooden steps, several hundred. An entry level cover lifter cost significantly less than the higher end models. (And is install of the lifter included?). Some dealers include Ozone in the price, others option it out. (get the CD ozone option, IMHO)

Do you have any unique delivery issues that could effect any delivey costs?

The "Free Chemicals" all the dealers say they include? Phhht. usually it's a starter pack of sample sizes, don't let the dealer make this out like they are givving you a huge break.

Filtration? Yea, each brand has the "Best system". Among the top brands, they all filter very well. Don't let this become a point of confusion.

One of the nicer "Comes with" is with the Watkins familly of tubs (Hotspring, Caldera, Tiger River etc) all include the electrical sub panel in the deal. This is a Legit $75+ value.

IT never hurts to see if a dealer will sweeten the deal with an extra set of filters, or upgrades to the lifter or steps.

That being said.....

This winter, when everything is said and done it wont matter if you got a free rubber ducky, or a free robe, - but the quality of the hot tub's therapy quality and performance willl.

Oh, yea. Have fun. Buying a new hot tub is one of life's good things. :D

Oh yea, I'd add Caldera to your short list. ;)

...Thanks I am doing exactly as you said and will wet test 3 - hopefully then the decision will be easy.

Keep your common sense, have fun and know your budget. If you stick with the quality brands such as those that are listed, your decison probably will come down to the wet test, cost and dealer.

As each dealer tries to seperate themselves from thier competitors and try to diiferentiate thier product form others, it may get more complicted than it should. Don't let it become a pain.

Stick with a quality brand and a reputable dealer. Here's some small hints to help keep your head on straight when it starts to get confusing:

Know your budget.

Check the dealer out.

Know where you stand on "the extra's" (Stereo, waterfalls, light packages). How important are each of these features, if important at all?

When comparing prices, make sure cover, the lifter, steps and delivery are all included and note if they are of similliar quality. Short plastic steps cost a hundred bucks. Long wooden steps, several hundred. An entry level cover lifter cost significantly less than the higher end models. (And is install of the lifter included?). Some dealers include Ozone in the price, others option it out. (get the CD ozone option, IMHO)

Do you have any unique delivery issues that could effect any delivey costs?

The "Free Chemicals" all the dealers say they include? Phhht. usually it's a starter pack of sample sizes, don't let the dealer make this out like they are givving you a huge break.

Filtration? Yea, each brand has the "Best system". Among the top brands, they all filter very well. Don't let this become a point of confusion.

One of the nicer "Comes with" is with the Watkins familly of tubs (Hotspring, Caldera, Tiger River etc) all include the electrical sub panel in the deal. This is a Legit $75+ value.

IT never hurts to see if a dealer will sweeten the deal with an extra set of filters, or upgrades to the lifter or steps.

That being said.....

This winter, when everything is said and done it wont matter if you got a free rubber ducky, or a free robe, - but the quality of the hot tub's therapy quality and performance willl.

Oh, yea. Have fun. Buying a new hot tub is one of life's good things. :D

Oh yea, I'd add Caldera to your short list. ;)

Bring a note book and take notes of things like, how noisy or loud is it on low and high? How hard is it to operate? How powerfull are the jets on a scale of 1 to 10? Do the jets itch after a short time? Is the seating comfortable? Was the dealer knowledgable without dissing the competition? Use the same criteria for all those wet tested. A clear winner should emerge.

Just an addition.

Look hard into warranties and energy costs. Read the warranties closely.

Don't go by quoted horsepower. Feel the jets and find the ones most soothing to you.

Above all find one that is comfortable for you - that is the most important thing.

Good Luck.