New Spa And Pool Owner

I also posted questions about my spa in the spa forum. I am having trouble with both. I bought a intex easy up pool. I filled it, balanced my ph and ta, added my chlorine floater with a few tablets in it, I then shocked it. My chlorine was good for a couple days but then dropped again. I added more shock to boost the chlorine levels. I noticed that my tubing for my filter had a brown tint and the pre filter also had it to. I took the filter out and cleaned it really well. Yesterday I noticed there is actually brown spots all over the floor. I shocked it again and I am going to vacuum it tonight. I'm not sure what is causing problems, but the water is still crystal clear.

• 1 year later...

Shelley Hill Pools has over 40 years of experience providing in ground, concrete, indoor, built in, and infinity pools, in new york, hudson valley. Our focus on quality and aesthetics has made us one of the leading providers of high-end pools in the community, which is why we are the top choice for many of your neighbors. you can look us up at shelleyhillswimmingpools.com

Sounds like you may have metal stains, probably iron, and when you shock if it's with a hypochlorite source of chlorine then the combination of higher chlorine levels and especially higher pH precipitates ferric (iron) oxides. If you had a plaster pool you'd likely see staining on it instead but since you have a vinyl pool surface you are seeing staining on white plastic parts. Is your water from a well? Perhaps you should use a metal filter before filling the pool or use a metal sequestrant.

If you take a crushed vitamin C tablet or some ascorbic acid (same thing) and put it over the stain (say in some cheesecloth) then if the stain fades it's most likely iron. See Metals in the Water and Metal Stains.

• 3 weeks later...