Heater Issue ( Sta-Right, Max-E Therm Sr400Na )

Sturno55

Hello, I am having an issue with a Max-e therm heater. Some mice got inside and chewed up some wires so I reconnected what seemed to be all of them but I am still getting error code R-9 which I read in this forum is a boot up message. I opened the display to reveal the motherboard and I am seeing a red light on what appears to be CR15. A tiny little connection on the board that doesnt look fried or anything. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Maybe I am misreading the label but its hard to tell what number is for what connection. It could also be U11 but cr15 looks closer. PS there is another red light and a green light on but they are showing through from the otherside of the display.

Thanks for any and all help :)

Does it say AFS right next to the light?

If your heater's blower is not coming on:

Check connection/wiring to the blower(rats).

Check wires F1 and F2 from the ign box to the board for connection and, well, evidence of rats . While youre in the ign box, check the fuse, Rat eating the right wire could cause a short that would blow that fuse.

Check that your membrane(touch pad) is still intact and is not de-laminating. Iv'e seen this turn off the heater, then stop responding to touches, effectively locking out the human.

Check the automation heater switch wire(if applicable) for rat-age.

Just so i got it right, you apply power to the heater, heater boots up(silent) and then it goes dark?

Thanks Spa Guru: I apply power to the heater, it goes through its sequence then the " check Heater" light comes on and the temp is displayed on the display but the blower never turns on.

I checked it this morning again and it does say AFI near the light- The blower motor looks like the mice used it for a toilet and it sparked when I tried to disconnect the white wire connection leading to it. My buddy tested it with a volt meter and said there is power going to the motor so he recommended replacing the entire blower system. They are expensive so I want to be sure that is the problem.

I'll check the fuses again but I am pretty sure they are ok. The motor itself does still spin so maybe its just a part of the motor and not the entire thing that needs to be replaced?

The motor itself does still spin so maybe its just a part of the motor and not the entire thing that needs to be replaced?

Correct.

Problem is i do not know of any motor fix for this that doesn't involve replacing the whole thing. Unless you have a local motor guy that is willing to take it on maybe?

Thanks for the help. I ended up finding a used blower and just changed the whole thing out- problem solved. Its making a whistling sound now but ive heard that the older blowers will do that so I guess there isn't much I can do unless I find a new used blower. I'm saving the old bad blower and will take it apart in the winter to see if there is anything obviously wrong with it that I can fix.

Its making a whistling sound now but ive heard that the older blowers will do that.

You are correct, they do that. You can try throttle-ing the gas valve a little(the one on the outside of the heater) to get the whistle to stop, but you didn't hear that from me.

• 2 weeks later...

I do now that there are different gas orifices for that heater depending on your altitude. Be sure you are using the correct orifice. Also, keep in mind that throttling the valve down cuts down the gas to the heater and could cause a sooting condition that would not show itself at first.