Problem With Fiberglass Gel Coat?

roversson

I have a 14 year old in ground fiberglass pool which is causing cloudy pool water when you touch the pool wall or agitate the water.

It appears that something may be mildly or moderately dissolving the outer surface of the gel coat. I wonder if that could even be possible?

If you have seen this in a fiberglass pool, what was the cure, if a cure is known? It is baffling.

It is possible if the gel coat contains substantial amounts of calcium carbonate. That's why the rule for fiberglass is "it depends". Also, calcium can help prevent cobalt spotting. However, if the water has been like this for 14 years and it's only now showing signs of deterioration, it may not be the lack of calcium unless that's been a recent change.

This pool was new to me last year.

I expect that the calcium has been at a normal level in prior years. No way to know for sure.

My main question is whether others have experienced extensive chalking of fiberglass pools and what they found as potential causes and solutions!

Experiences welcomed!

• 2 months later...