Hayward Super Pump Bearings

JAAS

pool center dot com

you're right, it's the bearings. I do bearings as a tech, it makes me money and saves my customer money. However I have done enough to know that you may be better off at purchasing just a new motor. By the time you find the right bearing, and master getting them off and the new ones on, you're frustration level will be throught the roof. If I can't talk to you out of it....

1) remove the motor from the board, at the board. Whip still attached. go to your work bench. remove the whip... trust me on this!

2) 4 bolts hold the motor together. they are the length of the motor and go all the way from the back to the front. score the front face plate to reference with the motor housing and the back plate too. remove these 4 bolts. be gentle. if 1 breaks, no big deal, if 2 break opposite each other, fine, if 2 break next to each other sell the motor for weight at a scrap joint and buy a nother.

3) The back plate comes off easily remove it and disconnect the wiring (spade connectors)

4) The front plate will come off and take with it the shaft and "core" of the motor.

5) there is a tab that loosens with a screw on the front face plate that holds the bearing into the face plate. Remove the screw (not completely, just enough the tab moves out of the way) Then remove the front face plate. I use a 3 jaw puller, you can "rent" one from any automotive parts place (auto-zone, napa, o'reilys)

6) now you have a shaft with 2 bearings attached to each end, use your puller and remove these, hope you got a good puller!!!

7) clean the shaft with break cleaner and install new bearings on the shaft using a pipe small enough that you are only striking the metal center of the bearing and fits around the shaft.

8) reassemble in reverse order.

a 203 bearing is most common, i carry 4 to 1 ratio to other bearings. Remember, your bearings went bad because your pump seal is bad, replace it too

If you don't have the tools (bearing puller and re-seating tools) then you are better off letting a service center do the replacement. I would charge you about $40.00 labor to do it, so don't let anyone screw you. It's not hard, but you must have the right tools. I usually find that only the front bearing needs to be replaced. It is the one that gets water in it due to a faulty seal. 99% of the time the rear bearing is okay.

• 4 years later...

I just purchased 2 new bearings, shaft seal and a bearing puller from http://www.wetheadpumprepair.com

Their customer service is awesome and they stand behind what they sell. I checked into this, and wanted to be sure I was getting quality bearings and parts, and their reputation is great. Will report back.

Here is the noise my 8 yr old pump is making, the 6203 bearings.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M_2Kpuq_xY